Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 12:41 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It’s probably a good move business wise. Almost everyone in my community has a CUV or SUV. As for me … NEVER… I hate all small minivans. Ha ha I could never see myself buying one. Plus every company want their SUV to be special. Plus they are getting uglier and uglier. My neighbor just purchase the new RX350. Look like a transformer is sleeping in the drive way.
Old 02-21-17, 02:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
It’s probably a good move business wise. Almost everyone in my community has a CUV or SUV. As for me … NEVER… I hate all small minivans. Ha ha I could never see myself buying one. Plus every company want their SUV to be special. Plus they are getting uglier and uglier. My neighbor just purchase the new RX350. Look like a transformer is sleeping in the drive way.
I don't mind the look of the new RX.
As long as it rides smoothly and quietly, and the previous RX's have not ridden smoothly and quietly enough compared to a sedan for me.
One of the problems is the big heavy wheel/tire combo and the heavy unsprung weight that throws more momentum onto the body over every bump.
Plus more wind, and other noise than a sedan.
I hope the new RX has this area licked up.
Old 02-22-17, 05:05 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I don't mind the look of the new RX.
As long as it rides smoothly and quietly, and the previous RX's have not ridden smoothly and quietly enough compared to a sedan for me.
One of the problems is the big heavy wheel/tire combo and the heavy unsprung weight that throws more momentum onto the body over every bump.
Plus more wind, and other noise than a sedan.
I hope the new RX has this area licked up.
The new RX has larger wheels 18+ or larger wheels and that makes for a harder stiffer ride but very composed compared to the previous rx. Wind, engine and road noise has been improved with better insulation materials and dual pane windows compared to the old model which did worst in all catergories. Just because the new RX has larger wheels and wider tires "especially RX Fsport" does not mean it handles the curves on a mountain road any better than the previous model.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 02-22-17 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 05:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had a 17 RX loaner recently. I found it to be much quieter than my 13 RX I used to have. My RX had 18"s and dual pane windows, but the new RX on 20"s was quieter and handled better. Loved our RX, though. Was sad to part with it.
Old 02-22-17, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah the 4RX rides better and is quieter than the previous RX I agree. Sadly styling and the transverse layout would keep me out of one.
Old 02-22-17, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah the 4RX rides better and is quieter than the previous RX I agree. Sadly styling and the transverse layout would keep me out of one.
Although admittedly it's your wife's vehicle more so than yours, a transverse layout did not keep you from having a Sedona in the family. Or, are you simply saying that one is enough?
Old 02-22-17, 06:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The transverse layout doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I'm still on the fence with the RX styling.
Old 02-22-17, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The transverse layout doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I'm still on the fence with the RX styling.
Admittedly, the F-sport looks worlds better.
Old 02-22-17, 07:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Admittedly, the F-sport looks worlds better.
Indeed. I find that the new RX is a bit more dependent on package and color. Done up in an F Sport package and the right color and I generally like them.
Old 02-22-17, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Indeed. I find that the new RX is a bit more dependent on package and color. Done up in an F Sport package and the right color and I generally like them.
Full on black with smoked headlamps and black rims looks stealthy and wicked. If I'm to get a non f-sport, that's the color scheme I would go for. White in F-sport guise.
Old 02-22-17, 07:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

A transverse FWD set up is fine. There are pros and cons to both.
Old 02-22-17, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although admittedly it's your wife's vehicle more so than yours, a transverse layout did not keep you from having a Sedona in the family. Or, are you simply saying that one is enough?
The Sedona is a family travel appliance, its not a vehicle I purchased because of any enthusiast leanings. The transverse layout of the Sedona doesn't matter to me at all, it does not matter to me as a vehicle at all...its simply a tool. I drive it when I have to, and never have any desire to drive it.

If I were going to spend $50,000+ on a luxury crossover/SUV for myself or for my household, that would be a vehicle that would be purchased as a vehicle I would want and would enjoy, THAT vehicle I would care about it being a proper premium platform and a proper longitudinal engine layout. Our Jeep as an example was a vehicle I was passionate about and bought because I wanted it.

If I were buying a crossover for me to drive, I wouldn't even consider an RX, I would look to something that is IMHO properly premium such as an X5, Range Rover, Q7/Q5, so on and so forth. If I were looking for a 3 row crossover that would be doing a lot of family hauling, I might relax my dislike for the transverse layout somewhat because that packaging does get more interior room. That wouldn't be a vehicle I would be the primary driver of.

Does that make sense? In short, Lexus does not have any SUV i would consider purchasing and driving myself, except perhaps the LX. If Lexus were to offer a 2 or 3 row CUV/SUV on the GS or the new LS/LC platform that would be something I would consider.
Old 02-22-17, 11:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 02-22-17, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

And the point is?
Old 02-22-17, 01:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion