Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sights from the Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 12:52 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sights from the Chicago Auto Show

Sights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2497-1-.jpgSights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2500-1-.jpgSights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2506-1-.jpgSights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2507-1-.jpgSights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2511-1-.jpgSights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2513-2-.jpgSo I had a chance to make a visit to the nations largest Auto Show this past weekend in Chicago, and boy was it alotta' fun!
For my buddies over in the LS corner, I took a few photos and posted them there, and tried no to be redundant in posting the very same photos that have been posted via media release (though that is very hard to do).
I was a bit disappointed that the car was not accessible to the public, but was on a raised rotating podium. The car up-close and personal is absolutely stunning.
And thought I wasn't able to sit in the car, from what I could see, there wasn't a car in its class whose interior was even close regarding aesthetics; attention to detail, trims, fit and finish are second to no other vehicle in this segment.
My surprises of the entire show would have to be the G90 and the Volvo fleet.
The G90, though a good few of you have already seen it in the flesh and some have actually driven one, I have yet to drive one but was able to spend ample time with one this past Saturday.
I was blown away by the quality and attention to detail that this car possesses. It quite apparent they built this vehicle with the intention to make the owner feel as though they are encompassed in complete opulence. Finishes/material choices, soft touch buttons, dials and how they felt when pushed and/or turned, glove compartment open and close with smooth motion, seat motor noise is muted, steering wheel felt incredibly substantial and the weight value of the doors upon opening the door -- just quality everywhere and very well done. The next step is to drive one!
Regarding the Volvo fleet, I sat inside of the (in this order) XC90, S90 and V90 CC.
It wasn't so much that the insides of these vehicle were remarkably plush and laden with a million buttons, however, its clear that they paid special attention to how the seats felt and how the dash embraces the passengers. The seats were remarkably comfortable, steering wheel felt perfect in my hands and the lay out felt perfect.
I simply could get over just how comfortable the vehicles were, including the back seats. The mixture of supple leather and suede is fantastic.
2 negative experiences though regarding the Volvo that could be kind of excused:

1. The lower seat adjustment/thigh support-which enables the forward leg support to move forward and backward on the drivers seat of the S90 didn't work. Mind you, Saturday-the day I went, was the very first day of the Auto Show. The doors opened at 10 and this was around 12:30 or so when I was sitting in the car. I understand its the Auto Show and things happen, however I still found that just a bit unsettling-nothing major though.

2. Oddly enough, a few moments before that happened inside the S90, a Volvo rep asked me if I had any questions, and I told him that the new lines of Volvo were very impressive, however have they addressed some of the reliability issues that have plagued the brand in the past...
He became very stout and stern, turned towards me, raised his voice and told me that Volvo does not and has never had a reputation for not being an unreliable vehicle. I replied that simply isn't true. He said.."It is true, and we'll just have to agree to disagree-end of discussion".
I derived humor from his response, but was still surprised he took it so personally.

Anyway, beautiful cars inside and out!

No photos but the Panamera's are absolutely gorgeous!

Here are some photos I took while there. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Sights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2515-1-.jpg   Sights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2516-2-.jpg   Sights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2519-1-.jpg   Sights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2521-1-.jpg   Sights from the Chicago Auto Show-imag2518-1-.jpg  

Old 02-13-17, 01:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice pictures. I'm going to the show tomorrow.
Old 02-13-17, 01:34 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Nice pictures. I'm going to the show tomorrow.
Awesome!! McCormick Place did an excellent job with how everything is placed and spread out.
Fantastic venue.
Enjoy!
Old 02-13-17, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for posting, CRowe.

Did Buick have the next-generation 2018 Regal there at the Chicago show? I was hoping to see it at the D.C. show, but it wasn't there.
Old 02-13-17, 04:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Did Buick have the next-generation 2018 Regal there at the Chicago show? I was hoping to see it at the D.C. show, but it wasn't there.
Nothing on a 2018 Regal under Vehicles On Display or Debut Vehicles listings for the show. Just the 2017 model on display.
Old 02-13-17, 06:44 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice photos. I may attend the Chicago show, and probably will be going to the Milwaukee show at the end of the month. Unfortunately, many of the cars at the Chicago show won't be sent to Milwaukee...
Old 02-14-17, 12:21 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Not a problem mmarshall, glad to share. By the way, I thoroughly enjoy the feedback that you provide and the input you have on the myriad of vehicles discussed in this area of the forum. Its been insightful and helpful.
As stated the 2017 was there and the exterior was really nice. It was when I opened the door and glanced at the quality of materials-especially the leather, that was the let down. It was a camel-shade, felt very low quality, but everything else, ergonomically seemed okay. But Ill be honest in saying that I didn't spend too much time with it, as it didn't really draw me in.

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Nice photos. I may attend the Chicago show, and probably will be going to the Milwaukee show at the end of the month. Unfortunately, many of the cars at the Chicago show won't be sent to Milwaukee...
Thanks!
I hope you are able to make it there. Its a fantastic venue and there are cars for days!
Old 02-14-17, 06:58 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been looking all over Google and here with no luck. Are there any ClubLexus members that took photos of the vehicles on display at the Lexus booth at this year's Chicago auto-show? Specifically, I would love to see the LX(s) and GS(s) on display. Thanks in advance.