Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Post Sale Survey

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 05:57 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Lexus Post Sale Survey

On another thread I detailed my bad experience buying a 2017RX. I told my longtime salesman that I was going to give negative marks on the survey. He was clearly concerned and said his compensation would suffer. Is this really true? How does the dealership and salesperson compensation suffer or become enhanced based on the surveys.
Old 02-05-17, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

My advice is give yourself a few more days before you fill out the survey, and then see how you feel. You just got a new vehicle (and congratulations on your purchase) and emotions are naturally still running a little high. Sometimes, looking back in the rear-view mirror, what seems bad at first doesn't always look so bad after a little more time has passed.

I'd also, before filling the survey out, consider a few other factors. First, if you didn't like the way the GM (General Manager) treated you, I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the salesperson....he or she sometimes has their hands tied. For instance, I bought a Lexus IS300, some years ago, where the salesman treated me very well, but I found the sales-manager and GM, for several reasons, what I considered less than reasonable. Still bought the car anyway, and gave the salesperson a good mark on the survey. You never know what can happen in the future....sometimes that salesperson may be in a position to help you later....appreciative of the fact that you bought a car from him. That salesperson I bought my IS300 from went on to leave that Lexus dealership.....and is now the General Manager himself of a big Ford/Lincoln shop (still remembers me and that Lexus sale, and I could go to his shop and probably get a good deal today on a new Ford or Lincoln if I really wanted one).

I don't know all of the ins and outs of how or if every dealership and auto manufacturer ties bonus-pay to employees of dealerships who get good survey marks (or who dock the pay and compensation of those who don't). But, in general, I'd think twice, even if less than fully satisfied, before giving the salesperson a black mark, particularly if your main beef is with the GM. if the salesperson will, in fact, lose some money or compensation because of that, it might be coming out of money he or she will need to feed their families with.

So, I'm not saying don't give the place a bad mark (that's your decision, of course) ......just give it a little time and thought before you fill out that paperwork and send it in. Once you do, you usually can't change it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-05-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 07:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Mike gives good advice above.

My take on it is to avoid all surveys. They are complete drama. And they are unfair. Mainly, it creates a fake and unnatural incentive for (good) work to be done. That in my opinion is not honesty or integrity.

Also, and most importantly, ***it is not your job to do the human resource work for another company***. If they want to take your time and hire you as a temporary coach to see who's doing what, they should be paying you for your time and compensating you. You do not work for free. And it is not your job to help another company with their trails and tribulations. Let them pay for their own outfit to do research on themselves. I feel we need to stop feeding this madness. Stay out of the drama and save yourself the time and hassle. A successful company should have the means to do their own research.
Old 02-05-17, 08:22 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Mike gives good advice above.

My take on it is to avoid all surveys. They are complete drama. And they are unfair. Mainly, it creates a fake and unnatural incentive for (good) work to be done. That in my opinion is not honesty or integrity.

Also, and most importantly, ***it is not your job to do the human resource work for another company***. If they want to take your time and hire you as a temporary coach to see who's doing what, they should be paying you for your time and compensating you. You do not work for free. And it is not your job to help another company with their trails and tribulations. Let them pay for their own outfit to do research on themselves. I feel we need to stop feeding this madness. Stay out of the drama and save yourself the time and hassle. A successful company should have the means to do their own research.

I think you are missing the point. The survey may be the only serious way I can spank a dealer who treated me poorly. I am just askin how to quantify that.
Old 02-05-17, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Unfortunately, the person that the survey will hurt is the salesperson, **** rolls downhill. If you like the salesperson but are unhappy with the dealer, I would skip the survey.
Old 02-05-17, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, a negative review will seriously hurt the salesman's compensation, in a pretty significant way

the same goes for survey on dealership service. so i always try to make it clear, the survey are on the person, need to be very careful (and considerate)
Old 02-06-17, 03:33 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
On another thread I detailed my bad experience buying a 2017RX. I told my longtime salesman that I was going to give negative marks on the survey. He was clearly concerned and said his compensation would suffer. Is this really true? How does the dealership and salesperson compensation suffer or become enhanced based on the surveys.
Your other thread/posts suggest that a new GM at your dealer was the problem - you don't even mention the salesperson at all, so was the salesperson even a contributor in any way to the negative experience? You also said that you got the price you wanted and bought the car from them, so I'm just not sure why you feel so angry/vindictive. If you really wanted to punish the dealer, you shouldn't have given them your money.

