Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Can't Acura Make a Nice Grille?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 10:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Why Can't Acura Make a Nice Grille?

I don't get it. I know Honda/Acura designs by committee, but their grille issue is just getting out of control. I thought the TLX's mini-beak was just fine, but now they're putting this stupid grin on everything:

I mean seriously, look at this spy shot of the new TLX:

Old 01-24-17, 10:54 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well these are transitional cars in the matter of design. Consider this like 4GS that brought spindle to the game but it wasn't a spindle really. Same thing here, triangle is here to stay but brand new models will feature more sculpted and extruded beaks together with the triangle grill at the center of the fascia. Kind of hard to explain.
Old 01-24-17, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't get it. I know Honda/Acura designs by committee, but their grille issue is just getting out of control. I thought the TLX's mini-beak was just fine, but now they're putting this stupid grin on everything:

I mean seriously, look at this spy shot of the new TLX:

Doesn't look that bad to me. Kinda like a Buick which is reserved. I wonder what the RX looks like next to these pics?
Old 01-24-17, 11:56 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Different strokes; I think those grills look very sharp. When that MDX commercial came out that prominently showed the grill I was like "WHOA, nice update!"
Old 01-24-17, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Why can't Acura make a nice grille?
Can't say they didn't try LOL

Old 01-24-17, 12:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

For the record, I created this thread to identify everyone who has poor taste. (joking of course). Styling preference being completely subjective is a given.

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well these are transitional cars in the matter of design. Consider this like 4GS that brought spindle to the game but it wasn't a spindle really. Same thing here, triangle is here to stay but brand new models will feature more sculpted and extruded beaks together with the triangle grill at the center of the fascia. Kind of hard to explain.
This is a good point.
Old 01-24-17, 12:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO its ugly, not as bad as the "beak" when it first came out around 2008/2009 though. Something about the grill size and size of the emblem, it isn't proportional to the rest of the car. Also with that shape, you could take out the Acura emblem and put in the superman S and it would look right at home lol.

Something else I've noticed Honda doing lately that I can't stand is using that cheap black plastic crap all over their cars. Its that sort of weird, non-gloss flat black plastic egg crate that is impossible to keep clean and fades out after a few years. The new Acura grill, the lower portion of the front bumper of that SUV, the new Civic especially, all of them have that cheap black plastic crap sprinkled all over them to add stylistic "flair". It ends up looking cheap, like when GM thought it would be a good idea to put that plastic crap all over the Avalanche and Aztek.
Old 01-24-17, 12:27 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The refreshed grille is horrible, it looked better before. Acura should concentrate its efforts more on improving their interiors, which barely look and feel like an upgrade from your run-of-the-mill Honda. The Japanese, as whole, have traditionally been very poor with styling. They rarely ever get a car right. Sure, the recent Lexus' are eye catching and IMO the best looking crop of Lexus' to date, but they are still a bit over-styled and won't age well. Infiniti can't ever get a car right besides their G/Q series.

Why not just keep the beak but black it out?

Last edited by BrownPride; 01-24-17 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 01:47 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had 3 MDXs and swore I would not get a fourth (great vehicles, just wanted something different), but after seeing the 17 MDX I am rethinking. I like the "diamond pentagon grill", among other changes (captains chairs in second row, remote start, upgraded interior (real wood this time), and 20k less than other comparably equipped vehicles I like).

As an aside, I really wanted to like the RX, but after having two RX loaners when I took my wife's ES300h for service, I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. Looked at all the usual suspects, and have narrowed down to the new 2017 Land Rover Discovery out this summer, and the 2017 MDX.
Old 01-24-17, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think the MDX front end is a nice update. Can't say the "beak" really bothered me much, though. It's the side profile of the MDX that I don't care for.

As for the spy shot of the new TLX, I don't mind the grill itself, but something about the integration with the headlights seems off. Like they are too high or too small. Something about them just doesn't look good to me.
Old 01-24-17, 03:01 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The refreshed grille is horrible, it looked better before. Acura should concentrate its efforts more on improving their interiors, which barely look and feel like an upgrade from your run-of-the-mill Honda. The Japanese, as whole, have traditionally been very poor with styling. They rarely ever get a car right. Sure, the recent Lexus' are eye catching and IMO the best looking crop of Lexus' to date, but they are still a bit over-styled and won't age well. Infiniti can't ever get a car right besides their G/Q series.

Why not just keep the beak but black it out?
Agreed about their interiors, they feel a class below
Old 01-24-17, 03:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well everyone whined about the beak so they removed it....!! looks better than the horizontal spindle IMO.
Old 01-24-17, 03:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
well everyone whined about the beak so they removed it....!! looks better than the horizontal spindle IMO.
agreed. i think the new rendition of the beak looks better than most applications of the lexus spindle.
Old 01-24-17, 04:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
I think BrownPride's pic of the TLX demonstrates a nice compromise. This just has too much visual heft (imo) so this new grille, along with the head lights, makes it the facelifted TLX look like a demented jack-o-lantern:

As with most things, I'm sure I'll get used to it but I know it'll never look pretty. I just feel like Acura could do better but they choose not to.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-24-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 05:48 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I like it, but it reminds me of home plate, and that brings up mixed feelings. Lousy hitter when I was a kid, but a pretty good fielder.

Quick Reply: Why Can't Acura Make a Nice Grille?