Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge/Ram vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 09:20 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Dodge/Ram vehicles

I am looking for a second car to replace my 1992 NSX. Nothing really wrong with the latter, just a bit too impractical toy taking up garage space. I have this liking for these three Dodge/Ram vehicles which I can get new with huge discounts:
Ram 1500 4x4
Challenger/Charger Hellcat
Durango R/T V8

Am I crazy for even considering these vehicles?
Old 02-06-17, 11:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you're gonna miss that NSX....if it's in decent condition it's worth some good money!
Old 02-06-17, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
I am looking for a second car to replace my 1992 NSX. Nothing really wrong with the latter, just a bit too impractical toy taking up garage space. I have this liking for these three Dodge/Ram vehicles which I can get new with huge discounts:
Ram 1500 4x4
Challenger/Charger Hellcat
Durango R/T V8

Am I crazy for even considering these vehicles?
Are you SURE you can get a Hellcat at a discount? Because of the publicity these cars get in the auto press, dealers tend to price-gouge...substantially over list.
Old 02-06-17, 11:41 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe driving Chrysler products lowers mental acuity

most folks you see holding up traffic are driving them

​​​​​​​as a new NSX owner I vote for you keeping your NSX
Old 02-06-17, 12:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you SURE you can get a Hellcat at a discount? Because of the publicity these cars get in the auto press, dealers tend to price-gouge...substantially over list.
It's cooled down, especially if you're looking for a Charger. Honestly OP there's really no horror stories to be had with those vehicles this late in their product cycles (provided you get gas engines in the RAM), although I'd say the Durango is probably the best multi-purpose tool out all of those.
Old 02-06-17, 12:07 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I seriously considered a FCA vehicle because you can buy a lifetime Maxcare warranty from them as long as it is non-diesel. I shopped for a Ram Crew Cab 1500 4x4 hemi, managed to find one in Austin, TX that was $18k off (~30% off MSRP) which was very well equipped with the venerable air ride suspension. Not as plushy as my LS but pretty solid for a truck. Durango's are fun; their interior is a hit/miss for me. I considered a Durango very briefly then realized I'd get a lot more bang for my buck with a Ram (plus better resale values).

Can't speak for a challenger/charger.
Old 02-06-17, 03:57 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
you're gonna miss that NSX....if it's in decent condition it's worth some good money!
It's a great conversation starter for sure, and the best part is that it has actually appreciated in value since I bought it. However, I've find that I don't get much driving enjoyment from it.
Old 02-06-17, 03:59 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes I am sure. I think this is due to the new top dog "Demon" being just around the corner.
Old 02-06-17, 04:00 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

as a new NSX owner I vote for you keeping your NSX
I might be one of these people
Congrats on the 2G NSX
Old 02-06-17, 04:04 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's cooled down, especially if you're looking for a Charger. Honestly OP there's really no horror stories to be had with those vehicles this late in their product cycles (provided you get gas engines in the RAM), although I'd say the Durango is probably the best multi-purpose tool out all of those.
Right now the Durango is last on my list, but it's also the least costly (at least for version that I like).
Old 02-06-17, 04:06 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha,. LOL😃😃😃😃

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

​​​​​​​as a new NSX owner I vote for you keeping your NSX
Old 02-06-17, 04:14 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wandl
I seriously considered a FCA vehicle because you can buy a lifetime Maxcare warranty from them as long as it is non-diesel. I shopped for a Ram Crew Cab 1500 4x4 hemi, managed to find one in Austin, TX that was $18k off (~30% off MSRP) which was very well equipped with the venerable air ride suspension. Not as plushy as my LS but pretty solid for a truck. Durango's are fun; their interior is a hit/miss for me. I considered a Durango very briefly then realized I'd get a lot more bang for my buck with a Ram (plus better resale values).

