Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas HB 276

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 12:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is it a waste of all those things? Convicts in prison actually make the plates....and they sure aren't getting, wage-wise, what factory workers get. If nothing else, it gives them experience actually doing something constructive with their time, helping them learn discipline on a steady (even if somewhat menial) job, and preparing them for an eventual return to society.
front license plates cannot be justified just by a prisoner work program. they could make plenty of other more useful things. in my county they have prisoner farms and they grow and raise just about everything eaten in the jail. now that's a good idea.

front license plates cannot be justified at all because police cars almost always identify cars using the rear license plate.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-19-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
front license plates cannot be justified just by a prisoner work program.
Well, then, who else would you want to make them? I personally don't see where there is anything wrong with it. Prisoners need to be given something to do (besides the regular menial prison jobs like laundry, sweeping floors, etc...) to prepare them for an eventual return to society.

: they could make plenty of other more useful things. in my county they have prisoner farms and they grow and raise just about everything eaten in the jail. now that's a good idea.
I've got no problem with that......but that doesn't mean that their making license plates is a bad idea.

front license plates cannot be justified at all because police cars almost always identify cars using the rear license plate.
While I can't speak for all of them, the majority of police departments seem to disagree.

http://www.insurance.com/auto-insura...se-plates.html
Old 02-19-17, 07:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never had a front plate in TX in my 10 years of living here. It is my understanding that you must be violating some other traffic law to get cited for not having a front plate. I got cited once for not having a front plate, and that was because I was speeding. As long as you are not breaking any other traffic laws, an officer will not stop you for having no front license plate. Besides, I would rather pay the fine than have one.
Old 02-19-17, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've never had a front plate in TX in my 10 years of living here. It is my understanding that you must be violating some other traffic law to get cited for not having a front plate. I got cited once for not having a front plate, and that was because I was speeding. As long as you are not breaking any other traffic laws, an officer will not stop you for having no front license plate. Besides, I would rather pay the fine than have one.
In legalspeak, that is the difference between a primary offense and a secondary one. A secondary offense means that a cop cannot write you up for something unless it is in conjunction with another, more serious issue. It used to be like that, in a number of states, with a texting device or hand-held cell-phone, though some of those states have now made it a primary offense.
Old 02-19-17, 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Well, then, who else would you want to make them? I personally don't see where there is anything wrong with it. Prisoners need to be given something to do (besides the regular menial prison jobs like laundry, sweeping floors, etc...) to prepare them for an eventual return to society.
missing the point entirely, i don't think anyone should make front license plates because i don't think the world needs front license plates, and there's endless work prisoners could be given, so requiring front license plates is not justified just because it gives prisoners something to do.

While I can't speak for all of them, the majority of police departments seem to disagree.
http://www.insurance.com/auto-insura...se-plates.html
that article doesn't say a majority of police, but if you mean the states other than the 19 that don't require front plates, then the article does say it's mostly a REVENUE issue (for automated tolls and ticketing) rather than a serious law enforcement issue. the article does say front plates help with automated systems in finding stolen cars, so ALL cars should have front license plates just to bolster the state coffers or because it helps find stolen cars? seriously weak argument.

nothing you can post or write will convince me that the eyesore of front plates if worth the hideous blemish and cost.
Old 02-19-17, 10:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The purpose of front license plates has everything to do with safety. They were required to help authorities easier identify stolen cars or cars being sought for infractions. When you only have one plate on a car, you have half the chance of seeing the plate. When you have two plates on a car, you have double the chance of seeing the plate. Not every police officer is behind a car when trying to gain info. Not every camera is aimed at the rear of a car.

Now, all the same applies to you and I in every day living, but on a smaller scale. Say someone just dinged your door in a parking lot. You are a ways away, and aren't always going to be behind that car to catch the plate. A front plate comes in handy for all those situations, and in other similar "quick get-away" situations. It is for safety and for easier identifying. I rather have all these things working for me, since I am one of the good guys who don't steal cars or ding others. I don't want to give any possible leeway to a bad guy who does the infractions. Same goes for the police, who are trying their best to see a plate and identify a suspect as quick as possible. If that was your car stolen, you'd want everything in the police's power to be able to easily spot it out on the road.

