Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen becomes the world's biggest selling automaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 03:05 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Volkswagen becomes the world's biggest selling automaker

Volkswagen's huge emissions scandal is still unfolding, but it hasn't stopped the German company from dethroning Toyota as the world's biggest selling automaker.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/30/news...inkId=33945880
Old 01-30-17, 03:33 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Probably inflated the numbers. lol
Old 01-30-17, 03:52 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

vw is gonna need all that revenue
Old 01-30-17, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I think that the large settlements themselves that VW paid (and is still paying out) to diesel-owners actually helped spur new sales. Not all car-owners affected by the scandal actually wanted to dump VW or switch to another company......for whatever reason, they may still like VW products. With that settlement check in their hands, there's an instant down-payment (or lease payment) on a new VW.
Old 01-30-17, 05:45 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dumped them all in China...that's why.
Old 01-30-17, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
They dumped them all in China...that's why.
China doesn't allow dumping by other countries. In fact, the Chinese are usually the ones that end up doing the dumping themselves.
Old 01-30-17, 07:09 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that the large settlements themselves that VW paid (and is still paying out) to diesel-owners actually helped spur new sales. Not all car-owners affected by the scandal actually wanted to dump VW or switch to another company......for whatever reason, they may still like VW products. With that settlement check in their hands, there's an instant down-payment (or lease payment) on a new VW.
Sales were down in the U.S. and other countries didn't receive buybacks like we did.
Old 01-30-17, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Sales were down in the U.S. and other countries didn't receive buybacks like we did.
True, but, like with Buick and Cadillac, China is one of VW's most lucrative markets.
Old 01-30-17, 09:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Most VW owners I spoke to were feeling like they robbed a bank with the deal offered to them. They all planned on keeping their polluting cars and collecting the big cash payout. So not sure if that weighed in on sales or not. Either way, I'm a bit surprised. This kind of sends a signal that maybe people don't care as much about reliability, but more about styling and that German car feel. VW also had some wild discounts in the last few months. Hard to say.
Old 01-30-17, 10:36 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Most VW owners I spoke to were feeling like they robbed a bank with the deal offered to them. They all planned on keeping their polluting cars and collecting the big cash payout. So not sure if that weighed in on sales or not. Either way, I'm a bit surprised. This kind of sends a signal that maybe people don't care as much about reliability, but more about styling and that German car feel. VW also had some wild discounts in the last few months. Hard to say.
Hard to say...from what I know, most VW owners aren't scraping by. Most are well off and obviously can afford the repairs (or just dump it and go to Honda/Toyota). While I don't think VW has the loyalty that Toyota has, for some of the owners, no other manufacturer offers them a diesel turbocharged wagon (some with stick) comparable to their Golf or Jetta. And yeah, a lot of them think a Toyota or Honda is too mainstream for them. To each their own!
Old 01-30-17, 10:51 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
China doesn't allow dumping by other countries. In fact, the Chinese are usually the ones that end up doing the dumping themselves.
Dumping is an exaggeration I know, I don't think your sense of humor caught on...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...rown/97273216/
Only VW’s commanding presence in the fast-growing Chinese market helped the Masters of Wolfsburg maintain global sales momentum in 2016, even as the pace flagged in Germany and most of North America. In the critical United States? VW brand sales slipped 7.3 percent last year, according to Autodata Corp.

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 01-30-17 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 12:29 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They must be real popular in China, cause VW doesn't sell jack in my neck of the woods. Kia, Hyundia, even Mazda seems to be more popular around here than VW cars.
Old 01-31-17, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This kind of sends a signal that maybe people don't care as much about reliability, but more about styling and that German car feel.
the scandal had nothing to do with reliability of course, but reminds me of the 'tragedy of the commons' again... people go "yay, i support efforts to stop global warming. wait, and give up my vw because of a scandal, no way! or take an awesome deal on another one? heck yeah!"

Originally Posted by Aron9000
They must be real popular in China, cause VW doesn't sell jack in my neck of the woods. Kia, Hyundia, even Mazda seems to be more popular around here than VW cars.
we must all realize the u.s. is becoming a smaller and smaller market globally.
Old 01-31-17, 07:10 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Consistent with MM's point, friends of ours got a payout for their Passat diesel and traded it for a Q5 with a gasoline engine
Old 01-31-17, 07:19 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the scandal had nothing to do with reliability of course, but reminds me of the 'tragedy of the commons' again... people go "yay, i support efforts to stop global warming. wait, and give up my vw because of a scandal, no way! or take an awesome deal on another one? heck yeah!"
Like I said earlier, that really wasn't even the case here as sales were still down in the U.S. They still bled a notable amount in a year where almost everyone else was up.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we must all realize the u.s. is becoming a smaller and smaller market globally.
The U.S. arm hasn't contributed a ton of money to VW's bottom line for a very long time. Even when they tried to maximize sales here with cars like the Passat and Jetta it didn't take off like it was supposed to.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen becomes the world's biggest selling automaker