Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on buying used with re-painted bumpers

Old 02-08-17, 02:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well this one hasn't had the front bumper re-sprayed, LOL.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS460
Old 02-08-17, 02:35 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a report of someone who bought a car there had been poorly re-painted on the front end. I will not judge them solely based on this though. There have also been a lot of good reviews left online from happy customers.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...s-texas-511185
Old 02-08-17, 02:36 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bagwell
well this one hasn't had the front bumper re-sprayed, LOL.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS460
That's just a hole for the air intake LOL. You get about 10HP to the wheel
Old 02-08-17, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
Here is a report of someone who bought a car there had been poorly re-painted on the front end. I will not judge them solely based on this though. There have also been a lot of good reviews left online from happy customers.

Long time ago too
Old 02-08-17, 03:42 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Thank you for your insight , I appreciate it. The car is in Dallas at a dealership. I appreciate your offer, let me know if it's close to you. I do love the car, it's exactly what I want.
I am 45 minutes from dallas, which dealer is it at?
Old 02-08-17, 04:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also...Read the comments....They replied and wanted to help the customer.
Old 02-08-17, 05:57 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I am 45 minutes from dallas, which dealer is it at?
Here is a link . It's a bit of a drive. But if you are out that way anytime soon, maybe you could take a look. I wouldn't think of asking anyone to drive 45 minutes for me. I had a forum member on here go check out an LS430 in Texas for me years ago. It was being sold by the biggest auto dealer on Ebay. The car ended up being pretty crappy with lots of dings, scratches, signs of bondo and wear. I was glad someone was able to check it out for me and save me a lot of time and aggravation.

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/vehic...tx-id-16854287
Old 02-08-17, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I found what I thought was the perfect 2011 LS in Texas.
Is this a CPO (Certified Previously-Owned) car? The CPO time limit for a Lexus product is 6 years/70,000 miles, so it might (?) be pretty close.

The sales rep told me 90 percent of the used cars at dealer lots have had bumpers re-painted. I don't believe that, is he right?
Well, look at 90% of the cars parked in almost any parking lot or mall, and you will have your answer. That many (or close to it) will likely have some kind of ding, scratch, or dent in the bumper. Between kids, bikes, shopping-carts, road-debris, trees dropping things, and careless people, it is almost impossible to keep them like new.
Old 02-08-17, 07:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We've now had our bumpers replaced/repainted on both our G37 and A4 due to minor accidents. Both are perfect, and there is no variation in color. Even better, when we end the G37 lease in June it will be the only 39-month old G37 Vert with no rock chips on the front bumper.

Additionally, an incompetent valet parking attendant pulled my previous '15 S5 into a concrete parking bench. Bumper repainted. Looked perfect. No issues.
Old 02-08-17, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
We've now had our bumpers replaced/repainted on both our G37 and A4 due to minor accidents. Both are perfect, and there is no variation in color. Even better, when we end the G37 lease in June it will be the only 39-month old G37 Vert with no rock chips on the front bumper.

Additionally, an incompetent valet parking attendant pulled my previous '15 S5 into a concrete parking bench. Bumper repainted. Looked perfect. No issues.
In general, the hardest colors to perfectly match are metallic silvers and light metallic blues and greens. Thats is because, only a very small amount of pigment is needed, and it has to be mixed in with the metallics just perfectly...there is no room for any error. Darker colors, particularly non-metallics, are much easier, because you use a lot more pigment and there is a lot more room for error.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-09-17 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 05:01 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is this a CPO (Certified Previously-Owned) car? The CPO time limit for a Lexus product is 6 years/70,000 miles, so it might (?) be pretty close.
It's not a Lexus dealership.
Old 02-09-17, 08:03 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is a link . It's a bit of a drive. But if you are out that way anytime soon, maybe you could take a look. I wouldn't think of asking anyone to drive 45 minutes for me. I had a forum member on here go check out an LS430 in Texas for me years ago. It was being sold by the biggest auto dealer on Ebay. The car ended up being pretty crappy with lots of dings, scratches, signs of bondo and wear. I was glad someone was able to check it out for me and save me a lot of time and aggravation.

This dealer has a pretty good rep; I'm about half an hour away from them. Unfortunately am in Detroit over the next couple of days so can't swing by....plus if I stop by, my wife would be ultra-pissed because I'd end up buying another LS.
I'm not questioning your needs, but if you don't need a LWB, 2013's are dropping pretty quick in price and you can find them in the mid $30s with significant (IMHO) upgrades under 50k miles too.
Old 02-09-17, 08:32 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Oh, there isn't even a need for me to go look. These guys have a phenomenal reputation here. They sell all manner of cars here, including higher end exotics as well. You should have no issues buying a car from them, and I feel confident in saying that they are good because enough of my friends have had awesome buying experiences from them that I can put it out there. I am buying my next truck from this dealer.
Old 02-09-17, 06:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, the hardest colors to perfectly match are metallic silvers and light metallic blues and greens. Thats is because, only a very small amount of pigment is needed, and it has to be mixed in with the metallics just perfectly...there is no room for any error. Darker colors, particularly non-metallics, are much easier, because you use a lot more pigment and there is a lot more room for error.
My S5 was Florett Silver, and there were no variations in the paint after the bodywork, but I did use a body shop that specializes in Audi. Same with our G37, which is Graphite Platinum (metallic gray). Went to an Infiniti bodyshop. Looks perfect.
Old 02-09-17, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
My S5 was Florett Silver, and there were no variations in the paint after the bodywork, but I did use a body shop that specializes in Audi. Same with our G37, which is Graphite Platinum (metallic gray). Went to an Infiniti bodyshop. Looks perfect.
Yes.........silver can be done well, if you have a good body shop with skilled painters. But, in general, it is among the most difficult (if not THE most difficult) color to match. I have seen many vehicles with mismatched silver shades, particularly when the sunlight hits them directly.