Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 06:49 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Remember that I too am a long time Lexus owner that remembers "the good old days".

The only place that I see where they've really fallen behind is in powerplants, but with this new TTV6 that brings hope that will change.

IMHO they're making cars as well made and a lot more interesting than they ever did before.
Powerplant wise, Lexus was making incremental improvements on their 3.5 and 5l engines, but those didn't get much attention as they got reflected in the suffix of the main block. They really should have given them new names as they added features or unique capabilities over time.

Acura is dying because they have no models they can differentiate against a fully loaded Honda equivalent. Lexus has some that are unique and the ones that aren't have unique features not available on the Toyota equivalent.

Last edited by My0gr81; 02-17-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 06:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Powerplant wise, Lexus was making incremental improvements on their 3.5 and 5l engines, but those didn't get much attention as they got reflected in the suffix of the main block. They really should have given them new names as they added features or unique capabilities over time.
The fact some Lexus engines run on both Otto and Atkinson cycles is pretty awesome
Old 02-17-17, 06:53 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Disclaimer: I do not care about car brands whatsoever. I'm only making my points in response.

Lol this is almost entertaining. Why can't we just accept that the automotive industry will continue to advance and with that will come changes to everything we know about cars. I'll give you their new design language is a bit controversial and yes, they use some older engines but here is the thing:

1. The 'outdated' V6 isn't only underrated by Lexus from the factory but is efficient and advanced for its time. I see it disappearing in the future and replaced by a TTV6, but that is not to discredit how good it was for its time.
2. Lexus focuses more on luxury and reliability than ANY German brand. I don't think I need to explain this.
3. Didn't they make a new TTV6 and turbo 4 in most of their newer cars?
4. Yes, the new designs aren't to everyone's liking. But some people like something that looks different from everything else.
5. Yes, the F brand cars are underpowered. But that is not a bad thing. Aerodynamics is where improvements are coming in the future because putting down 600+ HP even on high performance summer tires without losing traction is a challenge. Just because they don't have enough power to keep up with M and AMG doesn't make them lesser road cars. Besides, I think I'd much rather have my traction in a lower powered car and enjoy it more than trying to fight the rear end on a 600+ HP car. Not saying that high horsepower is a bad thing, but the industry is changing. At some point in time we won't be able to add more power due to emissions regulations and such. (side note: If Lexus really wanted to compete with M and AMG do you really think they wouldn't have already...?)

And aside from that, just because they don't have V8s in their high end cars does not mean they are going to lose customers. The majority of people who buy luxury cars don't care too much about going 85 MPH into a corner and being able to go really fast and enjoy the driving experience. If anything, they want new electronics, technology, and a quieter, smoother ride, the exact opposite of what a V8 engine and a stiff suspension provide. A more silent TTV6 suits that better. Technology improves and with it, older technology must go. As a car enthusiast I understand the fun and excitement of owning a V8 with a 6 speed manual but if you think a TTV6 will just drain all the fun out of a car just because it doesn't suit your image of a 'sporty' or 'luxury' car (even if it does make more power) then I don't know what to say to you.

That being said I do not see at all how Lexus is, in any way, going down Acura's path. Acura's glory days went from the 90s to about 2008 after the Type-S was discontinued, and then they had controversial designs and underpowered engines relative to its competition. The TLX V6? Its (essentially) the same V6 used in the 2007 Type-S and not only that but they put the same engine in the 2017 Pilot and 2018 Odyssey. I don't see Toyota putting a Sienna engine in any car aside from the ES and RX (2GR FE V6. And I have no doubt that will change). And yes, while Lexus still does use the 2GR FSE from 2006, they have made new engines to replace it. Not to mention, the majority of Lexus models are RWD, one of the essential things in defining a luxury/sports car. The market is moving more towards SUVs and Lexus is adapting to that change. Acura only has 2 SUVs, and yes, while they are arguably the best in their respective segments, they aren't producing enough cars to compete with the industry AND we haven't heard a single report about a new future powertrain aside from the NSX and the new MDX SH-AWD system, but that is it. The only thing they really changed was their transmissions, from 6 speeds to 8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions. Their cars are still FWD and lag behind their opponents in a straight line and in corners while Lexus has made new engines, new transmissions, new redesigned interiors, new cars, new designs, etc. For God's sake the new LC is supposed to compete with the 911, arguably the greatest sports car of all time.

So tell me again, how is Lexus becoming Acura?

Last edited by Rezno; 02-18-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno

And aside from that, just because they don't have V8s in their high end cars does not mean they are going to lose customers. The majority of people who buy luxury cars don't care too much about going 85 MPH into a corner and being able to go really fast and enjoy the driving experience. If anything, they want new electronics, technology, and a quieter, smoother ride, the exact opposite of what a V8 engine and a stiff suspension provide. A more silent TTV6 suits that better. Technology improves and with it, older technology must go. As a car enthusiast I understand the fun and excitement of owning a V8 with a 6 speed manual but if you think a TTV6 will just drain all the fun out of a car just because it doesn't suit your image of a 'sporty' or 'luxury' car (even if it does make more power) then I don't know what to say to you.
What you're losing sight of here, though, is the issue of refinement with a N/A V8....it's not simply a matter of performance or handling. And V8s don't HAVE to have stiff suspensions.....as today's Hyundai, Kia, Genesis (and, yes, the former Lexus models of the 1990s and early 2000s) proved.
Old 02-17-17, 07:13 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you're losing sight of here, though, is the issue of refinement with a N/A V8....it's not simply a matter of performance or handling. And V8s don't HAVE to have stiff suspensions.....as today's Hyundai, Kia, Genesis (and, yes, the former Lexus models of the 1990s and early 2000s) proved.
True. V8 and a stiff suspension are two different things entirely. A V8 is hands down a more refined, smooth engine. The thing is though the market for Lexus are (mostly) people who just want a smooth, quiet, reliable ride and they probably won't care too much about what engine is. And while it is unlikely I would not be surprised if they are able to tune a TTV6 to respond similarly to an NA V8. Even now the German luxury makers are focusing more on technology/interior features and not engine capability in their newer cars (example: the 2017 7 series)
Old 02-17-17, 07:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, Lexus has a new President in grandson Akio Toyoda.
In your opinion? This is no opinion. It is FACT. Akio Toyoda has been president of Toyota Motor Company since June 2009 so he is no longer the "new" president either.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
TMC burnt a lot of money on hybrids, and hydrogen fuel cells, when the market actually moved towards small capacity turbos, and longer EV range plug-in hybrids PHEV's.
Here you go again. You do not like the direction that Toyota has selected regarding hybrids and hydrogen fuel cells, so you go and claim that "TMC burnt a lot of money on hybrids, and hydrogen fuel cells...".

GM is pursuing hybrids (the Volt is a plug-in hybrid), as are most major automakers, including Hyundai and Kia. Honda, Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz are pursuing hydrogen fuel cells. Mercedes-Benz has been researching hydrogen fuel cells for quite a few years but nobody says it is "burning a lot of money on hydrogen fuel cells".
Old 02-17-17, 07:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The fact some Lexus engines run on both Otto and Atkinson cycles is pretty awesome
We keep forgetting this. Toyota is the first to market and is still the only automaker with this 2-in-1 on-demand Atkinson cycle engine (Atkinson cycle at low load for fuel efficiency and automatically switching to Otto cycle at high load for power). The 2UR-GSE 5-litre V8 in the RC-F, GS-F and LC 500; the 8AR-FTS turbocharged 2-litre I4 in the NX 200t, IS 200t and GS 200t; and the 2GR-FKS 3.5-litre V6 used in the Tacoma and RX 350 are new engines that offer this new valvetrain.

I wonder if the new Dynamic Force 2.5-litre I4 engine in the new Camry will offer this technology also?
Old 02-17-17, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Stop confusing everybody with all these facts lol
Old 02-17-17, 08:04 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Stop confusing everybody with all these facts lol
Sorry, I forgot that we like to disguise opinion as fact on Club Lexus.
Old 02-17-17, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Sorry, I forgot that we like to disguise opinion as fact on Club Lexus.
Does seem that way a lot of times doesn't it?

What I don't really get is what people think was so innovative and cutting edge about older Lexus cars back in the day...those that think they seem to lack something now.
Old 02-17-17, 08:49 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't buy car(s) for looks. Naturally people tend to dislike changes, drastic changes. I was long time MDX driver.

Last edited by Htony; 02-17-17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt many people spend this kind of money on a car they think is ugly...
Old 02-17-17, 09:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lexus actually has exciting and innovative cars, unlike Acura
Old 02-18-17, 04:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
2. Lexus focuses more on luxury and reliability than ANY German brand. I don't think I need to explain this.
That is very true, Germans make "lease and get rid of" vehicles.
Old 02-18-17, 05:30 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

To OP, SERIOUSLY? So you represent all americans in America now? Just because you don't like the spindle grill does not mean others wont like it too. In reality Lexus is selling them like hotcakes where I live. I see 2013+ Lexus's everywhere. Heck the new RX sold so well my dealer could not keep any in stock! You must be living in an alternate reality and have somehow managed to communicate with us through your 5th dimension with some advanced tech incomprehensible to our human minds!

Granted everyones opinion is valid. You may not like the Predator grill but I LOVE the Spindle grill. The opposite is true that just because I LOVE lexus current designs does not mean others will and I cannot say that all Americans love this design. Your pathetic for even forcing your opinion down our throats and appear as if your the Ambassador of the great USA and all you saw is representative of everybody. Which I find is very distasteful.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?