Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Book by Cadillac offers unlimited vehicle access for $1,500 per month

Old 01-10-17, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

That, and life is not always about doing things the cheapest way possible. Sometimes it's okay to spend a little more than what might be necessary for a luxury you enjoy.

Like I've said I've done the math on the leasing many times. If you're going to buy new, and you're going to replace the car at least every 5 years, leasing is no more expensive than buying, and if you trade sooner than 5 years the pendulum swings towards leasing being cheaper....even without the business deduction benefits.
Old 01-10-17, 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Ok. In the example of the piece of land paid off...... if you don't sell that piece of land and convert to a lump sum pile of cash for you to do whatever you want, then WHAT? So you sell the piece of land, then the income tax implications kicks in.
I don't know the laws and taxes exactly. I think the first $250k profit is tax free. And if you are a married couple like I am, $500k profits are tax free. I am not planning on moving or selling anytime soon. I haven't had a payment on my house for more than 25 years now.

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Let's say you rent it out instead. And you are able to get $1500 a month for the rent. Now we are talking smart. ...... you can use that $1500 a month for that Caddy or whatever you like as long as the land is rented out. Income tax implications with the rental too..
You could certainly do that as well.
Old 01-10-17, 07:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

https://www.bookbycadillac.com/#faq-wrapper

V series cars maybe hard to get and CTS-V limited to a 5 day reservation.
Also only avail from March to October.

Program allows up to 18 exchanges every 12 months which is pretty good.
I may try this out this summer for 30days and plan a road trip in a CTS-V lol. Also would really love to drive a manual ATS-V.
NYC is the first market to get this.
Old 01-10-17, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
https://www.bookbycadillac.com/#faq-wrapper

V series cars maybe hard to get and CTS-V limited to a 5 day reservation.
Also only avail from March to October.

Program allows up to 18 exchanges every 12 months which is pretty good.
I may try this out this summer for 30days and plan a road trip in a CTS-V lol. Also would really love to drive a manual ATS-V.
NYC is the first market to get this.
Thanks for posting. I was trying to find more information but nothing was available at the time.
Old 01-10-17, 07:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

$1500 is too damn expensive
Old 01-10-17, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not everybody cares about "owning" a car. I know I'm going to get a new car every 3-4 years, so I'm going to have payments forever anyways. Doesn't bother me.
Amen, bro.

And the 2-year lease on my S5 Coupe ($64k car) was close to $1,000 per month so this isn't that far off the mark.
Old 01-11-17, 12:30 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That, and life is not always about doing things the cheapest way possible. Sometimes it's okay to spend a little more than what might be necessary for a luxury you enjoy.

Like I've said I've done the math on the leasing many times. If you're going to buy new, and you're going to replace the car at least every 5 years, leasing is no more expensive than buying, and if you trade sooner than 5 years the pendulum swings towards leasing being cheaper....even without the business deduction benefits.
I'm so happy you are a member here Steve, cuz with the similar thoughts we share, I don't have to type a lot to express my opinions

for people like to change car often(expensive cars), leasing is just cheaper than buying, and I don't care if I own it, to me owning it it's a liability that I know I will have to killing brain cells in couple years trying to get rid of it. Regardless the car, I know I won't like it / bored with it within a year or two. My current lease payments adds up to 2500 a month, and I wouldn't think twice to pay over 3k to have a better car. Soon I will have to upgrade my car and my wife's, the Sedona will be replaced with a GLS/Range Rover/Q7, and the M... hmm, I'm still thinking
Old 01-11-17, 06:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Looks like it's NYC-only for the moment, so I don't have to worry about it after all. Couple of other details:

No commitment--subscriptions are month-to-month.
$500 initiation fee--not clear if you have to pay this again if you stop/start.
Reservations are for up to 30-day intervals (except for 5 days on CTS-V). You can renew an existing reservation for another 30 days, as long as no one else has reserved your vehicle.
Max of 18 exchanges per year
Insurance included ($750 deductible), unlimited mileage, 3/4 tank at delivery. Must be refilled to 3/4 prior to return.

If the $500 fee is a one-time thing and this expanded to more markets, might actually be an option for our annual trip to Vegas. We're already paying ~$1000 for a 2.5 week rental of a Tahoe/Yukon, but I have to search for a deal pretty regularly to get that rate. Would be a no-brainer to book an Escalade ESV for $1500 with insurance included (I currently carry a non-owned vehicle rider, primarily for these trips) if I could do it in five seconds, a month before we go.

Still would never consider it on the regular, but might be an attractive alternative to traditional agency rentals for longer trips.
Old 01-11-17, 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I'm so happy you are a member here Steve, cuz with the similar thoughts we share, I don't have to type a lot to express my opinions

for people like to change car often(expensive cars), leasing is just cheaper than buying, and I don't care if I own it, to me owning it it's a liability that I know I will have to killing brain cells in couple years trying to get rid of it. Regardless the car, I know I won't like it / bored with it within a year or two. My current lease payments adds up to 2500 a month, and I wouldn't think twice to pay over 3k to have a better car. Soon I will have to upgrade my car and my wife's, the Sedona will be replaced with a GLS/Range Rover/Q7, and the M... hmm, I'm still thinking
Haha, happy to help!
Old 01-11-17, 08:40 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Looks like it's NYC-only for the moment, so I don't have to worry about it after all. Couple of other details:

Reservations are for up to 30-day intervals (except for 5 days on CTS-V). You can renew an existing reservation for another 30 days, as long as no one else has reserved your vehicle.
Insurance included ($750 deductible), unlimited mileage, 3/4 tank at delivery. Must be refilled to 3/4 prior to return.

If the $500 fee is a one-time thing and this expanded to more markets, might actually be an option for our annual trip to Vegas. We're already paying ~$1000 for a 2.5 week rental of a Tahoe/Yukon, but I have to search for a deal pretty regularly to get that rate. Would be a no-brainer to book an Escalade ESV for $1500 with insurance included (I currently carry a non-owned vehicle rider, primarily for these trips) if I could do it in five seconds, a month before we go.

Still would never consider it on the regular, but might be an attractive alternative to traditional agency rentals for longer trips.
That's good the insurance is included but would want to delve deeper into the coverage especially the liability portion of it. God forbid you get in an accident that kills someone and they decide to sue you for millions then what?
Old 01-11-17, 08:51 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Interesting. Especially the unlimited mileage.

Can't wait for this to expand to other areas of the country. I wonder if I join the program in Socal when it expands to Socal and pick up a Caddy and drives it cross country , can I swith it out for another Caddy elsewhere or do I need to return back to the original Caddy dealer where I picked the car from? Or I can just return that Caddy at any Caddy dealership and fly out?

Any residency requirements? Meaning do I have to be NYC resident? Can I just fly into a NYC Caddy dealership and join? Then pick up a Caddy elsewhere?

Also I fly in and out of the same airports a lot. If I can drop off the Caddy at a Caddy dealer near the airports and take the Caddy dealership's shuttle (or Uber) to and from the airports. And when I return (or land at destination) I can pick up another Caddy at the other airport's nearby Caddy dealership? Then this might really work for me. If this can be done, then the $1500 a month is doable for me considering parking at the airport is around $15 a day and vehicle maintenance and insurance. All I pay is gas. I am willing to give Caddy a try when this program is expanded to other areas. Especially with "WHITE GLOVE SERVICE". If the "WHITE GLOVE SERVICE" driver can meet me at the airport and I just sign and drive (or even if I have to take him back to the nearby Caddy dealership), then it will be a go for me. I just want to be treated like a royalty and without any headaches when I land at the airport. I've used the major car rentals at the airports before. Usually if I want a GUARANTEED "preminum car" I have to reserve it ahead of time and usually pay a premium. The free upgrade thing does not work all the time. At smaller airports, the variety of cars are limited at the rental car companies.

Originally Posted by geko29

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-11-17 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 09:12 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

That's when a personal umbrella policy kicks in?

Originally Posted by Diesel350
That's good the insurance is included but would want to delve deeper into the coverage especially the liability portion of it. God forbid you get in an accident that kills someone and they decide to sue you for millions then what?
Old 01-11-17, 09:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Here's the actual coverage amounts:

As part of your membership, Book by Cadillac insures vehicles driven in accordance to your membership agreement. Auto liability coverage is provided at $100k per person / $300K per accident / $50k property damage per accident. PIP and UM/UIM coverage are provided where required.
It varies by state, but in Illinois 100/300 is the legal limit for bodily injury. We allow up to $100k in property damage liability, so that's not maxed out. 25/50 of UM/UIM is also required, and would be provided based on the above.

For the situation you describe, you need a separate Umbrella policy over and above your standard auto policy. But that's true regardless of who the policyholder is. If you don't have one now and you're concerned about the possibility of a high-dollar lawsuit, you should look into getting one pronto.
Old 01-11-17, 09:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, my frame of reference is changing for the better!!!

I used to keep a car for a long time and really never thought about leasing. I still have not leased a car yet. But this is interesting. Especially if done under business expense. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that even if I have to pay a little more for luxury and convenience to get the job done, it is worth it.

Originally Posted by blacksc400

Old 01-11-17, 09:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

True. But only applies to "primary residence". I don't think a piece of land qualifies. It will need to be "a house on a piece of land".

So let's say you qualify for the $250k/$500k tax free sale of your primary residence and YOU DO SELL IT. YOU still will need a place to live. Depending where you are in the country, $500k can buy a lot of house OR not much at all. It's all relative. And if you don't plan on moving or selling the house, then all this is irrelevant bc no real money is made. It will all just on paper. Besides, one must be realistic bc if one "keeps" the house "forever", then upon death, just pass it onto the "kids"? IDK?

A friend of mine who realized a couple of years ago that life is too short to not enjoy it. So he sold his big house that he and his wife had "forever" and cashed out and bought a BIG diesel pusher RV RIG and travels the country with his wife and the family dog. All his kids are grown. He is happy he did.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't know the laws and taxes exactly. I think the first $250k profit is tax free. And if you are a married couple like I am, $500k profits are tax free. I am not planning on moving or selling anytime soon. I haven't had a payment on my house for more than 25 years now.

You could certainly do that as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Book by Cadillac offers unlimited vehicle access for $1,500 per month