Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Physics itself also says that, on a slippery surface, more weight on a tire, all else equal, means more traction.
LOL, no. The issue is one of inertia as Och said. It takes a much larger force to halt the inertia of a heavier object, and when traction is an issue the simple weight of the vehicle on the ground is not enough to stop that inertia.
Old 02-22-17, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, no. The issue is one of inertia as Och said. It takes a much larger force to halt the inertia of a heavier object, and when traction is an issue the simple weight of the vehicle on the ground is not enough to stop that inertia.
Exactly, and it only gets worse with slippery or snowy roads. Try stopping a loaded 18 wheeler on ice - no matter how hard the weight is pushing on those tires, the traction is still non existent.
Old 02-22-17, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Exactly, and it only gets worse with slippery or snowy roads. Try stopping a loaded 18 wheeler on ice - no matter how hard the weight is pushing on those tires, the traction is still non existent.
Probably not the best comparison, as many 18-wheelers use tire-chains (in jurisdictions that allow them) when conditions get bad.

Also, where the weight is centered (and weight-transfer) makes as much, if not more difference, than the total weight itself. That's why (as I explained above) rear-engine cars, particularly Porsches, have such short braking distances.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-17 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 09:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Physics itself also says that, on a slippery surface, more weight on a tire, all else equal, means more traction.

Weight-transfer under heavy braking loads also comes into play. That is one reason why rear-engined Porsches have such short stopping distances. The forward weight-transfer under braking places the maximum weight near the center of the car, making all four tires do roughly an equal share of the braking load. In a FWD car, the rear wheels do very little of the braking.....and can fishtail easily on a slick surface if the brake-proportioning valve is not set up correctly.
Be very careful.
This notion that increase in weight increases the tire grip is very commonly applied to the very heavy Tesla Model S to justify the weight of its battery pack.
Unfortunately, while weight is inversely proportional to braking force and deceleration, the increase in weight is not exactly proportional to increase in coefficient of friction, nor exactly proportional to braking grip.
As the weight increases, the coefficient of friction and the braking force will increase to a certain extent, and beyond a certain limit [threshold], increases in weight will actually decrease the coefficient of friction, thereby decreasing the braking grip.
If you ask me why, the answer has to do with something about excess weight causing the tires to behave in a "liquid-like" fashion, acting like a lubricant, to actually decrease the grip of the tires.
That's why all the excess weight of the Tesla Model S doesn't really work, otherwise Elon Musk would build the Model S out of conventional steel, to increase the weight of his Model S, to achieve even more grip, yet save so much more production costs compared to his aluminium spaceframe.

Notice how the co-efficient of friction decreases with the increase in load below?
Has something to do with the surface "liquefying" to decrease the friction.
Thus AWD not only helps acceleration, it also helps deceleration with engine braking.
AWD also helps with more rear weight distribution to help counter nose dive, and front weight transfer.

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-22-17 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sorry Mike, but you don't know what you're talking about here...
Old 02-24-17, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sorry Mike, but you don't know what you're talking about here...
Here's a good article on the subject. It clearly explains what I was saying about the more of the vehicle's weight (within limits) in the rear, the better-balanced and more even the braking will be. That's why the Porsche 911 excels in short braking distances.....despite its weight.

http://automotivethinker.com/chassis...s-not-optimal/
Old 02-24-17, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on the thread topic (Lexus moving towards SUVs), there's currently a good offer on the NX200t....a 3-year, $329 per month lease with $3399 down. That price is good on both FWD and AWD versions......which, IMO, makes the AWD version a better bargain. I'm generally not a fan of the NX (on a review, I found the NX's road manners and refinement notably lacking in relation to the larger RX, even considering the difference in price). But the NX, of course, is a way to get one's foot in the door as a Lexus owner, with Lexus reliability and that noted customer service, and its AWD will come in handy on slippery roads.

http://www.lexus.com/models/NX/offers
Old 02-25-17, 04:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Here's a good article on the subject. It clearly explains what I was saying about the more of the vehicle's weight (within limits) in the rear, the better-balanced and more even the braking will be. That's why the Porsche 911 excels in short braking distances.....despite its weight.

http://automotivethinker.com/chassis...s-not-optimal/
That's talking about weight DISTRIBUTION. You were talking about weight, full stop. The 911 has great breaking in part because of where it puts the weight it does have (ie, doesn't overweight the front end). But adding an extra 1000 lbs to the car won't make it stop better. And that's what you were saying before.

Which is still nonsense. All else is not equal in the 911 example. There is LESS weight on the front tires. If the above assertion was true, you could shorten a mustang's stopping distance significantly by throwing 300lbs of sand in the trunk. And that's just not the case. If you start with the preface of "all else being equal", the rest of the sentence has to say "braking distance lengthens by the square of the increase in weight"
Old 02-25-17, 06:48 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
There isn't much difference between modern RWD vs FWD in snow provided they both equipped with similar set of tires. Of course with similar tires AWD will fare even better, except when it comes to braking - the added weight of AWD can actually make things worse.

That being said, I've never had a problem here in NE with RWD + snow tires, and what can possibly be more fun than doing some donuts in snow with RWD car?
+1 for snow tire and rear or all wheel drive. Unstoppable in the snow (except when braking) and extends the life of your 2/3 season performance tires.
Old 02-25-17, 06:51 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD vehicles are easier to get going from a stop in the snow, but actually can be far more dangerous to steer because your directional wheels and power wheels are the same. When you have a loss of steering traction, you have a loss of throttle traction and vice versa.

RWD with snow tires is actually much safer to drive in the snow.

Amd weight is is always the enemy of braking. Physics is physics.
Agree. My worst snow crash was a front wheel drive vehicle driving slowly, trying to turn, but the car didn't agree with me and continued going straight.....into the back of a parked truck.
Old 02-25-17, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e325rkh
Agree. My worst snow crash was a front wheel drive vehicle driving slowly, trying to turn, but the car didn't agree with me and continued going straight.....into the back of a parked truck.
What kind of condition were the front tires in? In general, the balder they are, the more likely they are to lose traction, although that is more the case in water than in snow or ice.
Old 02-25-17, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=geko29;9782836]That's talking about weight DISTRIBUTION. You were talking about weight, full stop. The 911 has great breaking in part because of where it puts the weight it does have (ie, doesn't overweight the front end). But adding an extra 1000 lbs to the car won't make it stop better. And that's what you were saying before.[quote]

I was talking about both, to some extent. And, BTW, since you bring up the subject of adding weight in the trunk, pickup drivers routinely do that in the snow on RWD models for better traction. If noting else, sometimes they will just take a snow shovel and load the bed up with snow. That's an old trick that dates back many years...and it works.
Old 02-25-17, 07:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was talking about both, to some extent. And, BTW, since you bring up the subject of adding weight in the trunk, pickup drivers routinely do that in the snow on RWD models for better traction. If noting else, sometimes they will just take a snow shovel and load the bed up with snow. That's an old trick that dates back many years...and it works.
When you load truck bed with weight, it help with traction to get the vehicle moving and make it less likely to fishtail, but it can actually compromise braking.
Old 02-25-17, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No sense arguing on and on about weight. We've all had our say. I'm done on that subject. We've gotten off topic....Lexus sedans vs. SUVs.

Anyhow, I posted what I did about the NX lease-offers because they looked pretty attractive to those who might be interested in one. Not my cup of tea (the NX is not refined enough for my tastes).....but it's a good way for an aspiring Lexus owner to get his or her foot through the door.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-17 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e325rkh
People don't realize the inherent dangers associated with FWD powertrains when it comes to handling dynamics in snow and Ice, or even in rain. The tendency for FWD vehicles to easily understeer as you described is an issue because you have completely lost control of the vehicle at that point, you have no ability to steer the car with the throttle, or to provide directional input with the steering wheel. In a RWD car you have the ability to control the car from both ends.

If you take some advanced driving training courses they teach this, in the hands of somebody with an even rudimentary understanding of how to control a vehicle in a skid, a RWD car is clearly safer to control.

Big issue with RWD in the snow is getting moving, but modern traction aids help a lot with that, and winter tires help a ton. So given the choice, I would take a RWD car with winter tires over a FWD car with or without winter tires in the snow any day of the week. I might even take a RWD car with all seasons and good traction control.

What it comes down to, is that FWD is just not a superior drivetrain setup in any situation other than 1. Being less expensive to design and produce, 2. Saving space in the cabin of the vehicle. I'll tolerate it in my van because I do benefit from the interior space packaging, but having the experience I have and the premium cars I've had, I just don't want anything to do with it in most vehicles I would purchase.

I've used the analogy before...its like a Quartz vs Automatic movement in a watch. The Quartz is fine, but any truly premium or luxury watch will be Automatic movement, and anybody who knows and understands watches is going to look down on a Quartz movement. My watch is a quartz movement...but I'm not a watch enthusiast. I AM a car enthusiast, and I understand the benefits of a proper longitudinal RWD setup, and thats what I want.

What kind of condition were the front tires in? In general, the balder they are, the more likely they are to lose traction, although that is more the case in water than in snow or ice.
?!?!. Bald tires hurt traction in snow and ice just as much as they hurt traction in rain!

Originally Posted by geko29
That's talking about weight DISTRIBUTION. You were talking about weight, full stop. The 911 has great breaking in part because of where it puts the weight it does have (ie, doesn't overweight the front end). But adding an extra 1000 lbs to the car won't make it stop better. And that's what you were saying before.
You know, its okay to admit that you aren't correct about something. Adding weight does not help braking, thats what you said and as multiple people have shown you, that statement is just plain not correct.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-25-17 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs