Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 tesla model s p100d new record 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 09:26 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Impressive numbers. But for the every-day Tesla driver, just what exactly does this create? Problems. Stopped at a light in a suburban city. Mothers and children around in SUV's. Light turns green, driver punches it. Car sneaks up on other cars with no sound at all. People are startled. People are pissed. "There goes another a-hole in a Tesla." Happens every day. Is this good for society? Not in my opinion. This acceleration madness has to end.
you do realize youre on a lexus board, right? yanno...luxury and isulation? there's so much sound deadening to keep you from hearing outside stuff, you cant hear your own exhaust much less the cars around you.

wait...you were being sarcastic?
Old 02-10-17, 10:14 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
you do realize youre on a lexus board, right? yanno...luxury and isulation? there's so much sound deadening to keep you from hearing outside stuff, you cant hear your own exhaust much less the cars around you.

wait...you were being sarcastic?
You and Fizzboy are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about what the driver hears (or does not hear) inside the vehicle. Fizzboy is talking about what pedestrians and other drivers -- outside the vehicle -- hear.
Old 02-10-17, 10:27 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroock639
everyone complaining is just huuurrrrrrt that they can't afford one

i agree though i wouldn't get a tesla unless i was rich enough to buy it as a pure toy and not something i'd have to depend on. when you're out on the highway it doesn't compare to something like a big AMG mercedes and the range becomes absolutely horrendous when you're driving it hard, which lets be honest you'll always want to do. not to mention it still takes awhile to charge up, and i still think the interior is crap. my rich indian friend's dad recently got the 90D and i have to say the ride is quite stiff as are the seats. still a very cool car though, especially from a relatively new company like tesla
Troll. A decently-equipped 60kwh Tesla comes in at $70K and isn't too bad of a lease either, it's certainly not that much out of reach for a lot of members on this forum, especially those who already own a GS or LS.

Nice to see an Indian dude buy something besides a Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura lol. 99% of us don't venture from those brands.
Old 02-10-17, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
everyone complaining is just huuurrrrrrt that they can't afford one

I think it's more than simply the size of one's bank-account. Not everyone has access to outdoor charging-outlets.....or even to indoor ones inside a garage.
Old 02-10-17, 11:08 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think it's more than simply the size of one's bank-account. Not everyone has access to outdoor charging-outlets.....or even to indoor ones inside a garage.
Agreed, or some of us just like the sound an IC engine makes and think driving enjoyment is more than a single straight line blast that you can brag to your friends about. I want to make sure and burn up my fair share of those dead dinosaurs before they are gone. If this was a forum for modded civics the "you can't afford" statement might hold generally true. On this forum I would caution making that assumption, as a great number of regular contributors on this forum could afford most anything this side of a Bugatti. I'm not in Hypercar territory but paying cash for a Tesla would not be an issue. My wife and I drive what we drive because we like it, I assume many on this board are the same.
Old 02-10-17, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Right, so why did they include Ludicrous mode then?
because it generates discussion / press.
Old 02-10-17, 11:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
To anyone who thinks any amount of acceleration is pointless, please pick up your skirt and exit this thread. Last I checked, this forum is for car enthusiasts.

0-60 in under 2.3 seconds is amazing.
LOL!

Huge +1

not bad for a 5000 lb 4door sedan

Last edited by bagwell; 02-10-17 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 04:07 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
To anyone who thinks any amount of acceleration is pointless, please pick up your skirt and exit this thread. Last I checked, this forum is for car enthusiasts.

0-60 in under 2.3 seconds is amazing.
Agree that in a straight line those are amazing but where and when is that needed with a street sedan?

There's so much more to being a car enthusiast than 0-60 numbers. One can revel in the history of a car maker, study design elements, monitor sales trends, anticipate new models coming out, and help others make good buying decisions. These are all things people who "like cars" do day in and day out.
One trip to a "Cars and Coffee" event will support your opinion. The one in the Bay Area last month where multi-hundred thousand dollar cars along side modified street vehicles was an eclectic sight to see....

I'd say leave that type of driving behavior to the track, no matter what type of car or driver it is. On the streets, it is dangerous and causes problems. The idea when driving was once to be *courteous* and safe around others. With such tempting power and elaborate on-board media devices distracting people, we've lost respect of the road.
Our gorgeous LS460 was reared ended, stopped on a rainy freeway, by an also-stopped ML350 slammed into by a very large tow truck (towing a vehicle no less) when the tow truck did not even brake (we believe he was texting but will never know). We are finally getting the car back tomorrow (after $16K or so in repairs).

I am still not a fan of electric cars and with gas prices being where they are it could be a while still for these to evolve and be affordable and practical. Tesla no doubt is leading that way but car making is a high risk business and has fickle consumers to court and capture. And, at $150K there are a long list of cars to compete with....
Old 02-10-17, 04:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny how people whine about a slow Prius, now people are complaining Model S is too fast, LOL!
Old 02-10-17, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Funny how people whine about a slow Prius, now people are complaining Model S is too fast, LOL!
First, there is no reason to complain about a slow Prius. A wise person will know that the Prius is not designed for speed. Most of the people who buy and drive them are not concerned about speed. Now, yes, previous versions of the Prius (less so with the new Prius Prime) did drive like an appliance.....even by appliance standards LOL. I myself have made some comments about that....but that does not mean that I was complaining. Again, the Prius is not meant to be a sport sedan.

And, as for the Model S, while, yes, 0-60 in just over two seconds is amazing by drag-strip standards, again, we're talking about street use. A car that fast could be exceedingly dangerous in the hands of immature or overly-aggressive drivers, especially in traffic or with pedestrians around.
Old 02-10-17, 05:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Troll. A decently-equipped 60kwh Tesla comes in at $70K and isn't too bad of a lease either, it's certainly not that much out of reach for a lot of members on this forum, especially those who already own a GS or LS.

Nice to see an Indian dude buy something besides a Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura lol. 99% of us don't venture from those brands.
i'm talking specifically about this P100D model, yes the "entry level" Model S isn't that unobtainable
Old 02-11-17, 02:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Guys, lot of personal and sweeping commentary in this thread that I'll ask you drop. Let's keep it on the vehicle
Old 02-11-17, 11:02 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Can you imagine if they put that power train into a much smaller and more lightweight, 2-door chassis?

Imagine a sub 3500lb, gutted racecar running on this electric power plant? Basically game over for everyone.
Old 02-11-17, 02:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Can you imagine if they put that power train into a much smaller and more lightweight, 2-door chassis?

Imagine a sub 3500lb, gutted racecar running on this electric power plant? Basically game over for everyone.
I don't think they could get the weight down to under 3500lbs. Maybe they could, but then the battery would be so small it would only give you a 20 mile range. Besides Tesla already did a sports car based on the Lotus Elise and it was a flop in the market place.

As cool as this blistering acceleration is, I think Tesla is missing the boat on getting electric cars to go mainstream. Increased range and reduced price need to be the engineering goals. That is unless Tesla is content to be a niche car maker catering exclusively to the wealthy. That can be a dangerous strategy for a small company like Tesla, sales would tank in a recession.
Old 02-11-17, 03:08 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, it's fast but ... just don't turn the steering wheel! Anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line but the real challenge is is to make a car fast in the corners.

Quick Reply: 2017 tesla model s p100d new record 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds!