Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ghosn Steps Down as Nissan CEO

Old 02-27-17, 10:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it may have styled after a toilet, but it sure didn't drive like one. I thought it drove better than the Lexus ES of that vintage, but that, of course, was to change with the later, superb 4Gen ES.
Its the prettiest looking toilet I've ever seen. Both the J30 and 1st gen Altima are very 90's designs, but hey at least they were unique. The J30 was RWD, I think it had the same chassis as the larger Q45. In Japan you could get this car with the V8 out of the Q45, of course back in the 1990's Nissan never gave us any cool performance options. No surprise that it drove better than the more conventional, FWD, Camry based ES300, it was using a much more sophisticated chassis.
Old 02-28-17, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Its the prettiest looking toilet I've ever seen. Both the J30 and 1st gen Altima are very 90's designs, but hey at least they were unique. The J30 was RWD, I think it had the same chassis as the larger Q45. In Japan you could get this car with the V8 out of the Q45, of course back in the 1990's Nissan never gave us any cool performance options. No surprise that it drove better than the more conventional, FWD, Camry based ES300, it was using a much more sophisticated chassis.

When I said it drove better than the early-vintage ES models, I was referring to more of a big, refined, quiet, luxury-car feel. More refined and smoother-driving ES models did not come, IMO, until several years later.
Old 02-28-17, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, since the thread is on Ghosn, how would you rate his performance, overall, in handling Nissan? I won't necessarily add a poll because they're are many different answers.

I'd give him probably between a 6 or 7 out of 10. His actions did, in fact, save Nissan and Infiniti from bankruptcy (which, at the time, was Project A). But, in doing so, after the late 1990s, we got a string of what were IMO were unimpressive and cheapened-out Nissan products, and, later on, declining reliability. Some of the former "niceness" of the old Nissan products has recently come back, though, as the need for cost-cutting was waned. And he did OK the return of the 350Z sports car, though the initial version had an insultingly cheap interior and serious suspension/tire wear issues...Nissan replaced a lot of tires and did a lot of suspension work under warranty, losing money. And, of course, there was Nissan's well-known money losses from overestimating the residual value of lease vehicles. He did, however, accomplish what he set out to do, albeit with some initially unpleasant results.
Old 02-28-17, 09:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Not quite sure what you mean? The Altima, in 1993, was after the Stanza, not before it.

I was a big fan of the non-sporting versions of the 1Gen Altima....in fact, strongly considered buying one. They had very nice interior trim, rode comfortably and quietly, and shifted like butter...in an era when many automatics tended to downshift (and sometimes upshift) with a noticeable bump. Later on, though, cost-cutting cheapened the car.

First Gen Altima had a very nice interior for the class of vehicle it was in and was praised for it, it was styled somewhat like the Infinti J30 inside and out, 2nd Gen Altima took a nose dive in interior quality and was noticeably cost cut, 3rd Gen Altima I believe was the Ghosn Altima which grew significantly in size from the previous in between size Alitima's, engine grew in size from normal 3 liter in class to 3.5 and power was highest in class, interior was pretty cheap but it was a package Americans liked and they sold a lot. The 3rd Gen was the car that more or less spurned competitors to up their engines to 3.5 liters with more power and grow in size.

Last edited by UDel; 02-28-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-28-17, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I remember first seeing a J30 when I was in high school, walked up to it and checked it out, very impressed and shocked at the design, it was a cream colored one and was very unique. I believe it was based on a Nissan Gloria.Cedric chassis which was smaller then a Q45 or maybe they are related and it was basically a rebadged Nissan Leopard. It only had the base 200hp 300ZX V6 engine in it unfortunately and did not offer the 300hp turbo powerplant or V8 in the US. I think in Japan it might have had a V8 option. It never sold well because it was too cramped in the rear and too small for a mid class competitor and too expensive for a entry level competitor.
Old 02-28-17, 03:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Anyhow, since the thread is on Ghosn, how would you rate his performance, overall, in handling Nissan? I won't necessarily add a poll because they're are many different answers.