There is no excuse for a bad sales experience, but then just move on and buy from someone else.
Old 02-06-17, 05:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I think you are missing the point. The survey may be the only serious way I can spank a dealer who treated me poorly. I am just askin how to quantify that.
Skip the survey and give an online review for all to read.
Old 02-06-17, 05:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Skip the survey and give an online review for all to read.
I agree. This whole "anything less than a 10 is a fail" etc. is B.S. IMO, and helps no one.
Old 02-06-17, 06:41 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar
Your other thread/posts suggest that a new GM at your dealer was the problem - you don't even mention the salesperson at all, so was the salesperson even a contributor in any way to the negative experience? You also said that you got the price you wanted and bought the car from them, so I'm just not sure why you feel so angry/vindictive. If you really wanted to punish the dealer, you shouldn't have given them your money.

There is no excuse for a bad sales experience, but then just move on and buy from someone else.

All good points so I'll elaborate. The salesman, who has been there for 35 years and sold me many cars, was caught in the middle. That being said, he did not go to bat for me, a longtime customer and even gave me misleading information, stating that non-NAV RX vehicles pretty much did not exist. (I quickly found 3 in his own inventory, one of which I bought.) So while he wasn't the MAIN problem, he was PART of the problem. More importantly, I trusted him, as my longtime contact, to at least get me a fair deal. I did not do enough homework (shame on me) and ended up offering more than I should have (again, shame on me). But I feel abused because I trusted this dealership TO BE FAIR, which they always have been before this new sales manager and before LEXUS PLUS baloney "fixed" pricing. So after the fact, I am feeling taken advantage of and, at the very least, can't feel good about giving the survey all top marks so the salesman gets his bone.

As to posting a negative "online review", where should I do that for the most effectiveness? YELP?
Old 02-06-17, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would post to Yelp, and to DealerRater.com.

Gotta put yourself in the salesman's position, new sales manager, LexusPlus pricing, new way of doing business. Its hard to go to bat for somebody when you fear your own place in a new setup. As for him being there 35 years, last time I checked Lexus itself was only 27 years old...is this a multi-brand dealer?

Unfortunately this is what I was worried about with this "LexusPlus" thing.
Old 02-06-17, 07:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would post to Yelp, and to DealerRater.com.

Gotta put yourself in the salesman's position, new sales manager, LexusPlus pricing, new way of doing business. Its hard to go to bat for somebody when you fear your own place in a new setup. As for him being there 35 years, last time I checked Lexus itself was only 27 years old...is this a multi-brand dealer?

Unfortunately this is what I was worried about with this "LexusPlus" thing.
Correct on both points. This owner is the son of a (now deceased) Cadillac dealership owner (showroom across the street from Lexus) that started in 1938. So my salesman has been with them since before Lexus. And I do sort of get it. What happens if I just ignore the survey? Does the salesman get less than if I do the survey and give all top marks? It sounds like the survey is either one of two things: 1. It's a way to punish a salesperson or not. 2. It's a way to punish, reward or do nothing to a salesperson. Which is it?
Old 02-06-17, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you ignore the survey the salesman gets no benefit and no demerit. Personally thats what I would do, and unfortunately even if you give him top marks but hit them on other areas not relating to him, he will suffer.

Having worked in sales organizations for my entire life, unless I am personally affronted by the salesman him or herself I just don't respond to the survey if I'm not delighted with the service.
Old 02-06-17, 07:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Thanks for that information. Yes, I'll probably do that. I'm still pissed that he lied...er...mislead me. But I don't have it in me to take away part of his pay. I need to let this go, enjoy my new car and move on. But I know that my prior trust in this dealership for a FAIR (but never "best") deal is kaput for the next time.
Old 02-06-17, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, thats my opinion too. I never want to screw with somebody's ability to provide for their family, unless I have really been wronged by that person specifically. Just remember for next time.

Quick Reply: Lexus Post Sale Survey