Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2017 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 01:53 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow average BMW incentive is $6000 per unit, they are doing $2000 over the next highest incentives, Jesus....they are really desperate, why? They were already number 3 in 2016 and Audi is still far behind, but yes I see how it would be humiliating if they fell behind Lexus by a huge number.

Mercedes is really pulling ahead, 25k sales Jan 2017 vs 15k for Lexus. Lexus is off to a really bad start, how can they be so low on supply for their best market?

But I guess maybe they don't care bout numbers for 2017 especially since LS and LC are coming out, both are not volume units.
Old 02-02-17, 06:12 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Luxury

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...IL01/302019998

LUXURY: Mercedes jumps out to big early lead over BMW, Lexus

February 1, 2017 @ 4:00 pm
Jamie Butters
Bloomberg

Shares

Photo credit: BloombergSend us a Letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.Mercedes-Benz jumped out to an early lead in the race for U.S. luxury auto sales supremacy, posting a record January after winning the crown last year for the 1st time since 2013.

Mercedes sold 25,527 cars and light trucks in the U.S. last month, a 3.5 percent increase from a year earlier, according to a statement. Following a year in which premium car models lost market share to light trucks, the brand scored significant gains with sedans last month, as the C-class jumped 27 percent and E-class surged 49 percent.

“This is the strong start we look for following a record year,” said Dietmar Exler, CEO of the Atlanta-based U.S. unit. The German automaker also took the global sales title from BMW last year.

Mercedes-Benz's rivals weren’t as fortunate last month. BMW increased sales just 0.1 percent to 18,109, while Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus plunged 26 percent to 15,572. The results exclude BMW’s Mini cars and Daimler’s work trucks and Smart cars, because they aren’t luxury vehicles.

Volkswagen AG’s Audi continues to close the gap against the “big 3” atop the U.S. luxury market. The brand reported an 11 percent sales gain to 13,201 vehicles, powered by more than 30 percent increases for the A4 car models and Q5 and Q3 crossovers.

Mercedes and its independent retailers had constructive dialogue about how to build on last year’s results, Exler said Saturday at the National Automobile Dealers Association meeting in New Orleans.

“We challenge each other with the simple idea: How can we do better?” he said in an interview. “Nothing else really matters. That is working very, very well.”
Old 02-02-17, 09:03 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Mercedes is really pulling ahead, 25k sales Jan 2017 vs 15k for Lexus. Lexus is off to a really bad start, how can they be so low on supply for their best market?

But I guess maybe they don't care bout numbers for 2017 especially since LS and LC are coming out, both are not volume units.
Actually, Mercedes GLC inventory is very low, you cannot negotiate on the price too much, and all GLC are sold very quickly. I guess Mercedes's number can be even higher if it can produce more AMG GLC43 / GLC300.
Old 02-02-17, 10:30 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Top 10

https://www.cars.com/articles/top-10...1420693297772/

Top 10 Best-Selling Cars: January 2017

By Kelsey Mays

February 1, 2017
CARS.COM — The new year certainly didn't begin with a bang. With the top seven automakers reporting, new-car sales dipped 3.5 percent in January. 1 segment drove much of the decline: mid-size family cars, which shoppers dumped like last year's leftovers. The class tumbled 20.9 percent versus an also-weak January 2016 as popular models like the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Ford Fusion didn't even make the top 10.

Related: Traffic Deaths Spike, Safety Legislation Stalls

In fact, just one family car did: the Toyota Camry, and it was No. 10 at that. We analyzed 63 months of past sales data, and Toyota's popular sedan has never fallen once to No. 10. In fact, it's been a top-5 seller for all but 5 of those months. But the No. 10 finish has been a few months coming: From August to December 2016, the Camry slipped from the top-5 sales ranking 4 out of 5 times as compact SUVs flooded the highest ranks instead.

Flood they still did. Shoppers snapped up the Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue, up 52.5 percent and 45.5 percent respectively, to land the pair in the top non-pickup-truck slots for the 2nd month in a row.

Pickups had a strong month. With new-home construction finishing 2016 at a solid pace, shoppers kept full-size models easily atop the list in January, with the Ford F-Series up 12.5 percent to remain the month's best-selling model by a big margin. F-Series sales helped lift full-size pickups to a 4.1 percent gain for the month, with mid-size pickups up 2.5 percent.

The industry's overall decline was expected, but analysts are hardly panicking. Government wage indexes showed the smallest quarterly increase since mid-2015, but the post-election stock market has generally benefited investors and consumer confidence remains strong. Unemployment is still low, too.

