Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't care for the spindle grill and really don't care for the exterior styling of the RX and NX. But, we all know that Lexus is going after a different demographic with the new styling language and sales indicate that it is working. There's no getting around it. It was a somewhat risky move on their part, but it is working.
Exactly. I wouldn't buy an RX or NX either, but clearly people are buying them. They don't need my money if they have that other guys money.

Sure, people buy cars with things they don't love. However, I have a hard time believing people are spending $50,000+ on a vehicle they hate the styling of.
Old 02-25-17, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They don't need my money if they have that other guys money.
No, but they are after both LOL.

Sure, people buy cars with things they don't love. However, I have a hard time believing people are spending $50,000+ on a vehicle they hate the styling of.
Well, we've seen some criticism, on this forum, of the G90's looks. Let's wait and see how it does....although I wouldn't exactly look for LS-level sales overnight.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Criticism of the looks and thinking it's ugly are two different things. I don't love the way the G90 looks, same as I didn't love the way my ES300 looked, or my LS400 or LS430, but I didn't think they were ugly.

Styling is one variable in a car purchase, but again I have a hard time believing people are buying $50,000+ luxury cars that they hate the styling of.
Old 02-25-17, 04:00 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
the funny thing about this site is that the so-called moderators will allow a comment like yours to stand, but if i respond in any like manner my reply will be deleted and i will receive a PM warning (for responding). suffice it to say, i am not impressed by your unscientific YouTube video retorts, nor your rationale that a 2017 model lexus should only be compared against 2006 competitor vehicles simply b/c lexus is choosing to utilize the same drivetrain dating back to that period. feel free to get angry and call me some derogatory names, for i can only assume it is somehow permissible for you to do so.
Cool.

Also I don't recall ever saying a 2017 car should be compared with 2006 cars. I'm saying if you're going to compare, compare cars from the same model year or generation. Putting relatively newer cars against a 2IS just goes to show that the engine was advanced for its time and it can still hold its own today and is undermining your point. I'll give you that for the new generation 3IS they should have put more consideration into making a new higher performance engine for it, but that doesn't detract from how good that engine is in the first place. A drivetrain made in 2005 is only in recent years being beat by competitor cars by a significant margin, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. Not to mention, it has to be pretty good if they're using it in newer cars. Compare a 3IS to the cars you mentioned and it will make more sense. Compare an older car to cars with newer engines, suspensions, electronics, etc. and you lose all credibility for that comparison.

And if we are talking 3IS 0-60, it is actually 5.4-5.5 seconds (Road & Track and Motor Trend respectively), so the time you got is still off. Sorry. At least you tried.

I see you also have not given me any proof that a 328i is faster than an IS350 from 0-60. I'll take that as a 'laughable unsupported claim' then. You called me out on 'unscientific' (because 0-60 times are scientific now I guess) YouTube videos and you can't even give me any evidence to this atrocious claim you made. Again, before calling someone else out, make sure you know what you're saying please. Of course I shouldn't take this too seriously, seeing as you're the same person who said every car enthusiast must be a canyon-carving track day stiff suspension racing person. What a considerate and definitely not at all ignorant statement. Lol.

I also have no idea where you got that last sentence from... but okay. For starters, why is it that every time two people are arguing someone has to assume the other person is angry... And yeah sure. I am definitely given an advantage by the moderators. Yep. 100%. You completely exposed the moderators' bias toward me. You totally got me. We should definitely revolt. How does 'Not my moderators' sound? Good eye man. You should totally become a detective with skills as intricate and advanced as this. Has the FBI tried to recruit you yet? They're missing out!

Last edited by Rezno; 02-26-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 04:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The spindle front debate is getting old. It is working for Lexus. There sales numbers and what people will pay for a Lexus are what is the final proof. Not only that, Lexus has brought out a new product such as the NX and they are coming now with the LC. People are willing to pay more for the RX and tiger products as well than they had so on the past. I don't get all of the second guessing or maybe this or maybe that about the front end. If the sales are up, that is all that needs to be said.
Old 02-25-17, 05:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Read carefully what I said before you make yourself look like an idiot.
(Thx Bo for pointing this out)

Rezno comments like this are not tolerated here. No personal attacks.
Old 02-25-17, 05:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The spindle front debate is getting old. It is working for Lexus. There sales numbers and what people will pay for a Lexus are what is the final proof. Not only that, Lexus has brought out a new product such as the NX and they are coming now with the LC. People are willing to pay more for the RX and tiger products as well than they had so on the past. I don't get all of the second guessing or maybe this or maybe that about the front end. If the sales are up, that is all that needs to be said.
Why would the spindle debate get old? You now have a 2018 Lexus flagship showing up in dealerships later this year and people here are on the front end of that discussion before regular buyers will talk about it. This forum has over 275K members and a lot them are fans of many brands, not just Lexus. The spindle does drive ES/RX sales. That's a different category propelled by fads and quick flash trends. Flagships live in a different zone although they may set styling trends, but they usually tend to be about conservative buyers who don't like extreme polarizing moves.

Here we are talking about a flagship that's competing for six figure car sales. Yes it's true that the Asian aesthetic speaks to details over an overall unifiying theme, and it's Occidental culture vs the Germans simpler, cleaner Bauhaus cues. In the long run over a flagship's existence, simple clean elegance wins over cluttered or overwrought styling. That's why people still have so much love the the LS400.
Old 02-25-17, 05:56 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(Thx Bo for pointing this out)

Rezno comments like this are not tolerated here. No personal attacks.
My bad. I'll remove that.
Old 02-26-17, 12:02 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I will say that I came from BMW and bought a new 3IS F-sport because I love the grill and the entire design on the exterior. If I didn't like the styling, I surely would not have bought this car; even considering the reliability aspect. My GF is now planning on picking up a new RX F-Sport because she too likes the grill. I doubt anybody is willing to buy one of these cars new if they hate the grill/styling of these new Lexus's.
Old 02-26-17, 04:41 PM
ccbcc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought Lexus for its comfy ride and for its reliability. The thing I hate most is the navigation of the infotainment system. The voice recognition from Apple or Google works much much better than the stock system, and Lexus is not joining neither the Android nor iOS cloud:

https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/
Old 02-26-17, 08:27 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Being a Lexus "fan boy" that I am (owning 3) I have never considered Acura in the same league (old NSX excluded - that was a class act). The new grill started out not so pretty but it is evolving (but it is showing up on too many models). Overall Lexus will be fine....
Old 02-27-17, 07:16 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true.

Let the sales numbers be the judge.

If some people don't like it, they don't have to buy it. Plenty of other cars around, cheaper too.

Or if whomever hates the new spindle grill so much AFTER PURCHASE, he or she is welcome to spend the bucks to convert the front bumper/grill to anything else from OEM. So Lexus HQ does not need to offer "another" optional plain generic grill.

I seriously doubt the spindle grill will go away anytime soon.

​​​​

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sales are up, bottom line. The ultimate measure of the markets reaction to a product is sales. More people buy the spindle cars than the pre-spindle cars, bottom.line.

I think it's a hard argument to make people are spending this sort of money on a car they think is ugly.
Old 02-27-17, 07:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

I seriously doubt the spindle grill will go away anytime soon.

​​​​
Good. Cause it's awesome.
Old 02-28-17, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I seriously doubt the spindle grill will go away anytime soon.​​​
It's becoming more organically integrated into the vehicles. The LC and LS are two the the latest examples. Less slapped on than say the CT.
Old 03-01-17, 10:50 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling data from Feb 2017 sales thread. Thanks sears1234 and S2000toIS350. Second straight month of anemic Lexus sedan sales besides ES. Similar to Acura, without strong SUV sales Lexus would be dead in the water while German sedan sales remain strong. Facts don't lie.

The Daimler unit sold 24,522 cars and SUVs in the U.S. last month, a 6.9 percent increase from a year earlier. BMW AG’s namesake brand rose 0.3 percent to 22,558 and Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus line tumbled 21 percent to 18,338

CT-458
IS-1684
ES-2709
GS-536
LS-294

Acura TLX- 2,406
Infiniti Q50- 3,444

Last edited by GTSLEX; 03-01-17 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?