Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rented a 2017 Ford Expedition for the day...I was surprised...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Rented a 2017 Ford Expedition for the day...I was surprised...

My LS460 was in to my independent mechanic today for the 30k service and new front brakes, needed a car for the day so I rented a full sized car from Enterprise. Got surprised with an upgrade to a 2017 Expedition Limited. Put a good many miles on it, drove it in the city, parallel parked multiple times, spent some time on the highway. It had been a long time since I have driven an Expedition, with it being so long in the tooth (it shows in look and feel inside and out) I was actually pleasantly surprised...I liked it...more than the new Suburban I drove a couple weeks ago actually.

The Suburban/Tahoe is a lot nicer inside, and looks a lot better IMHO, but I was surprised by how drivable that Expedition was. Comfortable, rode well, reasonably quiet on the highway. Audio was good, bluetooth phone worked well. Not tiring to drive at all, even around DC. In fact...dare I say...I liked driving it better than the new LX570 I drove a couple months ago. It had a heavier feel to it, the weight seemed to sag on it when accelerating, braking, and turning. Steering was very heavy, while the Expedition felt effortless to drive, and nowhere near as big as it is.

Really surprising...

Issues I had? Interior is total crap. No dead pedal, feels ancient. Ford's tech is okay, although oddly my well equipped leather Limited with Sync and touchscreen didn't have navigation. Its pretty ugly. I left half of the roof of it at my parking garage at work. Other than that though, I liked it. Perhaps I will consider an SUV next time.
Old 02-06-17, 07:01 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The Expedition comes exclusively with the 3.5 EcoBoost now right? How were the manners of the V6 in terms of power delivery, harshness, etc?
Old 02-06-17, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My LS460 was in to my independent mechanic today for the 30k service and new front brakes, needed a car for the day so I rented a full sized car from Enterprise.
Guess you can't expect a loaner if you don't use a Lexus shop.

Got surprised with an upgrade to a 2017 Expedition Limited. Put a good many miles on it, drove it in the city, parallel parked multiple times, spent some time on the highway. It had been a long time since I have driven an Expedition, with it being so long in the tooth (it shows in look and feel inside and out) I was actually pleasantly surprised...I liked it...more than the new Suburban I drove a couple weeks ago actually.

The Suburban/Tahoe is a lot nicer inside, and looks a lot better IMHO, but I was surprised by how drivable that Expedition was. Comfortable, rode well, reasonably quiet on the highway. Audio was good, bluetooth phone worked well. Not tiring to drive at all, even around DC. In fact...dare I say...I liked driving it better than the new LX570 I drove a couple months ago. It had a heavier feel to it, the weight seemed to sag on it when accelerating, braking, and turning. Steering was very heavy, while the Expedition felt effortless to drive, and nowhere near as big as it is.

Really surprising...

Issues I had? Interior is total crap. No dead pedal, feels ancient. Ford's tech is okay, although oddly my well equipped leather Limited with Sync and touchscreen didn't have navigation. Its pretty ugly. I left half of the roof of it at my parking garage at work. Other than that though, I liked it.
I agree the Expedition's interior is second-rate compared to today's GM competition....but when the current version of the Expedition first debuted, it was considered state-of-the-art, a big leap ahead of the last version.

As you noticed, the Ford people worked quite a bit on the F-150's body-on-frame underpinnings and truck-suspension to try and get a smooth ride for the Expedition, yet still maintaining good tow-ratings. I noticed that good ride comfort, too, when I reviewed a long-wheelbase Expedition EL for a former co-worker a few years ago.

Perhaps I will consider an SUV next time.
LOL ......You and everyone else, it seems like.
Old 02-06-17, 07:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad to hear your overall experience was good. I had a Chevy Traverse while my A4 was in the body shop and it was just awful. Aside from the fact that it was just too big, it had Chevy's aqua lighting and hard plastics, and it was underpowered. There was an aqua lighting strip above the glovebox that I thought was pretty cool during the day, but at night it looked like plastic tubing. I thought maybe they had left the plastic coating on, but I was wrong. ;-)
Old 02-06-17, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
The Expedition comes exclusively with the 3.5 EcoBoost now right? How were the manners of the V6 in terms of power delivery, harshness, etc?
Very good on all fronts, felt a lot like a V8.
Old 02-06-17, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Glad to hear your overall experience was good. I had a Chevy Traverse while my A4 was in the body shop and it was just awful. Aside from the fact that it was just too big, it had Chevy's aqua lighting and hard plastics, and it was underpowered. There was an aqua lighting strip above the glovebox that I thought was pretty cool during the day, but at night it looked like plastic tubing. I thought maybe they had left the plastic coating on, but I was wrong. ;-)
Whats funny was I had a choice between the Expedition and a Traverse LOL
Old 02-06-17, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You made the right decision!
Old 02-06-17, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Whats funny was I had a choice between the Expedition and a Traverse LOL
The current Traverse is on its way out. It will be redesigned this coming fall.
Old 02-06-17, 07:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

When is the new Expedition expected?
Old 02-06-17, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I left half of the roof of it at my parking garage at work.
what does this mean?
Old 02-06-17, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what does this mean?
LOL, it's very tall, apparently my garage at work is less tall
Old 02-06-17, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Ford hasn't publicly announced a specific date, but as I understand it, sometime within the next 12 months as a 2018 model. It will supposedly keep the body-on-frame configuration, but, like the new F-150, use aluminum and high-strength boron steel.
Old 02-06-17, 08:09 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 15 explorer sport livernois tuned I'm gonna have to line up the 300 against it soon
Old 02-06-17, 09:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Curious if you are using an independent mechanic to save money or for another reason. The cost to rent a car vs. a free loaner from most Lexus dealerships may negate any cost savings. *discuss*
Old 02-06-17, 10:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
It'll be here by the end of the year.

Quick Reply: Rented a 2017 Ford Expedition for the day...I was surprised...