Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4ES used the 3.0L from 2001-2003, when the new 3.3L was introduced for the 2004 model year.
I'm well aware of all of that, but there was a change made to the 3.0 V6 before 2002. I've watched this with interest, I don't think I've ever seen a 2002-2003 with sludge. They're 14-15 years old now, so if it were an issue you'd see it. The 02-03 was also never included in the extended warranty Lexus put it for the 3ES, which also tells you something was changed.

The wood and leather, though, throughout the cabin of the 4ES, was just superb, as good or better, IMO, than what Jaguar was offering at twice the price....and that was in the days before Jag started converting to the high-tech look.
I agree. That's only part of the experience of having and driving a car though. Overall, despite the interior not being as nice I still preferred my 2010 ES.

The ES would be a great choice for you.
Old 02-21-17, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Caddy used to be the king in that department but Lexus really stole that market away.
Its too bad Cadillac does not offer a $35k-$50K ES type car. This would be the perfect segment for Cadillac. Heck, they should just merge Buick and Cadillac into one Cadillac brand.
Old 02-21-17, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because they have Buick GM doesn't need Cadillac to serve that segment.
Old 02-21-17, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yep.....the LaCrosse is generally considered the American Lexus ES, though it is also getting some competition from the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 02-21-17, 07:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Buick just doesn't have the same brand appeal as Caddy though. I always thought the CTS was supposed to fill that market but it went a little more upscale and expensive when they brought the ATS. I guess they gotta go compete with those Germans in every facet.
Old 02-21-17, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't driven the latest Lacrosse, but I have sat in it, and have driven the MKZ. I wouldn't personally consider the Lacrosse, but I would consider the MKZ. It's not as soft riding as the ES, or as refined though.

I would also seriously consider a Genesis G80. Any reason you're not considering that? I know you really liked it.
Old 02-21-17, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

tjarado - welcome to ClubLexus!

Originally Posted by tjarado
I bought my Lexus after driving several models over the years, owned by others, but driven much by me, and guess what?
I love the naturally aspirated, non-interference 350 engine.
I adore the smooth good looks of my 2016 UW RC F-sport.
I love it's quiet luxury, fit and finish, reliability, and, yes its performance.
Plus it handles quite nicely on SoFla dry roads. (Wet stuff TBD.)
I am no 'racer' but I drove and rally-raced mucho sports cars many years ago, and still I crack 100 on occasion.
And tru, twice I actually tried to open a BMW thinking it was my 1998 Toyo Camry 6cyl zip-about!
Soooo, boys... I LOVE the spindle grille, cause you KNOW it's a Lexus.
good to read your story, enthusiasm, and the RC is indeed an awesome smooth and good looking car! what did you mean by 'open a BMW' - you mean you tried to modify one?
Old 02-21-17, 09:02 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm well aware of all of that, but there was a change made to the 3.0 V6 before 2002. I've watched this with interest, I don't think I've ever seen a 2002-2003 with sludge. They're 14-15 years old now, so if it were an issue you'd see it. The 02-03 was also never included in the extended warranty Lexus put it for the 3ES, which also tells you something was changed.

I agree. That's only part of the experience of having and driving a car though. Overall, despite the interior not being as nice I still preferred my 2010 ES.

The ES would be a great choice for you.
That is correct, they enlarged the oil return holes in the head and updated the PCV design. Sludge was not as big an issue on the updated 1MZ-FE. My 4ES is running strong at nearly 260,000 miles!
Old 02-21-17, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't driven the latest Lacrosse, but I have sat in it, and have driven the MKZ. I wouldn't personally consider the Lacrosse, but I would consider the MKZ. It's not as soft riding as the ES, or as refined though.
The new 2017 MKZ facelift, among other things, brought what seemed like a sightly softer suspension and good noise control/refinement. See my just-posted MKZ test-drive.

The LaCrosse is fine except the E-shifter....those are just not my cup of tea.

I would also seriously consider a Genesis G80. Any reason you're not considering that? I know you really liked it.
Haven't ruled it out. But it's a pretty big car, even if not as big as the G90,and the size of my parking space is limited. And, like the excellent service my brother has gotten from his Kia shop, I also have gotten excellent service from my GM shop....they go overboard to please.
Old 02-21-17, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The refresh MKZ is still not as smooth and refined as the ES. Alex on Autos posted a review this week, you should watch that he discusses that.

As for the G80, I don't think it's much bigger, if it's any bigger than the ES...
Old 02-21-17, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The refresh MKZ is still not as smooth and refined as the ES. Alex on Autos posted a review this week, you should watch that he discusses that.
Yes, I know Alex does good reviews.....I think highly of him, and have actually posted some of them myself. I think I have already seen the one you are talking about on the MKZ. I checked out his opinion of both that and the new LaCrosse.

The MKZ is pleasant to drive, but I'm not terribly impressed, though, with the way it is built. It seems to lack some of the construction solidness of the LaCrosse, and just has a looser feel to the doors, sheet metal, and interior hardware. The ES is somewhere in the middle on material solidness, but, long-term, is probably the most reliable of the three.
Old 02-21-17, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The one he posted of the MKZ is brand new like 4 days ago.
Old 02-21-17, 02:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Buick just doesn't have the same brand appeal as Caddy though. I always thought the CTS was supposed to fill that market but it went a little more upscale and expensive when they brought the ATS. I guess they gotta go compete with those Germans in every facet.
Given the sales numbers of ATS's and CTS's, I don't think Cadillac has "Cadillac" brand appeal. Caddy moved away from the Buick target customer years ago, so I don't see them going after an ES customer. But it would seem that's what has hurt them, because they can't really pick up the sales they want from their target customer.
Old 02-21-17, 03:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Holy thread derail Batman.

These past couple of pages quickly show there's not much of acura to talk about that we have to discuss buick/caddy/lincoln

Acura (and honda) has never had a V8 in any of their current vehicles, while lexus still do.

Until lexus (and toyota) get rid of all their v8 and gone fwd, then you can say it's contracting acura-itis.
Old 02-21-17, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Holy thread derail Batman.

These past couple of pages quickly show there's not much of acura to talk about that we have to discuss buick/caddy/lincoln
Welcome to Car Chat LOL.

Until lexus (and toyota) get rid of all their v8 and gone fwd, then you can say it's contracting acura-itis.
Lexus seems to be taking a significant step in that direction with the new LS.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?