Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 07:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
The newest generation ones use the FKS, previous RX models used the 3.5 2GR FE.
Correct. The RX last used the 2GR-FE in 2015, in the 3RX.
Old 02-21-17, 07:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Holy thread derail Batman.

These past couple of pages quickly show there's not much of acura to talk about that we have to discuss buick/caddy/lincoln

Acura (and honda) has never had a V8 in any of their current vehicles, while lexus still do.

Until lexus (and toyota) get rid of all their v8 and gone fwd, then you can say it's contracting acura-itis.
Even so, the OP's comparison to the Acura V6's and a TTV6 with 415 HP taking the place of a V8 is severely misguided.
Old 02-21-17, 11:24 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people saying what makes Lexus different and special is rwd platform and V8. Ironically Lexus best sellers are FWD based, rwd GS will likely not see new generatiom and flagship sedan LS will not have V8. What makes Leuxs special again? Lexus will always do well selling their bread and butter FWD ES and RX, but rwd platforms can't compete with German counterparts.
Old 02-21-17, 11:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
A lot of people saying what makes Lexus different and special is rwd platform and V8. Ironically Lexus best sellers are FWD based, rwd GS will likely not see new generatiom and flagship sedan LS will not have V8. What makes Leuxs special again? Lexus will always do well selling their bread and butter FWD ES and RX, but rwd platforms can't compete with German counterparts.
You sound like you are trolling.

Lexus does fine in a lot of segments. Their new LC is gonna be spectacular. I am checking one out tomorrow. The hyybrid one. FWD models are a fact of life and people in North America like em. As for the LS, the TT V6 was the right choice.
Old 02-21-17, 11:45 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You sound like you are trolling.

Lexus does fine in a lot of segments. Their new LC is gonna be spectacular. I am checking one out tomorrow. The hyybrid one. FWD models are a fact of life and people in North America like em. As for the LS, the TT V6 was the right choice.
I am not trolling. I merely pointing out what people are saying that makes Lexus special, but in reality Lexus is going a different direction. Yeah Lexus is building the LC500 which checks all the boxes but their mainstream cars that most people can afford are not as competitive as they used to be.As for the new LS it will probably sell well for a couple years but German counterparts will update the S class and 7 series frequently while LS gets stuck in a 10 year cycle like current model.

Last edited by GTSLEX; 02-21-17 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 01:12 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I am not trolling. I merely pointing out what people are saying that makes Lexus special, but in reality Lexus is going a different direction. Yeah Lexus is building the LC500 which checks all the boxes but their mainstream cars that most people can afford are not as competitive as they used to be.As for the new LS it will probably sell well for a couple years but German counterparts will update the S class and 7 series frequently while LS gets stuck in a 10 year cycle like current model.

??

So by your logic, the LC is a good car but due to Lexus' other models, it can be disregarded and the LS not being released exactly the same time as the S class means that it is also disregarded and all of that = Acura?

And what was your other post saying Lexus doesn't have mass market appeal when BMW couldn't touch them in 2016 total sales with all of those record breaking incentives they had?

Last edited by G Star; 02-22-17 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 05:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Just because something sells well to the masses doesn't mean it's a great product or that it's special. In fact, if you look at the best sellers in many categories you find mediocrity sells. The Camry for instance is the least interesting car in its segment, same for the Corolla.

Most buyers are not enthusiasts, and a car that "checks all the boxes" and provides the Boeing transport they want while being "reliable" wins.
Old 02-22-17, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because something sells well to the masses doesn't mean it's a great product or that it's special. In fact, if you look at the best sellers in many categories you find mediocrity sells. The Camry for instance is the least interesting car in its segment, same for the Corolla.

Most buyers are not enthusiasts, and a car that "checks all the boxes" and provides the Boeing transport they want while being "reliable" wins.

There is also such a thing, as I have pointed out before, as being a car enthusiast without being a speed, racing, butt-bumping-suspension, or canyon-carving enthusiast. The two are NOT mutual by any means. In fact, several people right here on Car Chat fit that description.
Old 02-22-17, 07:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The problem with Acura is that, everything in their product portfolio is either an Accord or Civic based. While that's fine and all at entry level to even mid level, when you try to sell an Accord as the RL or RLX or whatever its called for 60-75k, you've got issues. It's one thing to sell a $85k Land Cruiser as a $95k LX570, but completely different trying to sell a $35k loaded Accord as a luxury flagship.
Old 02-22-17, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The problem with Acura is that, everything in their product portfolio is either an Accord or Civic based.
They don't have the development money that Lexus does to offer as many vehicles or different platforms.
Old 02-22-17, 07:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They don't have the development money that Lexus does to offer as many vehicles or different platforms.
Neither does Lexus, but they both have corporate parents with deep pockets. The NSX couldnt have been cheap to develop. Lexus pulled back on racing to focus on their product portfolio, resulting in the GA-L, LC and LS and whatever is coming down the pipe. Honda/Acura would be wise to do the same if they are resource constraint.
Old 02-22-17, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't say you "are" trolling I said you "sound" like you are trolling. If you are not trolling, then what positives do see in the new Lexus LS500 or perhaps LC500?
Old 02-22-17, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is also such a thing, as I have pointed out before, as being a car enthusiast without being a speed, racing, butt-bumping-suspension, or canyon-carving enthusiast. The two are NOT mutual by any means. In fact, several people right here on Car Chat fit that description.
Of course there is, I am one of those enthusiasts you describe. However, I appreciate a bespoke premium platform and a proper RWD setup for my cars. I had two ES's and they were great for what they were, but having had better cars now I'm not interested in going back.

I will never purchase another Lexus on a Toyota derived transverse FWD platform.
Old 02-22-17, 03:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Of course there is, I am one of those enthusiasts you describe. However, I appreciate a bespoke premium platform and a proper RWD setup for my cars. I had two ES's and they were great for what they were, but having had better cars now I'm not interested in going back.

I will never purchase another Lexus on a Toyota derived transverse FWD platform.
You hit the nail Steve.
We all call it FWD vs RWD, and transverse vs longitudinal, but in reality, it is about an entry level versus a premium platform.

The premium platform actually has a longer wheelbase, and a shorter front overhang, with the engine mounted behind the front axle for a near 50/50 weight distribution to maximise front end grip.
However, this longer wheelbase naturally causes more flexing of the platform, hence the premium platform must use either stiffer materials like more high tensile steel, thicker gauge metal, or taller/deeper nee stronger box sections to compensate.

4WD/AWD with engine in front of front axle versus longer wheelbase with engine behind the rear axle for near 50/50 weight distribution:

AWD is a great idea today, because cars have so much power and torque, they need to transmit to all four wheels to maximise traction.
However, it will be interesting to see what the next generation ES/GS AWD brings, and whether it uses a Camry-based entry level or a Lexus-based premium platform, because the Acura RLX AWD uses a short wheelbase with the engine mounted in front of the front axle on a shorter wheelbase, and this model has largely bombed out over the past 10+ years.

Furthermore, the premium platform uses higher lightweight aluminium content like aluminium bonnets, trunk lids and even doors, and aluminium suspension arms etc etc.

Rather than using cheap simple single lower suspension control arms like MacPherson struts at the front, and a trailing arm and transverse arms at the rear, premium platforms use double wishbone front, and multi-link rear suspension, which have more expensive unequal length lower and upper control arms to keep the tires more perpendicular to the road surface to maximise grip.

Entry level cheap single lower front and rear control arms:

Premium expensive unequal length lower and upper control arms in front and rear suspension respectively:

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-22-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

100% agree Pete

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?