Can't speak for a challenger/charger.
Thank you, this is exactly how I felt about the Ram. I really like how the V8 Hemi drove. I like the air ride too, but a bit worry about the trouble it might bring. I can order the truck as the options are offered from the factory at dealer invoice. However, that orange with black stripes Challenger Hellcat on the showroom floor kept tugging me towards it.
Old 02-06-17, 09:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, crazy. Poor build quality, poor reliability, cheap materials, dated interior designs, immature drivers, and horrible resale. You can do better.
Old 02-06-17, 10:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Right now the Durango is last on my list, but it's also the least costly (at least for version that I like).
Well if you want to spend more money, this just debuted:

Originally Posted by AutoBlog
The playbook for Dodge right now is pretty simple. Wring as much power out of as many things as humanly possible. Now comes the 2018 Dodge Durango SRT. Packing 475 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, this seven-seat school bus will scoot to 60 miles per hour in just 4.4 seconds. Since the latest Durango launched for 2014, Dodge has unabashedly called it a three-row Charger. This beefy SUV makes that aggressive claim even more legit.

"It does all the things we want a performance car to do," says Mark Trostle, head of performance, passenger, and utility vehicle exterior design. "It really is our three-row Charger."

The 6.4-liter (392 cubic inches) Hemi V8 is considerably stronger than the already-potent 5.7-liter Hemi V8, which is rated at 360 hp and 390 lb-ft in the most powerful Durango available now. The SRT powertrain includes the TorqueFlight eight-speed automatic transmission used in the lesser Durango models (and many other FCA US vehicles), though it's calibrated specifically to the sportier demeanor of the SRT model. A similarly retuned full-time all-wheel-drive system rounds out the powertrain. Despite the fact this is a hot-rod SUV, it can still tow 8,600 pounds with a trailer, 1,200 pounds more than the most capable 2017 Durango (the rear-wheel 5.7-liter variant).

The Durango SRT is an obvious move for Dodge. The Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is built on the same platform in the same factory in Detroit, already has an SRT model. With rumors of a Hellcat-powered Grand Cherokee swirling and another Demonic Challenger on the way, the Durango was overdue for an engine upgrade. "When we launched the Durango in 2014, this is the one we really wanted," says Tim Kuniskis, head of FCA US' passenger car brands.

There's no doubt this is an enthusiast-oriented SUV. Dodge even went to the trouble of certifying the Durango SRT's 12.9-second quarter-mile time with the NHRA and tested it a Virginia International Raceway. Buy a Durango SRT, and you get a full day at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving. When's the last time anyone did all of that with a three-row ute?

It certainly looks the part. The hood bulges with new air-ducts to help keep the big Hemi chilled appropriately. There's a new front fascia with more air vents and LED fog lamps. Plus, the grille takes on a menacing new glare with a mesh pattern, and the body gets wider wheel flares. Click through the gallery, it really does look like a Charger from some angles. "It has a family of shapes that all of our SRT products have," Trostle says.

Dodge also stiffened the suspension; the springs are 3 percent tighter up front and 16 percent stiffer in back, which is said to improve cornering. It has Brembo brakes and two Pirelli tire choices, and the exhaust is tuned to sound like (you guessed it) the Charger SRT.

Inside, the Durango SRT version loses the **** in favor of a T-shifter meant to convey a sportier attitude, which works with the flat-bottom SRT steering wheel and SRT paddle shifters. It can be driven in up to seven (seven!) different modes, including Sport, Track, Snow, and Tow. The cabin gets standard Nappa leather dressed up with suede inserts, SRT logos, and a 180-mph speedometer (the top speed hadn't been certified as of this writing). Performance seats are also available with Demonic Red Leather.

Dodge wouldn't announce pricing or fuel economy. Expect them to be SRT-ish, which is to say surprisingly reasonable. Debuting this week at the Chicago Auto Show, the high-powered Durango goes on sale in the fall.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-rows-of-seats
Old 02-07-17, 06:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually my answer would be "as long as you have it under warranty during the entire ownership period, you're fine".

However in this case, I can't even say that. It will be at the dealer a lot while they try to find out what's wrong with it. And they'll give it back saying "it's fine, that's how they are".

Unless they are offering you something at FCA that you can't get elsewhere (like that Durango SRT or Hellcat), I'd keep looking. If you're cool with the prospect that you may be dealing with a potential headache, go for it. For some it's worth it if they like the car enough.

Best case? Lease the most insane one. Under no circumstances should you have it after 5 years or after warranty. And forget resale.

I'd try to find something acceptable from an automaker that's not currently at the bottom of the reliability pack if I could. If not, screw it and enjoy yourself!

Quick Reply: Dodge/Ram vehicles