Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It wouldn't take much to freshen the body. It already has nice proportions, but needs modernized lights, grilles, and trim. The updated Highlander shows it can be done. With the other big manufacturers hot and heavy with their full-size SUV's, Toyota is missing out here.
Old 02-11-17, 12:49 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It wouldn't take much to freshen the body. It already has nice proportions, but needs modernized lights, grilles, and trim. The updated Highlander shows it can be done. With the other big manufacturers hot and heavy with their full-size SUV's, Toyota is missing out here.
Agreed, I don't get it. GM sells a TON of units in this market segment, Toyota, if they put the budget and minds to it, could really out-do the Tahoe and Suburban. I really hope Ford just kills GM in this segment with the all new Expidition and Navigatior, as I think GM has been way too conservative with their big SUV designs. Quite frankly I like the 2007-2014 GM SUVS a lot more than the current generation, better visibility, utility/cargo space is about the same, the Escalade has a more logical, easier to use radio/climate control, **** that CUE system. Kind of sad that an entry level $17,000 Chevy Sonic has an easier to use interface than a $100,000 Escalade.
Old 02-11-17, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think GM has been way too conservative with their big SUV designs.

How? Except for the old crappy, ineffective, repair-prone, Push-and-Pray brakes, which were truly awful (and that was addressed ten years ago, in 2007), GM has generally used a successful system on the big GM full-size SUVs that has worked well and generated huge sales. I hear a lot of negative comments about the live axle, but that axle can absorb a lot of punishment and allows large tow-ratings for those who want to tow boats or other heavy objects. Although Ford may finally be catching up, GM has also, in the last several years, done a better job on the big SUV interiors.
Old 02-11-17, 08:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Quite frankly I like the 2007-2014 GM SUVS a lot more than the current generation, better visibility, utility/cargo space is about the same, the Escalade has a more logical, easier to use radio/climate control, **** that CUE system. Kind of sad that an entry level $17,000 Chevy Sonic has an easier to use interface than a $100,000 Escalade.
I don't know about that. Perhaps Cadillac owners really like CUE? You don't like it, but that does not mean others may not.
Old 02-11-17, 09:38 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

TFT screen smaller then a $10 prepaid smartphone
New ***** and dials
Electronic platform upgraded
LED lights
PCS with PD

Its funny that this is called a refresh, seeing the biggest change would be the e platform to I guess accommodate theToyota Safety components

Last edited by coolsaber; 02-11-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-11-17, 10:55 AM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still no push button start
Old 02-12-17, 12:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FCReulB

still no push button start
Personally speaking, I like the good old fashioned key. Toyota V8s from the late 90s and early 00s had a feature that stopped restarting of the starter motor and would silence the radio if you did this. Toyota took it away from the current V8s in the Tundra and Sequoia.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 02:29 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I mentioned on another thread but wife is really leaning towards a Sequoia (or a LC or LX) to replace her 14 Pilot. The units sold for the Sequoia have been steadily diminishing since earlier this decade, but I imagine for Toyota it is a pure profit maker since it is largely based on the Tundra and not too much retooling needed. The Sequoia drives great, it just is too "truck like" and unrefined, as compared to other SUV's you could get for $60k. The Platinum we looked at, a 4x2 2016, you could get for right around $59k + TTL which is $5k off MSRP but the competition is really overwhelming the Sequoia.

We'll likely hold out, but this refresh should mean the fully redesigned Sequoia won't be out till 2021 or so.
Old 02-12-17, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Personally speaking, I like the good old fashioned key.
I agree with part of that....but keys can be replicated with a relatively simple machine at any hardware stand, though sometimes you get sharp edges on the duplicate that have to be further-smoothed out. Replicating the electronic fob, though, (if applicable), that goes with the key is a different matter. Push-button starting, with its remote fobs, is much more difficult for would-be-thieves or hackers to overcome. It also eliminates many of the ugly scratch-marks that keys can (and do) make on ignition switches and around the drivers' door-locks, though Scratch-Out can take care of at some of that.
Old 02-12-17, 07:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
I mentioned on another thread but wife is really leaning towards a Sequoia (or a LC or LX) to replace her 14 Pilot. The units sold for the Sequoia have been steadily diminishing since earlier this decade, but I imagine for Toyota it is a pure profit maker since it is largely based on the Tundra and not too much retooling needed. The Sequoia drives great, it just is too "truck like" and unrefined, as compared to other SUV's you could get for $60k. The Platinum we looked at, a 4x2 2016, you could get for right around $59k + TTL which is $5k off MSRP but the competition is really overwhelming the Sequoia.

