Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts about cars ---- from the Canadian International Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 10:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The real wood is pretty good. However I can't believe someone would make the purchase of a CX9 over others cars just because a few pieces of fake wood.
Agreed....a strip of wood (or fake wood) should probably not be either a deal-maker or a deal-beaker. It can, though, be a nicer touch on what is already a nice product.
Old 02-25-17, 07:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The real wood is pretty good. However I can't believe someone would make the purchase of a CX9 over others cars just because a few pieces of fake wood.
I agree. But if you are sitting in a "family" SUV with nice wood trim, and upgraded leather, after sitting in a Honda or Toyota, many people will "feel" like it's more upscale. PLUS the price is good. PLUS it's got the best gas mileage in the category. Non-car people are swayed by a multitude of things--including lack of a panoramic sunroof...
Old 02-25-17, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree. But if you are sitting in a "family" SUV with nice wood trim, and upgraded leather, after sitting in a Honda or Toyota, many people will "feel" like it's more upscale. PLUS the price is good. PLUS it's got the best gas mileage in the category. Non-car people are swayed by a multitude of things--including lack of a panoramic sunroof...
Interesting. I wonder if us members on this forum overthink this too much. I also wonder if we discount what companies like Honda and Toyota know with their Pilot and Highlander SUVs. The space and function of the Pilot and Highlander are so much more superior and from just sitting next to other guests and hearing their comments, the CX9 did not impress. It is very strange, you would think a nice interior of the CX9 would sway over more people. But like it was said earlier, the CX9 is struggling for sales.
Old 02-25-17, 08:18 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

How does the CX9 drive compared to the others. That's a HUGE factor when comparing any car even though it's primarily built for utility. I primarily chose the Odyssey over the Sienna because of how it handled and felt. If I'm going to haul this around all weekend with the kids, it better feel okay. I've driven SUVs where taking any turn felt like it would roll. If the CX9 feels more like an X5 than a Highlander, I could see people going for it.
Old 02-25-17, 08:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think the new CX-9 is great, but a bit too small for us and I'm just not on board with the 4 cylinder, but the interior is beautiful.

No panoramic sunroof is a deal breaker for us. After having it in the Highlander, I don't think we would go back.
Old 02-25-17, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
How does the CX9 drive compared to the others. That's a HUGE factor when comparing any car even though it's primarily built for utility. I primarily chose the Odyssey over the Sienna because of how it handled and felt. If I'm going to haul this around all weekend with the kids, it better feel okay. I've driven SUVs where taking any turn felt like it would roll. If the CX9 feels more like an X5 than a Highlander, I could see people going for it.
I agree with what you are saying. But in my experience, a softer ride usually has a little more roll than a firmer ride. I really do think we all take for granted what the average person really wants.

After seeing all of the brands under the same roof, it is amazing to see what people are flocking to and what they pick up. On paper, the CX9 should be a big winner. But apparently not.
Old 02-25-17, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Did Buick have the next-generation 2018 Regal there at the show? With new Veranos disappearing from the American market, that is going to become a more important model in Buick's line-up. There are also strong rumors of a 5-door wagon version coming over from Europe, where the Opel version has been quite popular. Combine that with the AWD option that the Regal currently has, and that could (?) be a good competitor to upper-trim versions of the Subaru Outback and lower-trim versions of the Audi All-road and Volvo XC-70...though the Regal's lower-stance and suspension might actually place it closer to the Legacy wagon, which was discontinued in the U.S. several years ago.

I was hoping to see the Next-Gen Regal here in D.C. last month, but Buick did not bring it.
Old 02-25-17, 08:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Looking at Mazda's January sales you can see that the CX5 (old model about to be updated) is their high volume bread and butter CUV. It sold 8,068 units vs. the new CX9 at 1,591. Only one month but still telling.

For 2016 it was 112,235 CX5's vs. 16,051 CX9's.

Hopefully the new CX9 catches on with buyers.
Old 02-25-17, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Looking at Mazda's January sales you can see that the CX5 (old model about to be updated) is their high volume bread and butter CUV. It sold 8,068 units vs. the new CX9 at 1,591. Only one month but still telling.

Part of the problem with the CX-9 is not the vehicle itself, but simply the huge popularity of the Highlander, Explorer, and Pilot. Those three are so entrenched in the marketplace that it is difficult for competitors to seriously challenge them.

Toyota itself has experienced that trying to break into the domestic full-size pick-up market.
Old 02-25-17, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did Buick have the next-generation 2018 Regal there at the show? .
No new Regal. Just the Avenir and Buick inspired cafe on the car floor.

Also, no Tesla, or we did not see one.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-25-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 10:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Part of the problem with the CX-9 is not the vehicle itself, but simply the huge popularity of the Highlander, Explorer, and Pilot. Those three are so entrenched in the marketplace that it is difficult for competitors to seriously challenge them.

Toyota itself has experienced that trying to break into the domestic full-size pick-up market.
Originally Posted by LexBob2

Interestingly, I did a comparison of the Highlander, CX9, Pilot and Pathfinder. The CX9 measurements are very good, however when you look at the details you can see deficiencies, front leg room and rear shoulder room are significantly down on the CX9, interior cargo capacity is five cubit feet less than the Highlander and a whopping 20 cubic feet less than the Pilot. However the wheelbase is longer than the Pilot and Highlander. I also think the lack of a V6 is significant for the price you are paying. Same MPG as the Highlander but a huge decrease in HP for the same money or similar.
Old 02-25-17, 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The automotive press has long raved about Mazda driving dynamics vs its competitors, and the same is true for the new CX-9. But, again, outside car people, I do not think most people car about this, and I do think, in this class, most customers would prefer a soft, cushy, floaty ride. And most don't even really know what they are buying. My neighbor has a Santa Fe coming off lease. I suggested he look at the new CX-9, and told him it will get better gas mileage with the turbo 4. He said "I thought I have a 4." And this is a guy that won't buy new underwear without extensive research. Car buying is intimidating for a lot of people, and many just make a decision based on some odd thing that we would never think of.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-25-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 11:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Well you could have said the exact same thing about the CX-5 when it first debuted, as compared to the CR-V, RAV-4 and Escape. And, in fact, Mazda changed the engine choices in the 2nd MY, so you could say the initial roll-out wasn't perfect. The compact CUV market is pretty crowded, and the CX-5 seemed to do a good job making a name there.
Old 02-25-17, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well you could have said the exact same thing about the CX-5 when it first debuted, as compared to the CR-V, RAV-4 and Escape.
Yes, that's a good point. I'll agree with that.

And, in fact, Mazda changed the engine choices in the 2nd MY, so you could say the initial roll-out wasn't perfect. The compact CUV market is pretty crowded, and the CX-5 seemed to do a good job making a name there.
The initial CX-5 also replaced the Mazda Tribute, a Ford-Escape-clone that went practically nowhere in the American market. It was discontinued in 2011.
Old 02-25-17, 03:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
But the Odyssey and the Sienna are comparable in interior space and comparable in features, so the comparison then comes down to whether you like smoother ride of the Sienna or the sportier handling of the Odyssey. Some prefer the smoother ride, while others, like you, prefer the handling.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think the new CX-9 is great, but a bit too small for us and I'm just not on board with the 4 cylinder, but the interior is beautiful.

No panoramic sunroof is a deal breaker for us. After having it in the Highlander, I don't think we would go back.
The new CX-9 may not sell well just because it is missing the one key feature that people look for when shopping for 3-row minivan-substitutes, which is interior room.

The automotive press has long raved about Mazda driving dynamics vs its competitors, and the same is true for the new CX-9. But, again, outside car people, I do not think most people car about this, and I do think, in this class, most customers would prefer a soft, cushy, floaty ride. And most don't even really know what they are buying. My neighbor has a Santa Fe coming off lease. I suggested he look at the new CX-9, and told him it will get better gas mileage with the turbo 4. He said "I thought I have a 4." And this is a guy that won't buy new underwear without extensive research. Car buying is intimidating for a lot of people, and many just make a decision based on some odd thing that we would never think of.
I agree. I believe that in the CX-9, Mazda has traded form over function. It looks great, inside and out, but the people who are shopping for mass market 3-row people movers are looking for as much space for the buck first and foremost, and then looking at other features; I would venture to guess that sporty handling, and the quality of the wood trim and the leather are (much) further down the list. And if the Honda and Toyota salesperson is good enough, she will be able to talk down the turbocharged engine of the CX-9.

Well you could have said the exact same thing about the CX-5 when it first debuted, as compared to the CR-V, RAV-4 and Escape. And, in fact, Mazda changed the engine choices in the 2nd MY, so you could say the initial roll-out wasn't perfect. The compact CUV market is pretty crowded, and the CX-5 seemed to do a good job making a name there.
The CX-5, after Mazda put in the larger 2.5-litre engine in place of the original 2.0-litre engine is very comparable and so very competitive with the RAV4, CR-V and Ford Escape (the Big 3 in the compact crossover utility vehicle segment). But, in my opinion, Mazda designed the CX-5 as a good CUV first and foremost, selecting function over form. People looking for compact crossovers are looking for function (interior room, enough power to get out of its own way on the freeway but balanced with fuel economy) first and foremost.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about cars ---- from the Canadian International Auto Show