Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 12:47 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style

5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style
By Bassem Girgis
Old 01-20-17, 01:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

The description of Atomic Silver is absolutely right... Gray, but in a very silver way! I always have trouble explaining it to friends, but that's partly why I like it.

Old 01-20-17, 04:14 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They forgot about Smokey Granite Mica
Old 01-20-17, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Blacks, both metallic and non-metallic, seem to be extremely popular on some luxury makes, yet not so much so with Lexus. A black car can shine like a mirror when it is freshly washed and detailed, but can be a PITA to try and keep it that way. It also heats up quite rapidly under a high sun angle.

One color Lexus offered some time ago (on the 1Gen IS300) I thought was quite classy, but we haven't seen since, is the Auburn Sky Metallic. It seemed to be a cross between reddish-orange and cinnamon.

And, of course, my all-time favorite is Amythist, a purplish-gray....especially in the lighter tones of it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-17 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 09:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, of course, my all-time favorite is Amythist, a purplish-gray....especially in the lighter tones of it.
Reminds me of back when we were shopping for our 95 Explorer. The Limited trim came in a color called "Iris" that we did consider, but we would up getting it in white.

I think a lot of colors are a function of the era they were from. Issue is with straying from colors that are "timeless" (white/black/grey and variations therein) is that when you keep a car a long time, eventually that color goes out of style and it looks garish. Consider avocado colored appliances, salmon colored porcelain bathrooms. Bright colored business suits. Orange carpeting. What looks "great" when its in, often quickly looks terrible when its out.

For instance, I like green cars. Had a very nice dark green Jeep Grand Cherokee. I also really liked Lexus' cypress pearl and the later light green colors. We also had a light green Prius where the only thing I liked was the color. But, if you look at a 8-10 year old LS460 in that green or in silver, the silver one looks newer and is worth more.
Old 01-20-17, 09:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
But, if you look at a 8-10 year old LS460 in that green or in silver, the silver one looks newer and is worth more.
Silver is popular for two reasons. First, it is easy to keep clean, and, second, its image-association with technology in a tech-crazed age. Except maybe for the superbly-done Atomic Silver from Lexus, and some similiarly-done Titanium shades from Dodge and Audi, which have a very pronounced metallic/metalflake effect, regular silver is about as exciting as the music in a dentist's office LOL.

Maybe my mind is just starting to go on details like this, but I just don't remember many green (or even greenish) factory-stock colors on very many mass production Lexus products (exotics like the LF-A may be an exception). The Lexus product-panners, for some reason, just never seemed to latch on to it very much.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 10:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus has had metallic greens throughout its history. It's really only recently they've abandoned green.

Silver has has been popular longer than the tech age. It's just a classy simple color, that's why it's so timeless. Not everybody wants an "exciting" color, especially on a luxury sedan. In fact, most people don't. Sales reflect that.
Old 01-20-17, 10:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus has had metallic greens throughout its history. It's really only recently they've abandoned green.
Greens seem to be most popular on hybrids. In fact, I can remember some manufacturers and some vehicles (particularly from Ford) that offered green only on hybrid versions of whose vehicles. You couldn't get that color with regular gas-engine versions.

As far as Lexus goes, like I said, I don't remember that many greens (maybe an occasional dark forest-green on the ES)......but I'll take your word for it. You have owned more Lexus products than me. I have only had done.....a bright yellow IS300.

Silver has has been popular longer than the tech age. It's just a classy simple color, that's why it's so timeless. Not everybody wants an "exciting" color, especially on a luxury sedan. In fact, most people don't. Sales reflect that.
Well, for that matter, the Tech Age itself is longer than many people remember. And, it's probably the second-simplest color to hide the dirt and keep clean........next to a light tan or beige, which is often the exact color of much of the dirt itself.
Old 01-21-17, 02:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

One of the reasons I'm holding onto my IS is the color- Glacier Frost Mica. After nine years, I regularly get people asking, "what is it?" Having a car I don't see often on the road psychologically helps me feel it's still fresh and not played out. Sadly, these interesting "three in one" colors seem to be a thing of the past with Lexus and Infiniti. In fact, other than Ultrasonic Blue, I'd say the IS color selection is one of the worst it's ever been. Just basic colors we've seen a million times already.
Old 01-21-17, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One of the reasons I'm holding onto my IS is the color- Glacier Frost Mica. After nine years, I regularly get people asking, "what is it?" Having a car I don't see often on the road psychologically helps me feel it's still fresh and not played out. Sadly, these interesting "three in one" colors seem to be a thing of the past with Lexus and Infiniti. In fact, other than Ultrasonic Blue, I'd say the IS color selection is one of the worst it's ever been. Just basic colors we've seen a million times already.
One of the problems with that type of paint job is that it is quite difficult for body shops to replicate accurately. The average body shop, no matter how good it is, usually does not have the extensive painting-facilities that a large auto assembly-plant does. Also quite difficult are those "chameleon" colors that change from rose to bluish-green to purplish, depending on the sunlight and viewing-angle. They were basally a fad that (not surprisingly) lost favor.
Old 01-21-17, 07:27 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The description of Atomic Silver is absolutely right... Gray, but in a very silver way! I always have trouble explaining it to friends, but that's partly why I like it.

in person under certain lighting conditions there's almost a golden hue to the paint as well. i have two 3ISs and one is this color. i, too, find the color quite difficult to describe accurately.
Old 01-21-17, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as Lexus goes, like I said, I don't remember that many greens (maybe an occasional dark forest-green on the ES)......but I'll take your word for it. You have owned more Lexus products than me. I have only had done.....a bright yellow IS300.
Green was very common on older Lexus cars

Old 01-21-17, 03:20 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Pearl white is sharp, but I like with gold crystal even better. You see othe withe pearls. You don't see white gold crystal pearl.
Attached Thumbnails 5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style-image.jpeg  
Old 01-21-17, 03:31 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

So a lot like pearl white straight on, but from an angle you get the gold tinge, and hold flake.
Attached Thumbnails 5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style-image.jpeg  
Old 01-21-17, 03:42 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

has a nice metallic look and rare. This is the only one I have seen.

Quick Reply: 5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style