Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 tesla model s p100d new record 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 07:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
So what's the Betamax equivalent in that comparison? There are only so many battery manufacturers that can produce the volume that the auto industry needs as it is.

Musk wanted to drive the competition towards electric vehicles and he's certainly done that. He wants to push the competition towards autonomous driving and he's doing that too.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You don't grow an industry by keeping all the key tech to yourself. Sony tried that they had a higher quality format and didn't want anyone else to profit from it so they decided to be the only game in town for the Beta machine. The rest is history.
If you have invested good money into what you believe is innovative technology, you want to protect it (by obtaining a legal patent) to try to prevent those who would steal the intellectual knowledge, produce it and sell it at much lower price, undercutting your costs. Once you have the patent, you can license the technology -- at a cost -- to allow others to use.

The American legal system will even help you here by allowing you to own patents without putting them to use by producing from them -- just sell the rights to use the technology. Just look at Paice; they hold patents on technology that is used by Ford and Toyota in their hybrid systems, yet they have never used them, preferring to sit on them and then sue when an automaker tried to use them.

I am not convinced that Tesla is that innovative. Tesla has merely put to use existing technology that other automakers have not because other automakers are looking further ahead. Tesla is using laptop battery cells whereas other automakers are investing in researching new battery chemistries. And Tesla's Autopilot uses off-the-shelf sensors. What Tesla is good at is pushing this technology to market quickly -- perhaps before the technology (witness the Autopilot autonomous driving system) is ready for primetime.

Originally Posted by MattyG
Tesla shares: $279.76. The company's market cap is $45.13B
Ford: $12.63 market cap $50.56B
GM: $36.80 market cap $58.23B

The key for Tesla will be to get their cars priced down to affordable levels and for electric charging infrastructure to catch up to potential buyers.
The key for Tesla is to make money. They are being kept alive by blind faith. Since going public in 2010, Tesla has only turned a profit twice, in different, non-consecutive quarters (only being profitable for 3 months at a time, not 6 months). And Tesla made money by selling green credits in California's cap-and-trade carbon market, not by building and selling cars at a profit.
Old 02-15-17, 08:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,685 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am not convinced that Tesla is that innovative. Tesla has merely put to use existing technology that other automakers have not because other automakers are looking further ahead. Tesla is using laptop battery cells whereas other automakers are investing in researching new battery chemistries.
What are other auto makers currently using in their electric cars and why is their battery tech better? Tesla is partnered with Panasonic they make the best cells out there. BTW the Model 3 will see a 30%+ increase in power density by moving to the 2170 cell, Samsung is going with a very similar design.

So what companies are ahead of Panasonic, Samsung, LG etc. and what auto makers are using these fantastic battery cells?
Old 02-16-17, 01:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I find it funny that everyone is saying Tesla will fail. But I think they will be just fine. Remember that crude oil is at a finite supply and one day we may not have any gasoline to burn. When the world runs low on oil the worlds governments will have to ration it to prolong the inevitable last drop in the bucket. That is when electric vehicles will start selling like hotcakes. Honestly, i really want to buy one and have the financial means to do so. I travel way too much sometimes more than 300 miles a day so that kinda range from a Tesla and its slow charging ability and lack of infrastructure prevents me from buying one.

But once all of these problems are solved with a lower price point that average joes can afford. I think Tesla will succeed. Almost every mainstream auto manufacturer are going towards the electric vehicle path to meet EPA and other government stadards. Elon Musk is a genius and is really shaking up the car industry. Before he created Tesla I was never impressed with any electrical car built by other manufactuers and this is the first time I like electric vehicles. Thanks to Tesla Motors.
But what about the competition?
The competition is much more experienced in engineering the chassis/body structure, and much more experienced in manufacturing.
The competition also has genuinely massive reserves of $$$.

Back in the 1990's, we had the Palm Pilot PDA with a pen-stylus resistive touch screen.
Bill Gates followed with a Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system OS with a color LCD screen.
By 2007, Apple pioneered the finger-driven capacitive touch screen in the iPhone 2G.
However in the years after, the then Microsoft CEO named Steve Ballmer made a "fatal" mistake, and he did NOT quickly develop a Microsoft finger-driven capacitive touchscreen device to compete.
Hence today, Microsoft is dead as far as Ms Windows Phone is concerned, with sales of less than 1% market share.

However, with EV vehicles, many major manufacturers have announced rapid EV development.
Only a few months ago, Akio Toyoda announced that he would spearhead the TMC EV team.
Hence, Tesla doesn't have a bright future.

I do agree with Bob Lutz & Marshall that in-housing the dealerships & supercharger stations is inefficient and costly.
However Tesla's greatest downfall will be the fact that the Lion battery and electric motor already has widespread industrial use throughout the world, and the competition has far more experience in developing the body and in manufacturing, plus their massive cash reserves.