We'll likely hold out, but this refresh should mean the fully redesigned Sequoia won't be out till 2021 or so.
The Sequoia is the better vehicle between Land Cruiser and LX for the American market. But the LC and LX are nicer.

My biggest gripe about Toyota and specifically their Tundra is that they charge almost $40K for the TRD model and you get no leather wrapped steering wheel. For me, a leather wrapped steering wheel is a deal breaker on any Toyota either low end or high end. No excuse for the TRD Tundra to not have one.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with part of that....but keys can be replicated with a relatively simple machine at any hardware stand, though sometimes you get sharp edges on the duplicate that have to be further-smoothed out. Replicating the electronic fob, though, (if applicable), that goes with the key is a different matter. Push-button starting, with its remote fobs, is much more difficult for would-be-thieves or hackers to overcome. It also eliminates many of the ugly scratch-marks that keys can (and do) make on ignition switches and around the drivers' door-locks, though Scratch-Out can take care of at some of that.
While I do miss the mechanical satisfaction of turning a key, overall I don't think I could go back to a car that didn't have keyless entry and start. My wife, ever since her 2004 Prius has flat out refused to even entertain purchasing a vehicle without keyless entry and start. She hates digging through her purse to get keys, in fact out house is all keyless combination locks now for that very reason.

I think thats a pretty glaring omission from this Sequoia, and it would be DOA as a vehicle option for us because of it.
Old 02-12-17, 08:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is now evidence that the modern remote- or keyless-entry systems are no more secure (and maybe even less secure) than the mechanical key.

Radio signals, such as those transmitted by remote-entry keys or key fobs, can be intercepted and deciphered by relatively easy-to-acquire (or easy-to-build) after-market electronic devices; this stolen data is stored in the memory of the device and can be re-transmitted later, allowing the person who possesses the device to steal the car.

(Here in Canada, there is no such thing as a purely mechanical ignition key anymore. For years, electronic anti-theft systems must be incorporated in every car sold in Canada. Even if a modern Canadian-sold car comes with an ignition key that does not incorporate the remote-locking transmitter in the keyhead, it is no longer an all-metal key but comes with a plastic keyhead within which is embedded the anti-theft electronics.)
Old 02-12-17, 08:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
While I do miss the mechanical satisfaction of turning a key, overall I don't think I could go back to a car that didn't have keyless entry and start. My wife, ever since her 2004 Prius has flat out refused to even entertain purchasing a vehicle without keyless entry and start. She hates digging through her purse to get keys, in fact out house is all keyless combination locks now for that very reason.

I think thats a pretty glaring omission from this Sequoia, and it would be DOA as a vehicle option for us because of it.
That will have to wait for the arrival of the new model. Toyota does tend to do this, namely keep some older technology around for years and years.
Old 02-12-17, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Oh, I agree that keyless ignition is a great convienience. My next car will probably have it.

If you think your wife had to purse-fumble too much before her Prius, it makes me think back to the 60s's, when I first learned to drive, and most GM cars had small (and somewhat flimsy) separate keys for ignition and door-locks. One had a round head, and the other was square....you used the round key to lock or unlock the doors, and then the square key for ignition. In other words, a PITA.

Old 02-13-17, 05:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Even I remember the separate door and ignition keys on GM cars! My dads 95 STS even had them, he also had an early 80s Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais that did also. They stuck with that for a LONG time.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh