Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas HB 276

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 12:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That doesn't change anything that I said, though. If there are no (applicable) inspection or emission laws (or front-license-plate requirements) in a state or county, then the owners of cars registered in those jurisdictions are not bound to follow them. You obviously can't follow what doesn't exist.
You're still violating federal pollution laws by driving around in a car not running right or not running cat converters. Also just because there aren't state inspections doesn't mean you can't be cited for driving on bald tires, having a broken taillight, non-working brakes, etc, etc, etc A lot of preventable accidents are caused by cheap(or broke) people driving on bald tires.

Cops(especially the highway patrol) love to write tickets to commercial vehicles/trucks that are overloaded, don't have the right paperwork, faulty brakes, bald tires, other safety violations, etc, etc, etc. And rightfully so, it prevents accidents. Same could be said if cops wrote tickets to non-commercial vehicles for the same type of things, ie faulty brakes, rusty chassis, bald tires, etc.

I guess my point is people won't obey laws(or properly maintain their vehicles) unless they are actually enforced.
Old 02-21-17, 10:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've never had a front plate in TX in my 10 years of living here. It is my understanding that you must be violating some other traffic law to get cited for not having a front plate. I got cited once for not having a front plate, and that was because I was speeding. As long as you are not breaking any other traffic laws, an officer will not stop you for having no front license plate. Besides, I would rather pay the fine than have one.
Wrong!!!

I had some idiot motorcycle cop turn around and chase...Yes chase me...He went thru a red light to do so .......ONLY for no front plate...(Montgomery county)

He must've been bored...It was 96°F and he wanted to chit chat for 30 mins (no ticket, just a PIA).