Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Rumors for Supra MKV, S-FR (not FR-S) II small RWD concept and turbo Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 08:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yes the Tundra use a bigger version and the GX use the 4.6L as well, but its missing a lot of the tech from it. The 5.6 should be producing gobs more power and certainly better efficiency if it has the tech from the LS 4.6
Apparently, middle East Ls460 is the same engine as the Tundra 4.6 and GX. Those LS models are missing the same tech from the US version.
Old 02-17-17, 10:28 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think 3.0 liter V6 or, even better, a straight six twin turbo just makes more sense here. Maybe pushing 355 HP.

When it comes to engines, HP per liter is a benchmark I'm sure car engineers use heavily. While it might be easy to just turn up the boost, I'm sure there are longevity drawbacks to that, that's why I think we'll see the same 118 to 119 HP/liter of the 3.0 liter that is available in the 3.5 liter. Or heck, maybe even slightly less. I know Porsche really pushes these numbers up to 130 HP/liter or more, but I'm sure such engines are also very expensive to maintain.

I can see the 3.5 liter going to trucks and SUVs, probably de-tuned to 370-380 HP. The question being, what will it take to re-tune that thing to LS numbers now that the engines are turbos versus a de-tuned NA engine.

But Christ, I was dead wrong on the V8 LS, so who knows. What makes sense (at least to me) versus what is actually done seem mutually exclusive.

In regards to the eventual engine lineup for the GS and ES, I'm split on whether a de-tuned 3.5 liter or the yet to be released 3.0 liter will make it there. If I had to guess, those cars will eventually see the same engine found in the Supra, although I'm not sure if it will be factory tuned differently.

Toyota, like all car makers, seem to pushing heavily towards shared and universal platforms and engines. I don't see why Toyota/Lexus would be any different. They already share a lot and I would imagine this will only increase. This is all in the name of saving development and production costs.
Old 02-17-17, 10:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would prefer a Toyota engine. A 3L TTV6 at 400hp will be suffice, even though it will be close to what the LS offers power wise, at least they can claim the 3.5TT has waaay more torque or just up the tune in 3yrs.
I would actually love to see a 4.0 Inline 6 Single Turbo engine that would be a lot of fun.
Old 02-17-17, 10:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I also feel it would be sacrilege to put a BMW engine into a Supra which is a legendary name plate for Toyota!

Why cant they just build a modern 2Jz? Haha
Old 02-17-17, 11:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The Supra will not top 400hp or be anywhere near it since that's LS flagship level power let alone the 467hp V8. Have we not learned that Lexus does not like to let its lower level cars outpower their upper level cars? They could have easily squeezed closed to 600hp just by turbocharging the 5L V8 but they chose not to, to protect the LFA. I mean these are the same people that created the LFA V10 and turbocharging a V8 can't be a bigger challenge than creating that monster of a V10.
Incorrect. The GS400 had more hp and performance then the LS400/LS430 at the time and for a long time afterward, the IS-F had more power then the GS, SC, and LS at the time. They let the last Toyota Supra eclipse the power and performance of all Lexus models, they don't hold back power for Toyota sports cars over Lexus models, no reason they should start now. Supra turbo had 320hp, 0-60 4.6-5.3 sec, LS at the time had 260-290hp, 0-60 over 6 sec, the related SC coupe only had a 250-260hp V8 and was significantly slower then the Supra turbo. The IS300 had a less advanced/performance oriented engine as the Supra turbo. The buyers of mid level sports cars are very different from luxury car buyers, luxury car buyers want creamy smooth refined effortless power but not necessarily power that pins you in your seat, sports car buyers care mainly about power and performance even if it not as refined. It would be incredibly stupid and pointless for Toyota to hold back on power and performance on its top sports car just because of Lexus, Lexus is not pushing the power envelope even on its F cars. The Supra needs power, more so then what Lexus has to compete especially if it is going to be priced relatively high, the Corvette has 460hp standard and there are versions of the Camero with more power, Nissan GTR has more power and performance then any Infiniti.

Why would Lexus protect the LFA that has been out of production for years? That makes no sense especially when that V10 was not a monster or putting out that much power even when it debutted, many competitors V8's and turbo 6 were/are putting out more power then that V10. You honestly think Lexus will never surpass 550hp or 0-60 in 3.6-3.8 sec just to protect the dead LFA?

Last edited by UDel; 02-17-17 at 11:30 AM.