I'd give him probably between a 6 or 7 out of 10. His actions did, in fact, save Nissan and Infiniti from bankruptcy (which, at the time, was Project A). But, in doing so, after the late 1990s, we got a string of what were IMO were unimpressive and cheapened-out Nissan products, and, later on, declining reliability. Some of the former "niceness" of the old Nissan products has recently come back, though, as the need for cost-cutting was waned. And he did OK the return of the 350Z sports car, though the initial version had an insultingly cheap interior and serious suspension/tire wear issues...Nissan replaced a lot of tires and did a lot of suspension work under warranty, losing money. And, of course, there was Nissan's well-known money losses from overestimating the residual value of lease vehicles. He did, however, accomplish what he set out to do, albeit with some initially unpleasant results.
I'd give Ghosn 4 out of 10 in the way he ran Nissan. Products under his watch were garbage. Quality sucked. Buddy had a 2007 or 2008 Nissan Frontier with 100k miles on it. Within a year he had to replace the transmission, the radiator, the a/c compressor and the heater core. Always well maintained, great looking truck. Drove really tight and had A LOT of power with the V6. Just under the skin, cost cutting everywhere, mechanically a piece of junk. Ghosn made desirable products like the 2003 Altima, Frontier pickup, Infiniti G35(Infiniti was DOA until they released that car), Murano SUV, 350Z, the GT-R. Its just that once you owned it for a while, they went to ***** from all the cheap components under the hood.

I will give Ghosn some props for reviving Infiniti with the G35. Before that car came along, they were dead in the water with the expensive Q45 that never sold well and 3 poorly done rebadges of other Nissans. That car sold like hotcakes, was great to drive, handled well, FAST, looked great, really kind of shook the market up back in the 2000's.
Old 02-28-17, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I remember first seeing a J30 when I was in high school, walked up to it and checked it out, very impressed and shocked at the design, it was a cream colored one and was very unique. I believe it was based on a Nissan Gloria.
No.....the Nissan Gloria was the basis for the 1Gen M45, not J30.
Old 02-28-17, 06:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I'm starting to think I'm the only one on CL who thought the J30 was atrocious. I have hated that thing since it was introduced.

The first gen Q45 however was lust for me.
Old 02-28-17, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm starting to think I'm the only one on CL who thought the J30 was atrocious. I have hated that thing since it was introduced.
Well, like I said earlier in the thread, I thought the styling was awkward, and the rear end looked like an egg compared to the rest of the car. Drove nice, though....mechanically, it certainly was not a piece of junk. But, yes, it was a good example of why Lexus overtook Infiniti in sales back then.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-28-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 07:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

The first gen Q45 however was lust for me.
Well, I guess it is kind of like the Lexus designs of today. They are controversial. Some like them, some don't. At the time, I thought it was what a modern Jaguar S-Type should have looked like. Got lots of compliments on it. We all have our own tastes, and that's what makes the world go round.
Old 03-16-17, 07:24 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

So is he still the CEO or chairman of the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi entity??? From what I've read he stepped out of his role of running Nissan on a day to day basis to concentrate on "the alliance" as they call it. Maybe I'm simplifying it a bit here, but it looks like he was promoted.

Also I'm kind of curious as to why Nissan was in such financial trouble back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Their cars from that time period were better built(and IMO the designs were better too) than the crap post Ghosn made in the 2000's. Did Nissan get hit hard when the bubble economy popped in Japan back in the 1990's???
Yes they were badly affected by that, but this problem dated to even as early as the 1980s. Even before Ghosn, one couldn't blame CEO Yoshikazu Hanawa (1996-2001), Yoshifume Tsuji (1992-96) nor even that of CEO Yutaka Kume (1985-1992), as the latter CEO spent a huge amount of money to churn out desirable Nissan products for the late 1980s to 1995 era and the Infiniti line in 1989. I have to wonder what Nissan CEO from 1977 to 1985, Takashi Ishihara, did in the first place or that of his predecessors, to land Nissan in trouble?

Not quite sure what you mean? The Altima, in 1993, was after the Stanza, not before it.

I was a big fan of the non-sporting versions of the 1Gen Altima....in fact, strongly considered buying one. They had very nice interior trim, rode comfortably and quietly, and shifted like butter...in an era when many automatics tended to downshift (and sometimes upshift) with a noticeable bump. Later on, though, cost-cutting cheapened the car.
The Altima was not introduced in 1993 though and was developed during the bubble economy from 1987 to 1992. It was introduced outside the U.S. in late 1991 as Bluebird (U13) and in went into production as the Altima Stanza in June 1992. It dropped the Stanza suffix in 1993 for MY 1994, when minor changes were made to accommodate a passenger side airbag. The final design for the Altima was approved in 1988, as every Nissan back then required 36-42 months of lead time from design approval to Job #1. That margin was reduced to 30 months by 1999 and drastically to 20-24 months by 2003 under Ghosn. Presently, their lead times have gone back up to that 36-42 month range, especially for the 2018 QX50.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Totally agree. We leased an '06 Maxima as a third car because we were putting so many miles on our primary cars. The interior was terrible. Hard plastic painted like aluminum and cheap orange lighting in the gauges. The paint quality was no better, but the lease was cheap.

I also owned an '06 Infiniti M45 Sport at the time. There were a lot of cost-cutting measures that were evident in the interior, but it sure was a pleasure to drive. That's when Infiniti was chasing BMW.

But yes, Ghosn was clearly responsible for those cheap interior materials.
Not sure how this was a cheap interior? The Y50 M was an improvement on FM platform interiors of the early 2000s, as they mandated with all Infiniti and Nissan redesigns entering production starting Q4 of 2004 (2006 models) and improved even more with redesigns entering production in Q4 2009 (2011 models).

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, I had a '93 Infiniti J30, and that style trickled down to the Altima. It looked like a mini-J30. Looked nice.
The J30 design was created at the same studio in San Diego as the Altima during the late 1980s, but the U13 Altima was actually designed first. The design for the U13 Altima was approved sometime in the autumn of 1988 and the J30 in the early months of 1989. The design for Altima-Stanza had been frozen by around March 1989, even though the US market barely got in September 1992. The USA studio head Jerry Hirshberg had more input in the J30 design, but Allan Flowers who worked under him, was directly responsible for designing the Altima exterior in 1988. The J30 might have been launched in late April 1992 before the Altima-Stanza in the U.S. for this reason, as opposed to the staggered launch date for the Altima of September 1992. They didn't want the economy brand product to introduce similar styling before the luxury brand model.

I'd give Ghosn 4 out of 10 in the way he ran Nissan. Products under his watch were garbage. Quality sucked. Buddy had a 2007 or 2008 Nissan Frontier with 100k miles on it. Within a year he had to replace the transmission, the radiator, the a/c compressor and the heater core. Always well maintained, great looking truck. Drove really tight and had A LOT of power with the V6. Just under the skin, cost cutting everywhere, mechanically a piece of junk. Ghosn made desirable products like the 2003 Altima, Frontier pickup, Infiniti G35(Infiniti was DOA until they released that car), Murano SUV, 350Z, the GT-R. Its just that once you owned it for a while, they went to ***** from all the cheap components under the hood.

I will give Ghosn some props for reviving Infiniti with the G35. Before that car came along, they were dead in the water with the expensive Q45 that never sold well and 3 poorly done rebadges of other Nissans. That car sold like hotcakes, was great to drive, handled well, FAST, looked great, really kind of shook the market up back in the 2000's.
Not sure how that makes sense regarding the Frontier (being desirable), as the first generation was entirely a Japanese development from 1991 to 1997. The 1st generation Frontier mid-cycle update introduced in 2000 for '01 MY, was designed by Nissan Design in La Jolla (same lady did led design on new H61 Titan), but by the time he moved to Tokyo in May 1999, the facelift had been finalized for many months, being that it need to be ready by mid-2000 for the assembly line. Unless you meant, the second generation D40.

April 2001 COO Carlos Ghosn stands next to 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 V6.(right)

Carlos Ghosn, April 18, 2001 New York Auto International Show Presentation of 2002 Nissan Altima (left)
The redesigned 2002 Altima launched in September 2001 (not 2003) hardly had anything to do with him (even if he presented at '01 NYIAS), as outside of him shifting around supplier agreements and making excessive cost-reductions, he wasn't there until after many points in development had been reached. The design for the 2002 Altima had been finished in early 1999, save its design freeze later in 1999. Ghosn had no influence on that part of development. Only testing and production development of the chosen design and eliminating certain processes at those stages to cost costs.

Ghosn presents Z Concept on January 8, 2001 at Detroit NAIAS

Alpha-T (Titan Concept) Presented By Carlos Ghosn on January 8, 2001 at Detroit NAIAS.

Ideation Design and Ornamental Sketches For Nissan A60 trucks dated 2000 (TA60), January 2001 (WA60 SUV) and August 2001 (JA60 Infiniti)

Ghosn surprises audience with GT-R Concept at Tokyo Motor Show, October 2001

2001 GT-R Concept

Nissan Fairlady Z / 350Z presented at Tokyo Motor Show alongside surprise GT-R Concept, October 2001

CEO Ghosn with new Nissan Murano

Carlos Ghosn observing R35 Mock-Ups in 2004

Ghosn presents Nissan GT-R (R35) at Tokyo Motor Show, Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Now for the primary reason that I even commented: More than anything, creation of the G35 had nothing to do with Carlos Ghosn in any respect. I give him credit for Titan and A60 truck family (Pathfinder-Armada, QX56), Murano, and pushing the Z car and GT-R to production. The G35 had been long in the cards as an R33 Skyline successor and G20 replacement in North America, but funds would not allow them to commit to developing a new RWD platform so easily. Carlos Ghosn did not even become CEO until June 2001 and only became COO in June 1999, with special privileges granted to him during 1999-2001 by a nervous and helpless CEO in Yoshikazu Hanawa (who was pushed aside in the end).

Nissan Motor Co. CEO Yoshikazu Hanawa and COO Carlos Ghosn, 1999

Nissan's target competitor in 1994 for premium Skyline R33 successor, planned for late 1990s. The BMW E36 3-Series

Nissan Skyline R33 (1993-1998), what the new luxury sports sedan would replace in global markets.

V35 development began in 1994 at the planning stage with the intention to build an E36 3-Series competitor, moving a bit more forward in 1995. At the time Toyota Motor Co. more flush with cash than Nissan, hypothesized an 3-Series competitor in 1993 and in early 1994 gave full approval to developing a RWD sports sedan under the 038T code for late 1998-early 1999 introduction. In late 1995, Toyota completed design work on what became known as the "Altezza" and "Lexus IS 200". In the meantime at Nissan, a once again heavily revised JDM Skyline was green-lighted as a placeholder and formally approved in 1996. It launched as the R34 Skyline in May 1998 (phased out in 2001).

Nissan Skyline R34 Sedan (1998 - 2001)

P11 Nissan Primera, 1995

Infiniti G20t (P11), 1998

1994 - 1996 Infiniti G20t (P10)

Also in May 1998, a new Infiiniti G20 went into production as a 1999 model for North America, based on the P11 Primera introduced to Japan in September 1995 and Europe in 1996. The previous P10 Primera was the basis of the 1991 G20 (introduced in September 1990) and despite refreshing it twice in April 1993 and February 1994, it was discontinued in mid-1996 in favour of the RWD replacement platform targeted for the late 1990s. Going back to April 1993, Nissan had frozen design work on their 2nd generation Primera (P11) due in the fall of 1995, after the P11 receiving internal styling department approval during 1992. Intending to replace the Primera-based G20 with an Infiniti-badged LHD Skyline R33, they opted to not develop a new P11-based G20. By late 1995, the R33 Skyline and now incoming R34 for 1998 were still deemed unfavourable for the LHD and U.S. markets, so Nissan reverted back to developing a Primera-based G20 in time for 1998 launch. Both R33 of 1993 and R34 of 1998 were still able to trace their roots to the R32 launched in May 1989, somewhat aging by then.

For the V35 programme, it wasn't until the late 1990s, things started moving more forward, even at the risk of increasing Nissan's severely mounting debt. In January 1998, the body design for the V35 was approved by Japanese-led management and frozen for production later that year. Due to delays related to finances, it didn't enter production until June 2001 as the V35 Skyline.
V35 Programme Ideation Design Sketches 1997, 1998

F50 Ideation Design Sketches, dated 1997

1999 Nissan XVL "Concept" and October 1999 Introduction at Tokyo Motor Show

In the meantime, Nissan secretly revealed the Infiniti G20 replacement and 2002 Q45 to journalists at the New York International Auto Show in April 1999 in a "no cameras allowed" segment and media embargo on details, to show the media that the troubled company still had a future and what to expect in addition to the redesigned 2000 Infiniti I30 saloon. The V35 made its public debut later that year at the Tokyo Motor Show in October 1999 as the XVL Concept. Anyone with common sense could see, this was a future production car with full engineering behind it. The VQ35 was already in the engine bay, sans labeling. The only exterior changes were placement of the gas tank door and grille insert. Much of XVL's interior suffered in the serial V35 production car, due to Ghosn's cost-cutting affecting material quality.

2003 Infiniti G35 Press Shots, May 2001 (except Black Sport Interior photos dated September 2002)

Many production-ready soft touch surfaces on the XVL"Concept" were replaced with harder, less durable material by the time of Job #1 for Skyline in mid-2001 and early 2002 for G35. (see above photo) This was not corrected until the 2005 MY G35 refresh in late 2004 and interior quality further improved in the redesigned V36 in 2006, as originally intended with the XVL. The XVL as it appeared, was the production V35 for all intents and purposes, only altering minor details.

NAIAS 2000 Infiniti XVL "Concept", November 1999

2003 Infiniti G35, Press Photography, May 2001 (top left)
2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sport, 2002 (bottom two photos)
G35 Facelift 2005 MY Interior Press Photography, April 2004 (top right)

As you see, Carlos Ghosn cannot be credited for that nor any 2002 model year Nissans creatively. His creative touch did not appear until the second half of 2002, in the form of 2003 model year cars such as the 350Z, Murano, Infiniti FX35/45, and others. The only thing he championed for the 2002 model year, would the be hot compact 6-speed manual Sentra SE-R Spec V (photo links), but surely even that was in the cards as he boarded the jet from Charles de Gaulle to Haneda in 1999.

Anything thing else on his agenda would be purely cost-focused during the 2000-02 model years, leaving creative ventures for the 2003+ model years. Expanding on the FF-L, F-Alpha, and FM platforms and absorbing other existing Nissan products into them, are what he did well. Those who feared him most were division directors and executives, who were often axed with no mercy from him if he saw the slightest loss or profit reduction. What do you think happened to Johan de Nysschen (now at Cadillac), who just couldn't achieve anything with stale products and hardly any budget to meet his targets for new ones?

I am only particular about this subject, due to being a motoring enthusiast and member of the industry, as well as the fact my father has a good amount of Nissan-related investments, so something like this matters a great deal to me. Please visit here, if anyone is interested in knowing more on this subject.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-16-17 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 08:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ Thanks for the great post!!!!

And yes I was referring to the Nissan D40, aka 2nd gen Frontier that my brother owned(I think his was a 2008 or 2007). I could see why people got suckered into Nissan with that truck, as I thought it looked great, interior was nice(for the time), but the driving dyanmics were what really set it apart. Tight, direct steering, not a lot of body roll, and man one hell of an engine/automatic trans combo. Throttle response/power/acceleration is light years ahead of any automatic Tacoma ever produced(including the new model which always upshifts way too soon before the peaky engine hits its sweet spot past 3000rpm)
Old 03-16-17, 10:53 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

^ Thanks for the great post!!!!

And yes I was referring to the Nissan D40, aka 2nd gen Frontier that my brother owned(I think his was a 2008 or 2007). I could see why people got suckered into Nissan with that truck, as I thought it looked great, interior was nice(for the time), but the driving dyanmics were what really set it apart. Tight, direct steering, not a lot of body roll, and man one hell of an engine/automatic trans combo. Throttle response/power/acceleration is light years ahead of any automatic Tacoma ever produced(including the new model which always upshifts way too soon before the peaky engine hits its sweet spot past 3000rpm)

You're welcome, glad to hear it was a good read. Thank you. Yes, I do agree with you on the D40 Frontier being a desirable truck for its time (considering the GM twins and non-FX4 II Ranger). Interestingly enough, they still sell it today. I had been told in early 2016 it would be redesigned for the 2017 model year with Job #1 date of January 2017, but mysteriously enough it got pushed back again and the MY 2017 was pushed forward Job #1 of October 2016, thus another model year for the D40. This doesn't sound typical for most OEMs, but it is very typical with Nissan.

I am hoping the new CEO allows new products to push forward as needed, which for some reason Ghosn held back on. Is Nissan too big for its britches is one question I have to ask, if when they do develop quality new products on time, they go into the red? It's almost as if any sales they do get, are for nothing if there's really no money left for product development. As if the customers contributions somehow do not matter and as if they are buying Nissans and Infinitis for free (obviously not true).

Ghosn has claimed unlike Toyota, where people are there to buy because of the Toyota nameplate, Nissan customers are interested in a single model and nothing else. A Corolla customer will buy a Camry, RAV4, or Avalon. But somehow, an Altima customer will not buy a Maxima or Murano. I never understood that, but respect the man greatly as a person (even if I would never want to be an exec under him).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-17-17 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Minor typo
Old 03-17-17, 09:07 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
I am only particular about this subject, due to being a motoring enthusiast and member of the industry, as well as the fact my father has a good amount of Nissan-related investments, so something like this matters a great deal to me. Please visit here, if anyone is interested in knowing more on this subject.
Wow, that's the great information.
Every time you posts about lexus, you have more in depth information. I didn't know you have that much about nissan also.
Old 03-17-17, 09:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I also liked the j30 toilet.
With the droopy trunk though, I always wonder WTH can you put in there though.

However, that is nothing compared to this monstrosity..........

Originally Posted by cmk1

Ghosn has claimed unlike Toyota, where people are there to buy because of the Toyota nameplate, Nissan customers are interested in a single model and nothing else. A Corolla will buy a Camry, RAV4, or Avalon. But somehow, an Altima customer will not buy a Maxima or Murano. I never understood that, but respect the man greatly as a person (even if I would never want to be an exec under him).
Well, Toyota's reputation is reliability so I can see that.
Currently, nissan has nothing that I'm remotely interested in, maybe a maxima.

At one point way earlier on, the altima gained in size and a v6 with hp that was close to the maxima I thought what was the point of getting a maxima?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ghosn Steps Down as Nissan CEO