Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style

Old 01-21-17, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Atomic Silver is unbelievable, the way it changes colors and highlights the lines of any Lexus. I've seen it on many NX's and it looks sharp, but I recently saw it on an RC F-Sport and almost followed the car home it was so stunning. Pics don't do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails 5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style-atomic-silver.jpg  
Old 01-21-17, 10:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of the problems with that type of paint job is that it is quite difficult for body shops to replicate accurately. The average body shop, no matter how good it is, usually does not have the extensive painting-facilities that a large auto assembly-plant does. Also quite difficult are those "chameleon" colors that change from rose to bluish-green to purplish, depending on the sunlight and viewing-angle. They were basally a fad that (not surprisingly) lost favor.
Yes, that was once a problem. But from the research I've done the past few years with autobody shops, it's not the problem it once was. Advances in color reading and mixing technology and have made it virtually impossible to not match accurately. This would be the case with AAA recommended shops. I can't speak for the Earl Scheib places.
Old 01-22-17, 07:46 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yes, that was once a problem. But from the research I've done the past few years with autobody shops, it's not the problem it once was. Advances in color reading and mixing technology and have made it virtually impossible to not match accurately. This would be the case with AAA recommended shops. I can't speak for the Earl Scheib places.

the problem when you match pearl isn't so much a problem of mixing a match. The problem is laying down the pearl coat. If you lay it just ever so slightly thinner, it is lighter in color. If you go even barely thicker it's darker than the original. It is darn near impossible with a tri coat paint to match it perfectly.
Old 01-22-17, 07:48 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
the problem when you match pearl isn't so much a problem of mixing a match. The problem is laying down the pearl coat. If you lay it just ever so slightly thinner, it is lighter in color. If you go even barely thicker it's darker than the original. It is darn near impossible with a tri coat paint to match it perfectly.
moral of the story: never damage your pearl-colored, tri-coat paint job.
Old 01-22-17, 08:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
on a serious note, i once owned a starfire pearl 2IS and it was in a minor accident. the bodyshop that my local lexus dealer recommended did a fantastic job matching the paint and the resprayed area was indistinguishable from the original surrounding areas. so, it's definitely possible to accurately match a tri-coat paint color.
Old 01-22-17, 08:05 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
on a serious note, i once owned a starfire pearl 2IS and it was in a minor accident. the bodyshop that my local lexus dealer recommended did a fantastic job matching the paint and the resprayed area was indistinguishable from the original surrounding areas. so, it's definitely possible to accurately match a tri-coat paint color.

it it can be done, most just don't seem to have a good enough eye. Some have gotten it down, because they care, and enough practice. They are the minority though, sadly.
Old 01-22-17, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Factory assembly-plants also have the ability to bake the finishes, which you don't usually find in typical body shops. But, you are correct that body shops, in general, do a much better job today than they did decades ago.

As fear as the Earl Sheib places go, he made his reputation by doing paintwork at the lowest possible cost. It was, IMO, a paint job for the owner who simply looked at his or her car as a piece of transportation and not something to take much pride in.
Old 01-22-17, 09:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Atomic Silver is one of the few "grey" hues that I really like.
Old 01-22-17, 09:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Blacks, both metallic and non-metallic, seem to be extremely popular on some luxury makes, yet not so much so with Lexus. A black car can shine like a mirror when it is freshly washed and detailed, but can be a PITA to try and keep it that way. It also heats up quite rapidly under a high sun angle.

One color Lexus offered some time ago (on the 1Gen IS300) I thought was quite classy, but we haven't seen since, is the Auburn Sky Metallic. It seemed to be a cross between reddish-orange and cinnamon.

And, of course, my all-time favorite is Amythist, a purplish-gray....especially in the lighter tones of it.

I love that color on 1990's Cadillacs, once again one of the few "grey" colors I don't find boring and really like. Did anybody else offer that shade of purplish grey??? Only cars I've seen it on are Cadillacs.

I also love the pearl white on my 1992 SC300. Most pearl whites, they look pretty white with a bit of metallic flake in it. The color on my car, it can look flat white, sparkly white or cream colored depending on how the light hits it.

As far as other colors I wish Lexus would bring back, I saw a two tone blue 1st gen RX300 the other day that was simply stunning, it was light blue with darker blue lower body. I also really like this two tone 1st gen RX300, not sure what color they called it, but once again its an "interesting" grey. I really miss two tone cars and trucks, only reason they went out of fashion is automakers realized it cost too much $$$$ to paint a car two different colors and quit offering it.

Old 01-23-17, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I like two tone colors too, on older cars. The issue is the way cars are styled now, there's no logical physical break in a cars design to allow for two toned paint. Think about it, where would you separate a modern car for the two tone?
Old 01-23-17, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I love that color on 1990's Cadillacs, once again one of the few "grey" colors I don't find boring and really like. Did anybody else offer that shade of purplish grey??? Only cars I've seen it on are Cadillacs.
Subaru offered an "Amythist" on early models of the 1Gen Impreza, but it was a little more purplish than the Cadillac. The "Amythist" that Lexus offered on some 2 Gen SC models was actually a very dark purple.
Old 01-23-17, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I like two tone colors too, on older cars. The issue is the way cars are styled now, there's no logical physical break in a cars design to allow for two toned paint. Think about it, where would you separate a modern car for the two tone?
Two-tones (and even three-tones) probably reached their peak in the mid/late1950s. Flamboyancy was the name of the game back then.

Old 01-23-17, 11:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They could still do it on trucks and more traditional suv's, those are still pretty boxy to where you can put styling lines in the right places to where it would be a natural place for the paint break. Pretty sure that's aftermarket paint or a part vinyl wrap on the silverado, but Ford still offers two tones on the F150

Old 01-23-17, 11:41 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

One of my favorites is plum crazy on Dodge Chargers, especially early 70's Chargers.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/plu...or-challenger/
Old 01-23-17, 12:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
has a nice metallic look and rare. This is the only one I have seen.

There is a peridot mica GX in my neighborhood and it looks awesome, green in some angles and more gold in other angles. While I like the color, I would never buy it. I used to like green in the early 90's but have no love for them anymore. For daily drivers I typically stick with the ones that are easier to sell, black, white and silver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 Lexus Factory Colors Always in Style