It would have been great if Tesla had some kind of "monopoly" on the battery and electric motor - to keep the competition away; then their dreams will indeed come true...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-16-17 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:40 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but GM, Ford had electric vehicles at the end of the 90's and yet here we are, Tesla still way ahead of the competition. Sure they have more money and all of that, but when that money is not invested in R&D then it doesn't have the same impact in the car industry. Here we see every other car maker still profiting from their power in processes and their scale saving but Tesla is getting there also (well not really on the scale of the sales but they are still able to increase their margin now that they are selling more cars than ever).
Old 02-17-17, 03:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Yes, but GM, Ford had electric vehicles at the end of the 90's and yet here we are, Tesla still way ahead of the competition. Sure they have more money and all of that, but when that money is not invested in R&D then it doesn't have the same impact in the car industry. Here we see every other car maker still profiting from their power in processes and their scale saving but Tesla is getting there also (well not really on the scale of the sales but they are still able to increase their margin now that they are selling more cars than ever).
Those GM & Ford EV's in the late 1990's were all NiMH powered with mediocre electrical energy density, hence both mediocre performance and poor range.
The current Tesla electric vehicle revolution is based on lithium ion chemistry with very high energy density with excellent performance and decent range.
Old 02-17-17, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Electric vehicles did not start in the 1990s with GM's Impact. There were a number of them back in the early days of motoring, in the first couple of decades of the 20th century. What killed them off, back then, was the huge growth of the crude-oil and gas industry and the greater range/better flexibility of the gasoline-powered car. Pollution and air quality was not a concern in those days, except for a few notoriously dirty areas like Pittsburgh and its steel industry. L.A. had not yet grown large enough to be seriously polluted by car-exhausts....that would come later.
Old 02-17-17, 06:59 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Those GM & Ford EV's in the late 1990's were all NiMH powered with mediocre electrical energy density, hence both mediocre performance and poor range.
The current Tesla electric vehicle revolution is based on lithium ion chemistry with very high energy density with excellent performance and decent range.
The first-generation GM EV1 came with lead-acid batteries, worse than the nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries that came with the second-generation EV1 -- heavier and with shorter range. Battery chemistries certainly have come a long way in the 20 years since the EV1 was first introduced, and automakers like Toyota, GM and the German luxury brands are all investing money in batteries better than the current lithium-ion batteries.
Old 02-18-17, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The first-generation GM EV1 came with lead-acid batteries, worse than the nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries that came with the second-generation EV1 -- heavier and with shorter range. Battery chemistries certainly have come a long way in the 20 years since the EV1 was first introduced, and automakers like Toyota, GM and the German luxury brands are all investing money in batteries better than the current lithium-ion batteries.
NASA was using advanced batteries and/or fuel-cell systems as far back as the 1960s....though computers were far less capable than they are today. Auto makers would not (or simply found it too expensive) at the time to follow suit. Besides, with cheap gas, there was little or no incentive, at the time, to develop alternate-fuel vehicles. Significant fuel-crunches did not come until 1973-74.
Old 02-19-17, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

I am not convinced that Tesla is that innovative. Tesla has merely put to use existing technology that other automakers have not because other automakers are looking further ahead.
now that's funny. while i don't think anyone can say whether tesla will make it long term, to say they aren't innovative is absurd. i see more and more tesla cars on the road - they are the ONLY company to have ever made a stylish practical and more mainstream desirable electric car even if it's still expensive and far from perfect.

Tesla is using laptop battery cells whereas other automakers are investing in researching new battery chemistries. And Tesla's Autopilot uses off-the-shelf sensors.
doesn't matter what they're using, they're getting it done, and gaining real world insight into customers experience and next steps.

What Tesla is good at is pushing this technology to market quickly -- perhaps before the technology (witness the Autopilot autonomous driving system) is ready for primetime.
maybe so.

The key for Tesla is to make money. They are being kept alive by blind faith. Since going public in 2010, Tesla has only turned a profit twice, in different, non-consecutive quarters (only being profitable for 3 months at a time, not 6 months). And Tesla made money by selling green credits in California's cap-and-trade carbon market, not by building and selling cars at a profit.
part of the 'profit' problem i believe is re-investing money back into building the gigafactory, which has got to be insanely expensive. that and likely litigation against them trying to sell direct, which i am saddened for them, as i believe the sooner that car makers can sell direct, the better!

Originally Posted by pvmike1
You talk as if the Tesla sedan is still a niche vehicle. These vehicles are so commonplace here in Southern California, I don't even give them a second look anymore. I see many more of these, even P90Ds or P100Ds, than even say a Lexus LS.
same here without question.

Yet you state that the business model is questionable when everyone here can attest to the fact that the car is already accepted and used by the masses. Go ahead, ask.
well that's a different matter... if they gave away the cars they'd be popular but the business model would be doomed. as someone i used to work with said "you can easily sell gold coins for copper prices."

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Remember that crude oil is at a finite supply and one day we may not have any gasoline to burn.
but one day keeps getting FURTHER away as reserves continue to grow with new techniques and exploration.

