Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on buying used with re-painted bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 07:46 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on buying used with re-painted bumpers

I found what I thought was the perfect 2011 LS in Texas. I called this morning and asked the salesman if it had paint work and he admitted both bumpers had been "professionally" painted during the re-conditioning process. My thoughts were if I get this car back home 1300 miles away and the paint starts failing then it's on me to get it re-painted locally. Not a chance I want to take.

Can a reputable body shop even come close to what Lexus does in their factory paint booths? If I am paying 32 grand for a used car I feel like it should not have any previous body or paint work. Just my opinion. What are your thoughts? The sales rep told me 90 percent of the used cars at dealer lots have had bumpers re-painted. I don't believe that, is he right? I guess I will make sure to bring a paint meter when I find something I like.
Old 02-08-17, 08:38 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

IMO, a good professional shop can actually paint BETTER than the factory. A good paint and body team can lay down a paintjob so good, you might think the car were dipped in paint rather than sprayed with it.

While I don't think the number is as high as 90%, even new cars get body work done sometimes. Your sales guy is right in that regard, but may have taken some "used car salesman" license with that stat. Car lot guys ding them or back them into each other by accident, or they bump a mirror getting them off the trucks, things happen. As long as the work was done by a good shop, using quality paint (DuPont, PPG, etc), and the process was done correctly, there is no reason whatsoever to be concerned.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-08-17 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 08:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

What part of Texas is it located in? If you are not local to it and I am close, I would be happy to go take a look at it on your behalf.
Old 02-08-17, 08:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It wouldn't bother me as long as the work was done well. My RX had to have a new bumper and paint after we were hit, and the shop did a great job and there was no way to tell it didn't come that way from the factory.
Old 02-08-17, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I wouldn't worry about this at all as long as the work is done well. Many dealerships respray bumpers as a normal part of their reconditioning process. My Lexus dealer repaints the front bumper on almost every car they take in.
Old 02-08-17, 11:37 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

When I picked up my 2010 LS, because it had seen so many highway miles there were a lot of nicks on the front bumper. An instance where I wish the selling dealer had repainted it. As long as you don't think they're hiding anything (check out lexus service history) you should be ok.
Old 02-08-17, 12:00 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SW15LS has it right. I'll bet a majority of used cars have had some sort of paintwork done between trade in an resale. Wouldn't bother me one bit.
Old 02-08-17, 01:11 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
What part of Texas is it located in? If you are not local to it and I am close, I would be happy to go take a look at it on your behalf.
Thank you for your insight , I appreciate it. The car is in Dallas at a dealership. I appreciate your offer, let me know if it's close to you. I do love the car, it's exactly what I want.
Old 02-08-17, 01:22 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

at least they're truthful and told you about it, that's a plus.

If you're worried about it (or not) I'd ask them to throw in a clear bra on the bumper and hood.

is this it?
http://www.texascarsdirect.com/vehic...tx-id-16854287

Last edited by bagwell; 02-08-17 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 01:29 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bagwell
at least they're truthful and told you about it, that's a plus.

If you're worried about it (or not) I'd ask them to throw in a clear bra on the bumper and hood.

is this it?
http://www.texascarsdirect.com/vehic...tx-id-16854287
Yup that's it. You can see a difference in the color of the rear bumper in one of the pics but I cannot tell if it is just a glare. That car is well put together with white on black, LWB, suede headliner, ML stereo. It doesn't have air suspension but I'm ok with that. It looks immaculate and 40k miles is practically new.
Old 02-08-17, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Theres enough factory variation in the paint between bumpers and body on a pearl white or silver or champagne car I wouldn't assume thats had work done.

That car is really nice, and that dealer actually has a great reputation...
Old 02-08-17, 01:37 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

I agree about the dealer. Just like any other business they do have some complaints, but for the most part they have great feedback. The person I spoke with was not shady at all. I am glad he was honest, that speaks volumes about his character. I have a decision to make considering there are only 2-3 other cars on my radar right now without having to go to Cali.
Old 02-08-17, 01:52 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

would rather have a newly painted nose piece than a chipped/pitted one. as long as they did it right and used the right paint i don't see the problem.
Old 02-08-17, 02:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the White on black..!!

no complaints on BBB
https://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-...as-tx-90007674

Last edited by bagwell; 02-08-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know a guy who bought a car from there sign unseen, it was a great car. All their cars look super clean

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying used with re-painted bumpers