2 analysts expressed measured optimism at January's auto sales.

Chris Hopson, a forecasting manager for IHS Markit, called the results "in-line with the year-ago level and a decent start to the new year" in a commentary today. And senior analyst Stephanie Brinley called the coming year a "healthy environment overall" despite an expected small decline.

Here are January's top 10 best-selling cars:image: https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock...5981095209.jpg

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/top-10...6uQ60ayKcpI.99

Old 02-02-17, 02:09 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why is toyota/lexus having trouble (or choosing limits?) with deliveries? Is it because they want the volume for other parts of the world? Supply chain issues? It almost feels like they're giving up on the u.s.
Lexus biggest nightmare is German's reliability improvement, if German auto can show their reliability improved, a lots customers will buy their cars.

Almost all my friends including me (Chinese people) bought Audi/Mercedes recently, they always buy Lexus before.
Old 02-02-17, 02:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Wow average BMW incentive is $6000 per unit, they are doing $2000 over the next highest incentives, Jesus....they are really desperate, why? They were already number 3 in 2016 and Audi is still far behind, but yes I see how it would be humiliating if they fell behind Lexus by a huge number.

are there solid proofs that lexus has supply issue? if so on what models? coz' i know on certain models lexus has way too many inventory, and overall i see ok inventory across models.

lexus needs to react quick, they definitely had a bad month and a lot to catch up
Old 02-02-17, 02:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
are there solid proofs that lexus has supply issue? if so on what models? coz' i know on certain models lexus has way too many inventory, and overall i see ok inventory across models.

lexus needs to react quick, they definitely had a bad month and a lot to catch up
Just going by what the GM said but it could just be some PR fluff but it doesn't really make sense that Lexus sales dropped so badly, low supply is a reasonable explanation especially since the Dec. 2016 sales were so great. I don't know what kind of access to Lexus' national inventory you have but local SoCal dealers may not be representative of inventory across the country. We just don't know and I guess we'll never know unless someone with any real knowledge can help us understand what happened. But in the end, they off indeed off to a bad start.

I wonder what kind of deals can be gotten on the 4GS, my goodness 422 units sold... I personally think Lexus' lack of customization is harming them too.
Old 02-02-17, 04:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Only 422 GS
I saw that but it really didn't sink in until now. That's an impressively low number.
Old 02-02-17, 05:48 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

GS was not competitive when released and has been further exposed as the other market offerings have been revised (Hello, where is the TT V6 Lexus)

I am not sure what baked the IS numbers, maybe the poor rear seat room and new C class is doing the job

I have not been a fan of the RC coupe plus no vert in the mix to go against the Germans and I think Japanese car buying coupe folks are migrating to the Q60
Old 02-03-17, 06:55 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supply issues or not, that's a huge drop for Lexus. We'll find out if January was an abnormality relatively soon.

Also wow at Mercedes - they are on fire. Huge boost for Infiniti too - perhaps this is the year they surpass Acura in sales in the US.
Old 02-03-17, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i was shocked to see q50 sales more than IS and audi q5 sales more than NX (and of course audi has q3 and q7 as well)

as for the q60, i tell ya that is one sweet car.
Old 02-03-17, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

about lexus product availability, perhaps it's a regional thing based on posts i've seen on CL about availability in NE vs California, vs. Florida, etc.
i think lexus very strictly controls availability and doesn't want dealers with too much inventory on their lots but that 'focus' tends to work best when products are in huge demand (to make sure particular models or variants that are slower selling don't get stuck on dealer lots). but with a SUPER competitive market, very tight availability can work hugely against you, because potential customers visiting dealers just don't find what they might buy so they go elsewhere. a difficult balance to be sure. it seems to me a luxury dealership should have at least one of every model and variant in stock though, so as not to waste a customer's time. luxury buyers want their time respected probably more than anything...
Old 02-03-17, 09:03 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Lexus biggest nightmare is German's reliability improvement, if German auto can show their reliability improved, a lots customers will buy their cars.

Almost all my friends including me (Chinese people) bought Audi/Mercedes recently, they always buy Lexus before.
We are already living in Lexus's nightmare. Now add that MB has better style, better performance, and a much larger lineup.
Old 02-03-17, 11:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

BMW sales took a hit due to new 5series just hitting dealers now.
The old model had no inventory left in Jan.

Lexus - not sure wth happened.
will be sad day when GS is discontinued....
Old 02-03-17, 01:28 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is no supply issue, this is a result of pushing December unrealistic sales to grab than 2nd place in total sales. December ate through January pretty much

Quick Reply: January 2017 Sales