Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Dodge Demon is coming

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default The Dodge Demon is coming

According to Dodge's new website, www.ifyouknowyouknow.com, an even crazier version of the Challenger SRT Hellcat is on the way. It's called the Dodge Demon.
Old 01-12-17, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I see little sense in bringing out a Challenger with even more HP/Torque, for street use, than the Hellcat already provides. If they want to do something that IMO would make far more sense, while using the original Demon name from the early 70s, bring out a pocket-rocket version of the current Dodge Dart, which is basically what the original early-70s Demon was. An updated Demon, today, would be good competition for the Boy-Racer versions of the Ford Focus.

Here's the original Demon:

Old 01-12-17, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

The Challenger 'Demon' or whatever they want to call it is for people who live their life a 1/4 mile at a time.

The Dart and 200 are slated to go away asap according to FCA management. So probably not a good idea for a hopped up version.
Old 01-12-17, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Challenger 'Demon' or whatever they want to call it is for people who live their life a 1/4 mile at a time.
Quarter-miles, though (at least legally) are not usually run on the street. Basically, a Demon-level Challenger would be NHRA-grade stuff.

The Dart and 200 are slated to go away asap according to FCA management. So probably not a good idea for a hopped up version.
Yes, I know the current Dart is (currently) slated for extinction. But I still think a Focus-RS-competitor version of it would make sense.......and perhaps (?) breathe back some life into even the more mundane versions, canceling their demise.
Old 01-12-17, 02:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-12-17, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Quarter-miles, though (at least legally) are not usually run on the street. Basically, a Demon-level Challenger would be NHRA-grade stuff.
Or one could just go to their local track. Usually during the weekdays they have 1/4 mile events for $10-15 for a few runs. Our local Sonoma Raceway in NorCal, formerly Sears Point Raceway and Infineon Raceway does this on Wed nights. There's even an option to run against local Police and CHP in their cruisers sometimes.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I know the current Dart is (currently) slated for extinction. But I still think a Focus-RS-competitor version of it would make sense.......and perhaps (?) breathe back some life into even the more mundane versions, canceling their demise.
The Neon (despite what a pile it was) SRT4 had and still has a cult following. Perhaps once Chrysler and Dodge have figured out what they want in their stables, they can revisit it.
Old 01-12-17, 03:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There's enough street racing at night keeping me up. Catering to the high testosterone/low brain cell clan is really getting old. Dumb name too. Those who buy these monsters around here have no interest or connection to Chrysler heritage.
Old 01-12-17, 06:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They better put some fatter tires under the "Demon". The 275/40/R20 size on the current Charger and Challenger Hellcat is a joke, no way are you able to put all the power down in 1st gear. I think the current viper runs a 355/30/R19 on the rear tires.

Rather than build the Demon with more hp than the Hellcat, I'd love to see a Hellcat Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Hellcat Ram. They can offer the Hellcat Ram in a couple of different configs, maybe the reg cab/short box with a slammed suspension and a more practical crew cab version with a more normal truck suspension that has the same tow and payload ratings as a normal Ram. Right now America is pickup truck crazy, and I think there is a very sizable niche for crazy models like the Hellcat Ram. Ford can't build enough of those Raptors. Loaded F150 Platinums and Sierra Denalis sell like hotcakes for 60-70k a pop. I think Dodge(and GM) are really missing the boat on not offering something completely insane in the pickup market.
Old 01-12-17, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Neon (despite what a pile it was) SRT4 had and still has a cult following. Perhaps once Chrysler and Dodge have figured out what they want in their stables, they can revisit it.
Oh, I agree that, build-quality-wise, the Neon was a piece of junk. For enthusiasts, though, there was not only an SRT-4 version but also an ACR (American Club Racer).
Old 01-12-17, 11:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
They better put some fatter tires under the "Demon". The 275/40/R20 size on the current Charger and Challenger Hellcat is a joke, no way are you able to put all the power down in 1st gear. I think the current viper runs a 355/30/R19 on the rear tires.

Rather than build the Demon with more hp than the Hellcat, I'd love to see a Hellcat Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Hellcat Ram. They can offer the Hellcat Ram in a couple of different configs, maybe the reg cab/short box with a slammed suspension and a more practical crew cab version with a more normal truck suspension that has the same tow and payload ratings as a normal Ram. Right now America is pickup truck crazy, and I think there is a very sizable niche for crazy models like the Hellcat Ram. Ford can't build enough of those Raptors. Loaded F150 Platinums and Sierra Denalis sell like hotcakes for 60-70k a pop. I think Dodge(and GM) are really missing the boat on not offering something completely insane in the pickup market.
Isn't the Hellcat Jeep is coming? Yes I agree about this since I like high HP monster SUV/Trucks
wider tires yes, mine has 285 front and 325 rear, with AWD I hardly find a situation that I need more grip doing 80% of its capacity.
Old 01-13-17, 11:14 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this will be awesome and look forward to the reveal. Some of us like having more power than necessary, and it is not about testosterone/low brain cells. I doubt they have AWD stout enough to handle the power output, especially the torque. I would rather see a modest (10%) bump in power but with as wide of rubber as can be crammed under a wide-body version and then some use of carbon to try and get the curb weight back to sub 4000lb levels.
Old 01-14-17, 03:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Any guesses on the powerplant? I'm going to say supercharged 7.4L Hemi V8, ~880hp. Should be AWD at those power levels, but I don't know where they'd procure such a system. Base price perhaps right around $100k?
Old 01-15-17, 12:24 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It will cost a small fortune, be low production and ridiculously overpowered. I'm glad such silliness exists in the automotive world Better to build these now rather than later just to do it. Dodge and Chrysler (and in the past also Plymouth) have a long history of building performance special editions of some of their models within a single production cycle.

This has to be going through on the current RWD platform before it is phased out and not on the upcoming FCA RWD platform for the next-gen Challenger that will be shared with the Alfa Romeo Giulia sedan.
Old 01-15-17, 03:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Any guesses on the powerplant? I'm going to say supercharged 7.4L Hemi V8, ~880hp. Base price perhaps right around $100k?
100K for a drag-racing Dodge? IMO only the most avid enthusiast (or someone with more money than sense) would do that.

Should be AWD at those power levels, but I don't know where they'd procure such a system.
An AWD system for the general platform already exists for the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, but whether it can handle that kind of power remains to be seen.
Old 01-15-17, 03:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Better to build these now rather than later.
CAFE laws may not allow this kind of vehicle later. In fact, I'd wager that the car gets hit with even the present Gas-Guzzler Tax.

Quick Reply: The Dodge Demon is coming