Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 05:19 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What does this say about the security (or rather, the lack of security) of these keyless systems when any locksmith with some off-the-shelf keyfob can be programmed to work with your luxury car?
Like any of the key technologies (even the simple key from back in the day), you need at least one working one to make copies/program duplicates. A locksmith can't walk up to a locked car with no keys and make his own. With the old style key, you need an old one to copy. And with the new systems, the immobilizer won't let you program a key without an existing key present. They do it this way for that very reason. That's why when you lose all your keys, the entire car needs to be rekeyed = ouch.

Locksmiths are also supposed to be ALOA certified/vetted before that can do any of that stuff. But yea, you know how that goes.
Old 02-14-17, 05:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That's actually not true. Every key I've ever had for a car has had a key code which allows the key to be cut without the presence of another key.

Back in the day I ordered a Lexus master key from Sewell and it came to me already cut using the VIN.

And again just to be clear, at least Lexus' key systems even with the physical key if you lost all the keys the system would not let you program new keys. Same ouch.
Old 02-14-17, 05:51 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Regarding non-transponder keys, the Key Code tag counts the same as having the key. Only the owner would have this and would need to present the number. So it's just as secure.

Lexus will cut you keys from VIN but you must provide ownership proof, usually via a copy of your license and registration. So the security is there, too. VIN's are on the outside of the car, anyone has access to that. So you must prove you are the owner. Then after that it needs to be registered in the immobilizer which requires a working key.

The point was that a locksmith can't walk up to any locked car and whip himself up a set of keys. This still stands.

And correct, if you lose all transponder keys, you are boned. You can cut all the new keys you want but you can't register them in the immobilizer. If you had regular hardware store keys, lost them all but had the key tag, you're good.
Old 02-14-17, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Regarding non-transponder keys, the Key Code tag counts the same as having the key. Only the owner would have this and would need to present the number. So it's just as secure.
But the key can be duplicated without the key code tag, and the manufacturer knows the key code tag without the physical tag given to the owner.

Lexus will cut you keys from VIN but you must provide ownership proof, usually via a copy of your license and registration. So the security is there, too. VIN's are on the outside of the car, anyone has access to that. So you must prove you are the owner. Then after that it needs to be registered in the immobilizer which requires a working key.
You're underestimating thieves. If somebody wants to steal your car, they're going to steal your car. What if somebody has an inside at a dealership? A registration document is easy to forge.

And this speaks to your next point:

The point was that a locksmith can't walk up to any locked car and whip himself up a set of keys. This still stands.
They can't do that with a smart key car ether. They still need a working master key to program a new key to the car.
Old 02-14-17, 06:49 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Okay, I see what's happening here. We're arguing two different points and yet agreeing on everything.

I replied to Sulu regarding locksmiths just keying their way into your car.

You replied still talking about old keys versus smart keys. I wasn't referring to specific tech in regards to locksmiths as it's basically the same access required no matter the tech. (give or take)

Dealerships are a different story. If you do not have a transponder style key (does that even apply to any Lexus?) then you are more at risk, yes. Agreed there. With a transponder key, you can't start a car without it being registered via an existing master key. So yes, they are more secure. Agreed again.

As for thieves, they take what they want. Agreed a third time. It's easier to just tow the car away if they want it fast. Repo guys do it everyday -- legally.
Old 02-14-17, 12:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Okay, I see what's happening here. We're arguing two different points and yet agreeing on everything.
I don't know why certain members always turn certain threads into a constant argument that never ends. I had to block a number of individuals on this forum. I just can't bother reading some of the comments.

You replied still talking about old keys versus smart keys. I wasn't referring to specific tech in regards to locksmiths as it's basically the same access required no matter the tech. (give or take)
I doubt the locksmith claim is a true story.

Dealerships are a different story. If you do not have a transponder style key (does that even apply to any Lexus?) then you are more at risk, yes. Agreed there. With a transponder key, you can't start a car without it being registered via an existing master key. So yes, they are more secure. Agreed again.
Either way a car with a key with a code or a Lexus style push button style entry is harder to steal than just a traditional key. I don't think anyone can dispute this. I personally do not care how they work.

As for thieves, they take what they want. Agreed a third time. It's easier to just tow the car away if they want it fast. Repo guys do it everyday -- legally.
Very true. However, I would add that most thieves are not going to drive up in a movie theater and tow your car. The whole idea of these systems are theft prevention. I think the current laws regarding the keys came into effect in 2005 or 2006 in Canada. So if some was to look to steal a car in a movie theater parking lot, a 2004 Sequoia with out the theft deterrent keys or a 2005 Sequoia with the theft deterrent key which one would they choose? It easier to steal and hot wire the 2004 model without. Its also going to be more expensive to replace the 2005 keys but your insurance should be a little cheaper compared to the 2004 model which likely makes the cost to replace the keys a moot point.
Old 02-14-17, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I replied to Sulu regarding locksmiths just keying their way into your car.

That's exactly what the confusion was, as you said we do in fact agree!
Old 02-16-17, 05:46 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

This whole thread is about keyfobs or the Sequoia refresh? LoL. You guys are silly. Me? I prefer a keyfob. I have never had any issues with them and will buy my next car with them as standard.

Now thats out of the way, Toyota has let me down on this refresh. The gauges and dash layout still looks fugly to me. The same thing goes for the 2017 Lexus GX 460. The interior dash design is not in line with any other product in Toyota or Lexus lineup excluding the Tundra and 4Runner. The interior looks like a pickup truck dash with big climate control ***** giving it a manly rugged truck like look. I very much prefer the dash layouts of 2016+ Lexus GS, LS, RX and LX. The dash layout in the Camry, Avalon, Sienna and Rav4 looks way better than this. If i want a Truck i will just buy a Tundra. I want my SUVs to be luxurious and not tuff. Most of these SUVs will end up being mall cruisers anyways.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 02-16-17 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 05:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Fair points. I can see what you mean by being let down. Its not much of a refresh.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I want my SUVs to be luxurious and not tuff. Most of these SUVs will end up being mall cruisers anyways.
I do somewhat disagree. With the Toyota line of SUVS, I have always looked for something of balance between luxurious and tough. I would want to know that things can get dirty and be put to work, but still be somewhat premium on the inside. Lexus SUVs I can see just having luxury.
Old 02-16-17, 06:22 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fair points. I can see what you mean by being let down. Its not much of a refresh.

I do somewhat disagree. With the Toyota line of SUVS, I have always looked for something of balance between luxurious and tough. I would want to know that things can get dirty and be put to work, but still be somewhat premium on the inside. Lexus SUVs I can see just having luxury.
Take a look at the previous generation Highlander. It had that rugged big **** look too but they didn't sell very well compared to the new 2017 models. With the all new 2016+ Highlander they have made it much more luxury and now they sell like hotcakes, well at least where i live. I see way more newer model Highlanders on the road than i do previous model. And thats just speaks volumes on what many people prefer.

Previous Gen Higlander:

New Gen Highlander:

In my opinion Luxury looks way better on a SUV.
Old 02-16-17, 06:24 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Hehehe Get 'em, Jill! I'm staying out of this one.
Old 02-16-17, 06:33 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

At least the steering wheel and gauges does look better but still not ideal design. The prevous gen Sequoia's gauges reminds me of spider eyes or "The Matrix Sentinels" FUGLY! What was toyota thinking?

Before refresh Sequoia gauges:

After Refresh Sequoia Gauges:

The first picture reminds me of these guys!
Old 02-16-17, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

At least the steering wheel and gauges does look better but still not ideal design. The prevous gen Sequoia's gauges reminds me of spider eyes or "The Matrix Sentinels" FUGLY! What was toyota thinking?

Can one say CHEAP? That painted silver is pathetic.

To be fair, though, in its favor, you at least get oil-presure and ammeter gauges over there on the right....something that many vehicles, today, don't offer.
Old 02-16-17, 12:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Take a look at the previous generation Highlander. It had that rugged big **** look too but they didn't sell very well compared to the new 2017 models. With the all new 2016+ Highlander they have made it much more luxury and now they sell like hotcakes, well at least where i live. I see way more newer model Highlanders on the road than i do previous model. And thats just speaks volumes on what many people prefer.

Previous Gen Higlander:

New Gen Highlander:

In my opinion Luxury looks way better on a SUV.
I am always amazed by the armchair critics. Pointing out all the little details that really make little difference.

You compared photos of a not-so-limited 07 Highlander to the looks-like-a-Limited model 17 Highlander....BTW
Old 02-16-17, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

After Refresh Sequoia Gauges:

The first picture reminds me of these guys!
The new Sequoia dash looks better, but I don't think the pre-refresh was horrible.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh