Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No love for Infiniti Q60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 10:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's because the Q50 is a tweener car. It's big...more midsize than compact car. It's also cross shopped with the ES due to its size. The IS350 is probably the second smallest in its class...the ATS is smaller. I'm really happy with the size though. I think BMW went too big with the current 3 series
I thought the 3 Series and IS were very similar in exterior and interior size. No?
Old 02-12-17, 10:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Q50 are much cheaper to lease than IS.
Old 02-12-17, 10:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I thought the 3 Series and IS were very similar in exterior and interior size. No?
Current 3 series is huge and bloated, its the size of old 5 series.
Old 02-12-17, 10:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They are about the same size but the BMW drives bigger. Sad. The Q50 is far larger than both.
Old 02-12-17, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I actually find the Q50 a very attractive car.
Old 02-12-17, 11:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's because the Q50 is a tweener car. It's big...more midsize than compact car. It's also cross shopped with the ES due to its size. The IS350 is probably the second smallest in its class...the ATS is smaller. I'm really happy with the size though. I think BMW went too big with the current 3 series
This forum is strange. The 3-series and IS are practically the same size (the 3-series is actually shorter!). Further, the ATS is essentially the same size as well. It just doesn't have as good of interior space utilization. It really isn't that hard to actually go look at the figures before spewing stuff like this.

Length and width (w/o mirrors) for the cars you mentioned [as provided by Car and Driver]:

Lexus IS
Length: 183.7 in.
Width: 71.3 in.

BMW 3-series
Length: 182.8 in.

Infiniti Q50
Length: 189.1 in.
Width: 71.8 in.

Cadillac ATS
Width: 71.1 in

And if the BMW was any smaller people would've been complaining about its interior size.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Oh you're completely right.

Originally Posted by Och
Uh...so the 3-series is huge and bloated but the IS isn't, even though they're the same size? And let's be real, the F30 is the same size as the E39 5-series from 2 generations (actually now 3). The gain in size is appropriate given the evolution of this class of cars.
Old 02-12-17, 11:55 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I actually find the Q50 a very attractive car.
very attractive. infiniti makes nice cars, nice engines (symmetrical dual throttle body/intakes), nice interior.
Old 02-12-17, 11:57 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

TangoRed, I've noticed some people here just post information mostly negative on something they don't like whether it's another car or engine or whatever just to justify their own view of it.
Old 02-12-17, 12:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This forum is strange. The 3-series and IS are practically the same size (the 3-series is actually shorter!). Further, the ATS is essentially the same size as well. It just doesn't have as good of interior space utilization. It really isn't that hard to actually go look at the figures before spewing stuff like this.

Length and width (w/o mirrors) for the cars you mentioned [as provided by Car and Driver]:

Lexus IS
Length: 183.7 in.

BMW 3-series

Infiniti Q50
Length: 189.1 in.
Width: 71.8 in.

Cadillac ATS
Width: 71.1 in

And if the BMW was any smaller people would've been complaining about its interior size.Oh you're completely right.Uh...so the 3-series is huge and bloated but the IS isn't, even though they're the same size? And let's be real, the F30 is the same size as the E39 5-series from 2 generations (actually now 3). The gain in size is appropriate given the evolution of this class of cars.
I did say they are about the same size but the BMW drives bigger. I also said the ATS was probably the smallest which it probably is. My opinion is that BMW made the 3 a little too big. I appreciated the prior class size more and especially how much better it drove. I guess I can't spew my opinion anymore around here
Old 02-12-17, 12:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Uh...so the 3-series is huge and bloated but the IS isn't, even though they're the same size? And let's be real, the F30 is the same size as the E39 5-series from 2 generations (actually now 3). The gain in size is appropriate given the evolution of this class of cars.
Surprised to see that IS and 3 series are the same size... the 3 series sure feels bloated compared to the previous generation 3 series, and the IS somehow feels more compact.
Old 02-12-17, 12:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I can't believe I keep having to post this, so I guess I have to up the game and start suspending access.

Knock off posting personal commentary, either directed at specific members, generically at 'some people' or via sweeping generalizations. Fine to disagree with the details posted you don't concur with, but not the people posting them. Those that posted those type of 'forum is strange' or 'some people here' comments, step back and read this thread top to bottom and I hope you will recognize it's overwhelming positive towards the Infiniti.

If you cannot stop the personal comments, do not post here. I will remind you THIS IS A LEXUS OWNERS AND LEXUS ENTHUSIAST FORUM. We didn't bury the lead... it's right there in the header and the URL. If you don't expect some bias towards Lexus and can't live with it, you're in the wrong place. We absolutely welcome alternative perspectives and fans of other brands especially in car chat... but if you are here simply to regularly put down our membership or the primary subject of our community then I will question your membership.

If you have any questions about my message here, send me a PM rather than take this thread off track. I apologize for a bit of a rant, but this same request seems like a daily occurrence.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-12-17 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 12:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I did say they are about the same size but the BMW drives bigger. I also said the ATS was probably the smallest which it probably is. My opinion is that BMW made the 3 a little too big. I appreciated the prior class size more and especially how much better it drove. I guess I can't spew my opinion anymore around here
The average current 3 series is a 328 xdrive, and it drives and sounds pretty much like a camry.
Old 02-12-17, 12:14 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Surprised to see that IS and 3 series are the same size... the 3 series sure feels bloated compared to the previous generation 3 series, and the IS somehow feels more compact.
I'm also surprised. The IS looks smaller than the F3X whenever I park near one. Subjectively, the E9X drove better than the F3X which I would attribute towards BMW's attempt to cater towards the smooth ride luxury car-buyers want.

Like EZZ, I wish cars grew smaller and lighter rather than larger and heavier. If the ND Miata can do it, why shouldn't other cars be able to?
Old 02-12-17, 12:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
I'm also surprised. The IS looks smaller than the F3X whenever I park near one. Subjectively, the E9X drove better than the F3X which I would attribute towards BMW's attempt to cater towards the smooth ride luxury car-buyers want.

Like EZZ, I wish cars grew smaller and lighter rather than larger and heavier. If the ND Miata can do it, why shouldn't other cars be able to?
There's not that much market for compact, light sedans. Coupes are another story.
Old 02-12-17, 01:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The average current 3 series is a 328 xdrive, and it drives and sounds pretty much like a camry.
Same thing around here. Most of them on the lots are x drives. Surprisingly In C&D's tests the 328i x drive was notably quicker than the IS 2.0t. 5.3 sec. vs. 6.5 sec. 0-60, and 14.0 @97 vs. 15.0 @94 in the 1/4 mile. They mention that the IS is about 100 lbs. heavier than the 328..

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-12-17 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: No love for Infiniti Q60?