Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 honda odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 10:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs up 2018 honda odyssey

From Motor Trend.

It looks great, inside and out. Much better than the current design. Honda keeps improving on their current models.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...63E2351930118C

2018 Honda Odyssey First Look: Tackling Pacifica in Reheated Minivan Wars

Customers Will Love Sideways Sliding Second-Row Seats

An all-new Honda Odyssey enters the rekindled battle for the minivan market to compete head-on with the new Chrysler Pacifica, which has breathed life into the segment.With the 2018 Odyssey unveiled at the 2017 North American International Auto Show, Honda shows it has no intention of losing minivan share. The new Odyssey will go on sale this spring, and pricing has not been announced.This is the fifth generation of a van that made its debut for the 1995 model year and became the thorn in Chrysler’s side. It was often the top-selling minivan nameplate, a distinction it would like to reclaim.The 2018 model has gone for a more modern and sophisticated look with an interesting scallop on the hood and a hoodline that flows into the top of the headlamps. If you’re picky, you’ll notice that the vertical lines from the A-pillar to the hood are about an inch off from the lines that extend down into the headlamps. Similarly, the scallop accent line meets the grille and again is offset by about an inch.

Honda also retains its signature lightning bolt beltline, which drops at the back. Although it’s more refined and not as jarring, it’s a questionable design element to retain with each new generation. But we are pleased to see the sliding door tracks hidden in the lower portion of the rear quarter windows.The van has C-shaped taillamps, a floating D-pillar, and larger wheels and tires than the outgoing model. It has a hands-free liftgate—a feature becoming more ubiquitous across the industry—and the rear hatch lifts surprisingly high for huge entry and reveals a deep storage gorge in the cargo hold.The 3.5-liter direct-injection V-6 generates 280 horsepower, up by 32 hp, and is paired with a nine- or 10-speed automatic transmission, depending on the trim level. The efficiency of the powertrain package, as well as a new active shutter grille and a lighter and more aerodynamic vehicle overall, has Honda executives anticipating a top EPA fuel economy rating.Some features are true standouts, such as the Magic Slide seats in the second row. Both seats slide to meet in the middle for easier access to the third row, even with two child seats still strapped in place. It’s so easy that even a small child could easily grab the bar and slide the seat forward before clambering in. Trim levels EX and above offer the option of a three-person second row without the Magic Slide seats.The rear seats fold flat, but it must be done manually—no pushing a button and letting hydraulics do the work for you.Less popular among passengers might be the decision to hang a single rear 10.2-inch entertainment screen from the ceiling for kids in the back rows to live-stream entertainment through Wi-Fi or cellphone data. Conversely, the Pacifica provides individual 10.0-inch screens in the second-row headrests for individual programming. Like FCA, Honda has an “Are we there yet?” app, so kids can gauge how much farther to grandma’s house.Honda offers teens sitting in the back seat an alternative to the Disney movie playing on the universal screen; they can plug in their individual devices, put in the earphones, and use the 4G LTE Wi-Fi to tune out the rest of the world.

The Odyssey’s 8.0-inch touchscreen controls the infotainment system and can receive system updates. The CabinControl app lets you control key vehicles systems, audio, and rear entertainment systems with a smartphone. Everyone can talk and hear easily, thanks to the effort that was put into acoustics. More sound-deadening materials were used with the goal of creating the quietest cabin in the segment. CabinTalk is an in-vehicle PA system to talk to rear passengers through rear speakers and headphones. CabinWatch uses a camera to show on the touchscreen what is going on behind the front seats.In terms of tech, the 2018 model will offer Honda Sensing, a suite of safety and advanced driver assist features, as standard equipment on most of the trim levels (EX and above).Minivan sales rose 8 percent in 2016 to 553,131 last year. The top single nameplate was the Toyota Sienna at almost 128,000. FCA is the giant killer with almost 250,000 sales last year when you combine the new Pacifica, the outgoing Chrysler Town & Country, and the Dodge Caravan. Honda sold about 121,000 Odysseys, and Kia sold only 44,000 Sedonas.The new Odyssey completes Honda’s overhaul of its light truck lineup, which includes the Pilot, HR-V, Ridgeline, and CR-V, all of which have been redone since 2015.

Old 01-09-17, 10:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The sideways slighting second row seats are awesome. The Acura-esque transmission buttons not so much
Old 01-10-17, 04:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's an interestingly large infotainment housing for what appears to be a not-so-large screen. I'm sure it's better than the 2-screen Honda set up, but why such a huge housing instead of utilizing that protrusion better?
Old 01-10-17, 05:06 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pacifica still wins out IMO - that stow n go option is probably the most convenient option ever for this class lol
Old 01-10-17, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks like a great entry in this segment. not big on the looks of it though, i think the pacifica looks better. also, the pacifica hybrid looks like it will be the bargain of the century.
Old 01-10-17, 07:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Some nice interior appointments, but I'm disappointed in the exterior. I never really cared for the last version, and this one looks much the same.
Old 01-10-17, 07:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The sideways slighting second row seats are awesome. The Acura-esque transmission buttons not so much
I seem to remember that an earlier generation of Odyssey had sideways-sliding seats?

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's an interestingly large infotainment housing for what appears to be a not-so-large screen. I'm sure it's better than the 2-screen Honda set up, but why such a huge housing instead of utilizing that protrusion better?
I was going to say that the screen looks too obviously like it was tacked on at the last minute.

Originally Posted by baddis es
pacifica still wins out IMO - that stow n go option is probably the most convenient option ever for this class lol
But the Stow 'n Go seats have be made thinner in order to fit in the floor and because of that, supposedly are not that comfortable. That is the reason given by Toyota and Honda for sticking with the thrones / Captain's chairs and not going with drop-into-the-floor 2nd-row seats.
Old 01-10-17, 08:28 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like a great entry in this segment. not big on the looks of it though, i think the pacifica looks better. also, the pacifica hybrid looks like it will be the bargain of the century.
Agreed, I was hoping that it would spur Honda or Toyota into offering their own hybrid minivans, but that doesn't look like it'll be the case any time soon
Old 01-10-17, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Nice! Big improvement over the last one. I hate the transmission buttons but it is what it is. I'm sure it will have all the tech the previous car was missing too. Love the magic seats.

Originally Posted by baddis es
Issue is if you have two car seats like I do the future isn't very useful...
Old 01-10-17, 09:15 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is this a facelift or an all new because it looks pretty similar inside and out. At least thats all I can tell from using my magnifying glass on my screen
Old 01-10-17, 09:23 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From a styling perspective, I still prefer the exterior looks of the Sienna and Pacifica.
Old 01-10-17, 09:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I bet the Odyssey will be far more reliable than the Pacifica. FCA has lousy reliability so wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole for the family minivan. In my 4 years with our Odyssey, i've beaten the living crap out of her and it has almost 100k miles....NEVER had a single issue with it. Trouble with minivans is that after the kids destroy it, they no longer have any trade in value. People tend to keep these things forever so better to have the most reliable ones.
Old 01-10-17, 09:38 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet the Odyssey will be far more reliable than the Pacifica. FCA has lousy reliability so wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole for the family minivan. In my 4 years with our Odyssey, i've beaten the living crap out of her and it has almost 100k miles....NEVER had a single issue with it. Trouble with minivans is that after the kids destroy it, they no longer have any trade in value. People tend to keep these things forever so better to have the most reliable ones.
I have a very good friend who owned an early 2000s FCA minivan that was plagued with electrical gremlins. The nail in the coffin was the fact that one day he was driving down the highway with his two very young children and the sliding doors opened on their own. Talk about stress. I'm sure their reliability is miles better than before, but it's the stigma (and painful memories lol) that keep potential buyers away.
Old 01-10-17, 09:46 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Interior has way too many angular shapes, stop it Honda.
Old 01-10-17, 10:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I seem to remember that an earlier generation of Odyssey had sideways-sliding seats?

I was going to say that the screen looks too obviously like it was tacked on at the last minute.

But the Stow 'n Go seats have be made thinner in order to fit in the floor and because of that, supposedly are not that comfortable. That is the reason given by Toyota and Honda for sticking with the thrones / Captain's chairs and not going with drop-into-the-floor 2nd-row seats.
The 1999 Odyssey had a similar sliding 2nd row set of captains chairs, but I believe only the passenger side seat could be slid over towards the driver side. This new Odyssey looks like you can mix/match a couple more variations of slide positions.

While the outgoing Stow n Go seats were quite thin/uncomfortable, the newest set in the Pacifica is very nice. They might not have the "ottoman" that the Sienna/Sedona offer, but they also have much more room underneath/behind for 3rd row footroom.

Quick Reply: 2018 honda odyssey