Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Soul EV (Electric) Test-Drive from D.C. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Kia Soul EV (Electric) Test-Drive from D.C. Auto Show

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2017

At the D.C. Auto Show this year, among many other vehicles, I looked at the Kia Niro out on the display floor. The Niro, a gas/electric hybrid, will basically compete with the Toyota Prius, Ford C-Max, and other fairly small hybrids. But Kia did not have a Niro available for its outdoor test-drive circuit there. So, I chose the Soul EV all-electric version instead, as I had sampled a number of gas-engine Souls over the years (my brother had one for five years, and loved it). So, the usual registration/sign-up on the I-pad, a puff on the Breathalyzer to check for alcohol (redundant for me, as I'm a teetotaller and don't drink), a quick tour of the exterior and cargo area by a Kia rep (like I really needed it LOL), hop into the driver's seat with a rep, buckle up, scan the controls to get familiarized, get adjusted, and go. Though it was the usual Mickey-Mouse test-drive around the central city streets near the Convention Center (certainly not enough for an MM Review), I'll share my reaction for any of you who are interested...and, I admit, it was a quite pleasant one.

The EV version of the Kia Soul lists for 32K to start, roughly twice (yes, twice) what a base-model gas-engined version does, at 16K. But (as I found out even during the brief test-drive), there is a reason for that. It buys an advanced lithium-ion battery pack (not as advanced as the one in the Tesla Model S, but it doesn't cost 100K like a Model S, either), more comfortable and softly-padded seats than in other Souls I'm sampled, a super-slick, simple-to-use shifter), large, well-lit digital and barograph gauges (I'm generally not a fan of digital gauges, but these are well-done), an advanced permanent-magnet electric motor with 109 HP and 210 ft-lbs. of torque (remember, electric motors produce max torque at very low RPMs), and (apparently) more money and attention spend at the plant on refinement and fit/finish than other, cheaper, gas-engine versions. And, of course, that 30-40K selling price will be lowered somewhat by Federal and any applicable state or local tax-credits....though you won't actually get the money back (or save it) until the next time you do your taxes. You may (?) also get HOV priviledges on rush-hour freeways (where applicable) to save time and traffic-congestion.

Not only does the EV version feel different when you first get in and buckle up, but, on the road, the drivetrain is also quite different from gas-engined versions. The electric motor is super-quiet, the transmission (without conventional shifts) is virtually imperceptible. Like the gas-engine versions, it has noticeably better ride quality and noise-control over city-state bumps then the early versions like my brother had (I first noticed the difference with the face-lift and partial-redesign of the gas-engined versions a few years ago). Inside, that 32K also seems to buy a more comfortable, better-trimmed interior and, as I mentioned above, slicker, easier-to-use controls. So, yes, more money than the gas models....for a substantially nicer vehicle.......assuming, of course, you don't drive long distances at a stretch, and have regular access to 110V or 220V electric outlets for charging (some places may have the new 400V chargers that will do the job in 20-30 minutes).

Last, instead of the usual Kia caps, phone-charging cords, key-chains, or other small gifts, this year Kia gave out $10 cards for ordering things off of Amazon. I'll give it to my brother, as I usually don't order things on-line, except for rewards gift-cards from my bank when I get enough points.

And, as Always..........Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-17 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 09:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

thanks. aside, you say your brother no longer has a soul? (vehicle that is, lol) what does he have now?
Old 02-04-17, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks. aside, you say your brother no longer has a soul? (vehicle that is, lol) what does he have now?
A Sportage.

His company recently moved from just a couple of miles from his house (which was generally an easy commute, though the Soul didn't do very well in snow, despite its FWD set-up) to a new location about 15 or so miles further out in the NoVA suburbs. It was impractical for him to move, so he decided to go with a new AWD vehicle. He cannot telecommute because of the nature of his job, and sometimes has to drive through at least some snow (not blizzards). The local Kia shop gives excellent deals and treats their customers like kings, particularly in the service department, perhaps as a result of that particular Volvo/Kia franchise being owned by his local Congressman who represents that district.....gotta keep that image up LOL. Since Kia doesn't (yet) do an AWD Soul, despite many customer-requests for one, he got a new Sportage LX. He also spends a lot more time on the road now, and he likes the bigger, heavier, more solid feel of the Sportage....though a new Metro subway station is slated to open right next to his new building soon. Might be able to take the subway before too long....we'll see.

I'm very impressed with the Sportage overall, BTW. Though it lacks some of the refinement and nice road manners of the larger, more expensive Kia Sorento, IMO the Sportage is more solidly-built...especially the solid "thud" door-closings and the solid, durable (if somewhat dull to look at) interior trim and hardware. Some of that is also reflected in an excellent reliability rating from CR. (it was also able to easily accommodate me and my stiff-braced right leg, healing and covering after last summer's knee surgery, in the back seat without significant problems, though I had to sit sideways with my leg straight out and forgo the seat belt, technically against state law).

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 01:33 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think that the Kia Niro is on sale yet. There are no specifications for the Niro on any websites.
Old 02-04-17, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
There are no specifications for the Niro on any websites.
Have you looked at Kia's own U.S. website? The specs are right there....out in the open.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/niro/2017/features

You're correct, though, that Kia has not (yet) put any Niro specs on its Canadian website.

I don't think that the Kia Niro is on sale yet.
There are a few of coming into D.C.-area dealerships as I speak. The dealership my brother bought his Soul and Sportage from has a Niro Touring model for sale.

At the D.C. show, A Niro was out on the floor, unlocked....which is usually not the case if a vehicle has not been released for public sale.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-17 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-04-17, 05:40 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The specs must have just gone up. I last time I checked -- a few days ago -- nothing was up.