One last reason for a front plate. They also act as a buffer between you and another car trying to park in front of you. A slight tap against a plate and frame will not do any damage to your bumper. A slight tap against your bare bumper will leave a mark, scratch, or worse. That alone has saved me many times over the decades, with disrespectful people using the "tap" feature to park.

Yes, it looks better with a smooth, clean front. But for something that has to do with safety, it matters.
Old 02-19-17, 11:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The purpose of front license plates has everything to do with safety. They were required to help authorities easier identify stolen cars or cars being sought for infractions. When you only have one plate on a car, you have half the chance of seeing the plate. When you have two plates on a car, you have double the chance of seeing the plate. Not every police officer is behind a car when trying to gain info. Not every camera is aimed at the rear of a car.

Now, all the same applies to you and I in every day living, but on a smaller scale. Say someone just dinged your door in a parking lot. You are a ways away, and aren't always going to be behind that car to catch the plate. A front plate comes in handy for all those situations, and in other similar "quick get-away" situations. It is for safety and for easier identifying. I rather have all these things working for me, since I am one of the good guys who don't steal cars or ding others. I don't want to give any possible leeway to a bad guy who does the infractions. Same goes for the police, who are trying their best to see a plate and identify a suspect as quick as possible. If that was your car stolen, you'd want everything in the police's power to be able to easily spot it out on the road.

One last reason for a front plate. They also act as a buffer between you and another car trying to park in front of you. A slight tap against a plate and frame will not do any damage to your bumper. A slight tap against your bare bumper will leave a mark, scratch, or worse. That alone has saved me many times over the decades, with disrespectful people using the "tap" feature to park.

Yes, it looks better with a smooth, clean front. But for something that has to do with safety, it matters.
Thanks, Fizzboy. An excellent post. You are spot-on.
Old 02-20-17, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But for something that has to do with safety, it matters.
why do 19 states not agree that it matters?
Old 02-20-17, 10:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why do 19 states not agree that it matters?
because for nineteen states saving money was more important to them. I remember when Michigan went to the single plate system. It was all about how many millions the state was going to save. While the fraternal order of police lobbied hard not to.

Last edited by Coleroad; 02-20-17 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 01:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I also think some car designers should be taken out back and shot for how horrible their designs look with a front plate.

Old 02-20-17, 01:41 PM
maxxteezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hope they do repeal it because I went to REAL JAIL in farmers branch, Tx over a front plate! No warrants at all. They were just *** hats cause I wouldn't let them search. I was not even IN MY CAR!!!! I was in the driveway. **** front plates and the cops. I got it all thrown out but 2 days in jail ain't worth a smooth bumper. Had an immaculate 750li and they hated it.
Old 02-20-17, 06:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To the OP, I sent the email.
Old 02-20-17, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I sympathise, at least to an extent, with those who like a clean front-end look to their cars.....I don't particularly care for front-plate mounts myself (and, to top it off, some jerk stole my front tag and its nice clear-plastic cover about a year ago....I had to go to DMV and pay for a new set of plates to replace it and re-register my car for a local military pass because I had new plates.... PITA). But, like it or not, front-plate laws exist for a reason...and it's not just to collect revenue. Besides, when one signs for his or her drivers' license, that is considered a privilege, not a right......and, with that privilege, goes the responsibility of obeying all applicable Federal/state/local laws)
Old 02-20-17, 09:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Besides, when one signs for his or her drivers' license, that is considered a privilege, not a right......and, with that privilege, goes the responsibility of obeying all applicable Federal/state/local laws)
^hahahahahaa You think people where there are no state inspections or emissions tests maintain their cars as well as places that do inspections???? I always make the joke that around here in TN only 5 or 6 counties make you do emissions testing, Davidson(which is Nashville), and the surrounding suburban counties. All the broke *** bubbas that drive 40 miles one way to work in Nashville(that don't live in the emissions testing counties) in their beat up trucks took the cat-converters off long ago when they failed. Or put a piece of black tape over that check engine light.
Old 02-20-17, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^hahahahahaa You think people where there are no state inspections or emissions tests maintain their cars as well as places that do inspections????
That doesn't change anything that I said, though. If there are no (applicable) inspection or emission laws (or front-license-plate requirements) in a state or county, then the owners of cars registered in those jurisdictions are not bound to follow them. You obviously can't follow what doesn't exist.

Quick Reply: Texas HB 276