Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is it with Toyota DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 04:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What is it with Toyota DRLs?

I see a lot of Toyotas -- mostly Camrys, admittedly -- driving around with the parking lights and DRLs on. I mean, in complete darkness.

At first, I thought that people were driving around with their parking lights on before dusk, and forgot to put their headlights on. But today, driving home from work, a Highlander was coming toward me with no lights on at all--and it was way past dusk. I flashed my lights and the driver turned on her headlights--but then the headlights went off, and the DRLs came on with the parking lights.

So I started to wonder--is there something odd about the design of the Toyota headlight switch on the turn signal stalk that would cause a driver to reflexively turn the switch, thinking it's ON, but inadvertently going one click too far that would make the parking lights and DRLs only be on?

I think my old IS250 was OFF/Parking/ON/AUTO in that sequence.

Any Toyota owners have a pic of the stalk, or other insight?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-17, 04:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's so annoying and I see very frequently on Toyota and Honda vehicles. The gauges being lit all the time just seems to really throw people off.
Old 01-16-17, 04:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I see it on all vehicles.

Here's my Highlander switch. Pretty typical. Off, auto, parking, headlights.

Old 01-16-17, 04:53 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see mostly the new Accords driving around with just the LED DRLs at night. It might be because the LED's are "bright" enough where it may seem like the headlights are on? People these days don't look for that headlight symbol on their dash anymore.. They could easily get into/cause an accident because their tail lights are not on, especially on the freeway.
Old 01-16-17, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Usually, with the headlight switch on AUTO, the regular headlights will come on automatically when it gets too dark for the DRLs or parking lights. I notice that on my Verano......if I'm running regular DRLs in the daytime, it will sometimes temporarily kick on full-headlights while driving through a tunnel, long overpass, parking garage, under a long grove of trees away from the sun, or any condition that darkens the surroundings around the car. When that happens, the video-screen also changes light-intensity and a green light goes on in the gauge-panel.

I'm not saying that Toyotas are necessarily programmed that way.....but the majority of today's vehicles are.
Old 01-16-17, 04:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think a big part of it is most instrument clusters are backlit now at all times, so it's still illuminated when the lights are off. It used to be that the gauges were dark so it was easier to notice if you forgot them.
Old 01-16-17, 05:14 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed this in a lot of Japanese cars. Japanese cars also have crappy defrost systems.
Old 01-16-17, 05:19 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think a big part of it is most instrument clusters are backlit now at all times, so it's still illuminated when the lights are off. It used to be that the gauges were dark so it was easier to notice if you forgot them.
Yep, this has happened to me a few times in my LS when driving out of a parking garage at night. I realize with a start that the headlights are off, and the only visual cue alerting me was that the Nav screen was still in daylight mode (bright screen with dark markings) and not nighttime mode (dark screen with bright markings). I used to use the Auto mode, but I don't like that it keeps the headlights lit for at least 20-30 sec after stopping the engine. AFAIK, that time cannot be set to zero (should again check the setting menu using Carista).
Old 01-16-17, 05:58 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's stupid easy to leave it on auto all the time, but valets, dealer service people, anyone else getting into your car will mess it up. The backlit displays are throwing people off and I guess they have excellent night vision and well lit streets.

I used to flash my brights at people a long time ago to let them know, but these days 10/10 people have no clue so I don't bother anymore.
Old 01-16-17, 06:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, it's easy to do this. As I recall, I had a small green lightbulb in the instrument cluster of my GS350 to let me know when the lights were on. I have no such indicator in my Audi. I rarely drive at night (it's bad enough during the day), so fortunately you won't encounter me on the road with no lights. :-)
Old 01-16-17, 06:20 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

dseag2, I like your thumbnail and signature photos . Thumbing your nose at all the Lexus faithful here! Then again, you have paid your dues, so you have earned the right. BTW, that A4 looks gorgeous.
Old 01-16-17, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Toyota and Honda allow the dash lights to come without going full for the headlights. I think it is the P mode for the lights. I always thought this was a design defect but apparently not.
Old 01-16-17, 06:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by comotiger
dseag2, I like your thumbnail and signature photos . Thumbing your nose at all the Lexus faithful here! Then again, you have paid your dues, so you have earned the right. BTW, that A4 looks gorgeous.
Hey, thanks very much for the compliment. Not thumbing my nose at all. I just always have a pic of my latest car in my sig. It was my '13 GS F Sport for almost 3 years. This is a great group of supportive people that are (for the most part) objective about brands. I also try to be objective when possible because one never knows when one may go back to a previous brand. But yes, I've paid my dues with Lexus and if anyone else can claim owning more than 6 in their lifetime they can call me a traitor! :-)
Old 01-16-17, 06:49 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, it's easy to do this. As I recall, I had a small green lightbulb in the instrument cluster of my GS350 to let me know when the lights were on. I have no such indicator in my Audi. I rarely drive at night (it's bad enough during the day), so fortunately you won't encounter me on the road with no lights. :-)
Audi's don't have any "headlight on" indicators on the dash?
Old 01-16-17, 07:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Audi's don't have any "headlight on" indicators on the dash?
No, it is hard to explain, but the only indicator I can find is on the actual **** that turns on the lights. The "light" symbol on the **** turns green when you turn it to "lights", but then you would have to actively do that. When the lights come on automatically I do not see any indicator.

Quick Reply: What is it with Toyota DRLs?