Honestly, i really want to buy one and have the financial means to do so. I travel way too much sometimes more than 300 miles a day so that kinda range from a Tesla and its slow charging ability and lack of infrastructure prevents me from buying one.
sure, you and everyone else. if an electric car had 500mi. range and recharged in 5 minutes, they'd outsell fossill fuel cars immediately.

But once all of these problems are solved with a lower price point that average joes can afford. I think Tesla will succeed.
that's a big 'once' but the chevy bolt looks like a big step forward. but still, recharging is too slow.

Elon Musk is a genius and is really shaking up the car industry.
i get the feeling he's more interested these days in spacex than tesla though.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Only a few months ago, Akio Toyoda announced that he would spearhead the TMC EV team.
he makes lots of 'announcements'. need to see actual results.

but yes, tesla has pushed the car industry forward, whether tesla makes it down the road or not. as far as money, i could see them issuing new stock if they need to to raise funds, sure it's dillutive but with their current market cap the market will likely deal with it if it's explained properly.
Old 02-19-17, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
When is the next recession? I'd to know and plan accordingly.
Well, considering we have had recessions on an average of every 7 years since the Great Depression due to the standard business cycles of our economy, and the last one started in 2008, you may want to start planning. ;-)
Old 02-19-17, 07:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
You talk as if the Tesla sedan is still a niche vehicle. These vehicles are so commonplace here in Southern California, I don't even give them a second look anymore. I see many more of these, even P90Ds or P100Ds, than even say a Lexus LS. Yet you state that the business model is questionable when everyone here can attest to the fact that the car is already accepted and used by the masses. Go ahead, ask.

But I'm probably wasting my time trying to convince you that you are behind the times with your rhetoric since you are the self proclaimed voice of the majority. So keep on keeping on.
I agree that Tesla is a viable company, but your view of how successful they are is skewed living in Southern California. I visit there frequently, and it seems like Teslas are a dime-a-dozen. However, they aren't that ubiquitous in other areas of the country. I barely see any in Dallas, where I live, or in Seattle, where I visit every month. And Seattle residents are as "green" as it gets. They are just more Prius-types.
Old 02-20-17, 05:14 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd say leave that type of driving behavior to the track, no matter what type of car or driver it is. On the streets, it is dangerous and causes problems. The idea when driving was once to be *courteous* and safe around others. With such tempting power and elaborate on-board media devices distracting people, we've lost respect of the road.
in my opinion that's a moot point. You'll see hooligans on the street with all sorts of other cars, from priuses, to riced out civics, to hellcats and other high horsepower machines that aren't courteous to anyone either. This is just another vehicle that has a great 0-60 time. not sure why everyone's panties are in a bunch when discussing a tesla vs any other vehicle that gets a good 0-60 time??
Old 02-20-17, 05:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I agree that Tesla is a viable company, but your view of how successful they are is skewed living in Southern California. I visit there frequently, and it seems like Teslas are a dime-a-dozen. However, they aren't that ubiquitous in other areas of the country. I barely see any in Dallas, where I live, or in Seattle, where I visit every month. And Seattle residents are as "green" as it gets. They are just more Prius-types.
I'm surprised you don't see more in Seattle. I see several here every day. There are 3 or 4 just in my work parking lot.
Old 02-20-17, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd say leave that type of driving behavior to the track, no matter what type of car or driver it is. On the streets, it is dangerous and causes problems. The idea when driving was once to be *courteous* and safe around others. With such tempting power and elaborate on-board media devices distracting people, we've lost respect of the road.
Originally Posted by evident
in my opinion that's a moot point. You'll see hooligans on the street with all sorts of other cars, from priuses, to riced out civics, to hellcats and other high horsepower machines that aren't courteous to anyone either. This is just another vehicle that has a great 0-60 time. not sure why everyone's panties are in a bunch when discussing a tesla vs any other vehicle that gets a good 0-60 time??
Fizzboy is correct.....it is not a moot point by any means. Excessive power on the street, combined with immature and aggressive drivers, is a classic recipe for trouble...whether it is an all-electric Tesla or a classic American muscle car like the Hellcats. Not that long ago, a young kid totaled a GTO and killed himself drag-racing, not even a half mile from my house. And, as i've said in other posts, I've seen even more killed or hurt in V8 Mustangs.
Old 02-20-17, 01:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I agree with "great power comes great responsibility" mantra, don't drive like a ****/race on the street. However, I wouldn't just single out fast cars for a source of ire for jackass drivers. A lot of younger/immature guys with more money than sense are driving huge lifted "bro trucks" as I call them. Once again driving very aggressively, tailgating in something that has bad brakes and compromised handling from the lift kit. Can't tell you how many times I've seen idiots in 4wd trucks blow by me in the snow only to see them in the ditch a few miles down the road.

Quick Reply: 2017 tesla model s p100d new record 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds!