Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 12:33 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb v6

http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-toy...he-2018-camry/

Why Toyota Didn’t Add a Turbo Four and Still Offers a V-6 in the 2018 Camry

January 24, 2017 at 9:36 am by Bengt Halvorson Photography by THE MANUFACTURER
Although the styling of the 2018 Toyota Camry revealed earlier this month at the Detroit auto show takes a daring turn for this long-bland nameplate, at first glance the powertrain lineup looks to have been left behind in the radical remake. As before, there’s a base 2.5-liter inline 4-cylinder, a V-6 for upper trim levels, and a hybrid.

However, the basic descriptors are about where the similarities end. The displacements are the same, yet almost nothing carries over. The 2.5-liter used throughout much of the lineup (and in hybrid models) is an entirely new engine, while the hybrid system has been reworked, and a new 8-speed automatic transmission has been introduced for all non-hybrid models.

With the flexibility of a clean-slate engine redo, we wondered: Why hasn’t Toyota moved to the new industry norm of turbocharged smaller-displacement, generally 2.0-liter, engines as embraced by the Chevrolet Malibu, the Kia Optima, and the Hyundai Sonata? Why is a V-6 still in the Camry lineup?

The American customer loves a V-6, right? That is my understanding of why we have to keep the V-6,” said Masato Katsumata, chief engineer for the 2018 Camry, in a roundtable at the Detroit show.
Bill Fay, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager, said that he expects V-6 models to make up less than 10 percent of Camrys sold, yet Toyota sees continued demand from “a certain kind of customer who’s looking for that level of performance.” Toyota executives have in the past also called the V-6 Camry a dealer favorite, as it brings a higher-income customer into showrooms and commands a higher sticker price. Besides, Honda still offers a V-6 in the Accord, and if there’s 1 competitor Toyota wants to match its lineup against, it’s the Accord.

Toyota makes a strong argument that its new 4-cylinder engine, with its high-efficiency intake port and high-airflow design, doesn’t need forced induction, and the automaker hints that its performance will be edging closer to that of the V-6. Deputy chief engineer Keita Moritsu pointed out, as we followed up with more questions after the show, that the engine produces low-rev torque that’s comparable to supercharged engines, and combined with its high-rev output, he said, that gives it an advantage among naturally aspirated engines.

40 Percent Thermal Efficiency, 20 Percent Better Fuel Economy

The new Dynamic Force 4, which is physically the same in the Camry and Camry hybrid but tuned differently, promises some astounding efficiency improvements, too, which Toyota attributes to its long-stroke design, variable cooling system, multi-hole direct injection, and high compression. The company claims 41 percent thermal efficiency in the Camry hybrid and 40 percent in the standard Camry. That’s in the range that was the exclusive domain of diesel engines only a few years ago.

Toyota has not yet confirmed U.S. specifications for the Camry powertrains, which can differ significantly from specs on those sold in Japan. That said, Toyota claims about a 10 percent improvement in power and approximately 20 percent better fuel economy for the Dynamic Force over today’s inline-4, which makes 178 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque and returns 24 mpg city/33 mpg highway (27 mpg combined). That suggests new power ratings above 195 horsepower and an EPA combined rating of 32 mpg or better.

Today’s Camry hybrid is rated at 42 mpg city/38 mpg highway (40 mpg combined), and Toyota also points to a 20 percent improvement there—for 44 mpg combined, perhaps.

Although some Americans will avert their eyes from the sight of a hybrid badge, especially while gasoline prices remain low, chief engineer Katsumata is convinced that it’s the hybrid model—not the V-6—that’s the best-driving Camry. That’s because the weight distribution is more balanced in hybrid models, thanks to the battery pack located under the back seat.“I believe you can enjoy the driving performance in a twisty road better than the V-6,” Katsumata said. “Of course in a long straight or up and down, on a racetrack, the V-6 is better.”

Old 01-24-17, 02:05 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Demo or loaner cars do not have altered engines sounds, even though these cars are less cared for. An engine cannot change noise after 2000, 5000 or 10,000 miles worth of hard driving. It takes 100k+ miles of abuse to MAYBE make some sort of difference, and even that is a stretch considering how modern engines are built today. What you are hearing and feeling is a direct result of how the engine was built in the factory.
Besides that I'm certain Toyota tunes and develops Lexus 2.0T annually I bet IS facelift has something to do with it as well. It seems they made the integration of the body and underpinnings with the new engine a bit more seamless and refined. It feels good in facelifted GS as well, and yeah I've blasted the engine before but now I consider it adequate for daily duties. The four banger will only get better with the age even though it's not on par with GM, BMW or Audi but 2.5 V6 was at it's best day just an OK engine, in my opinion it's been subpar since day one. It made sense in US due to cheap fuel but anywhere else it didn't offer nothing over competition. As a matter it offered a lot less in everything from performance to fuel consumption and all the butter smoothness in this world can't make up for that.
Old 01-25-17, 03:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Camry also shares the extensions of its TNGA-K platform with a wide variety of larger vehicles, Sienna, Highlander, Avalon/ES, etc, which utilize a V6. So, since they need to protect for V6 installation anyways, and their V6 does a good job of managing power and fuel economy, there's no need to jump into the turbo 4 wagon just yet.

If they could have branched off the platform from those larger vehicles, then they likely could have gotten a little bit more weight savings by only having to design for the inclusion of 4 cylinder power plants, and potentially a turbo 4.
Old 01-25-17, 05:20 PM
patmarcel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engaging driving dynamics was key in the development of the 2018 Camry and like every vehicle that's moved to Toyota's TNGA platform. Check this site https://**********.com.
Old 01-26-17, 06:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably a lot easier to use an existing engine rather than try to squeeze similar hp from the mediocre 2.0t.
Old 01-26-17, 11:20 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Camry also shares the extensions of its TNGA-K platform with a wide variety of larger vehicles, Sienna, Highlander, Avalon/ES, etc, which utilize a V6. So, since they need to protect for V6 installation anyways, and their V6 does a good job of managing power and fuel economy, there's no need to jump into the turbo 4 wagon just yet.
There's already an RX200t outside the US market, so there's no "jump into the turbo 4 wagon" as far as the K platform goes. It already happened.
If they could have branched off the platform from those larger vehicles, then they likely could have gotten a little bit more weight savings by only having to design for the inclusion of 4 cylinder power plants, and potentially a turbo 4.
Lexus' turbo-4 actually weighs about the same as the 3.5L V6, as evidenced by the nearly identical curb weights of the IS200t and the IS350.
Old 01-26-17, 04:22 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ydooby
There's already an RX200t outside the US market, so there's no "jump into the turbo 4 wagon" as far as the K platform goes. It already happened.Lexus' turbo-4 actually weighs about the same as the 3.5L V6, as evidenced by the nearly identical curb weights of the IS200t and the IS350.
I meant just giving up the V6 completely, like Fusion, Sonata, Malibu, etc. And i meant more weight savings potentially in the structure. I assume they need to beef up or compromise some other areas to support the larger V6. Could they have shaved more weight from a total standpoint by not having to potentially incorporate V6's and optimizing structure around the smaller engines.
Old 01-31-17, 08:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it odd to actually want a white Camry with black roof and red interior?

Who'd have thunk it?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-31-17 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 01:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is it odd to actually want a white Camry with black roof and red interior?

Who'd have thunk it?
I'm right there with you. I love this new design.
Old 01-31-17, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Saw it in person at the D.C. Auto Show. It's okay.
Old 01-31-17, 07:26 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That white with black roof and red interior, god dang.

Though realistically I would probably swap the blacked out C-pillar for just the black roof.
Old 01-31-17, 08:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like they are going after the Maxima, which is a more expensive car. Good for Toyota!
Old 01-31-17, 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't get all excited just yet. A lot of these press release photos are of altered cars that are lowered with tinted windows all around. As I have been saying since the early 90's, "lower any car, black out the windows, and it will look good." You could do that to a new frumpy Civic, and even THAT will look good.
Old 02-01-17, 08:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
As I have been saying since the early 90's, "lower any car, black out the windows, and it will look good." You could do that to a new frumpy Civic, and even THAT will look good.
how about prius?
Old 02-01-17, 08:48 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I find the red color too sharp and bright for my tastes, Id rather have a deeper red.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed