Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Owners' 5 Least Favorite Features on Their Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 10:19 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus Owners' 5 Least Favorite Features on Their Cars

Lexus Owners' 5 Least Favorite Features on Their Cars
By Neftali Medina

Old 01-06-17, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I personally would add another one, though I know there are some who disagree with me.....zig-zag shifter-gates. Though they aren't necessarily a deal-breaker (I've owned both a Lexus IS300 and a Subaru Outback with them) I find them annoying compared to a simple fore/aft motion.

Old 01-06-17, 01:55 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

This one's easy--the "Automatic Sound Levelizer," or ALS.

On my 2010 RX450h it seemed to revert to "all bass, all the time" and I finally stopped trying to figure out why and just turned it off.

That, and the lack of warning or monitoring of the 12v battery, since it seems to be a "binary" issue: one minute there is enough juice to start the car, but drop down just a tiny bit and the car will refuse to start. It would have been so easy to put in a trickle charger coming from the giant battery pack, or at least a warning gauge or other indicator. This would be an issue only with the hybrid cars--a conventional engine start will usually give ample warning that the battery is getting weak. It's a bit like when we did the transition from analog to digital broadcast television. With analog, the image got noisier as you moved further away from the transmitter. With digital, it was either all there--or nothing at all.

Last edited by riredale; 01-09-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My only real complaint with my GS is how the engine will turn off when I open the door after I started it remotely. Definitely my least favorite "feature".
Old 01-06-17, 02:56 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

3 nitpicks that drive me mad on my NX.

--Touchpad-worst interface ever.

--Memory seat buttons at my knee level. What were they thinking?

--and the worst Nav software I have had, not helped by the touchpad.
Old 01-06-17, 06:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are two things I do not particularly like in my 2015 ES:
  1. The climate control buttons are too small and too similar. I have to take my eyes off the road for a moment too long to determine which button to press to turn on either the front or rear defrosters.
  2. There are no places to store my sunglasses case nor my mobile phone while charging. This lack of small item storage space could be a deal killer when the lease on my ES ends.
Old 01-06-17, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

why the gorgeous picture of the gs-f in the first post?
Old 01-06-17, 09:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

In no particular order:
1. (IS/RCF): Cup Holder or visor clip to hold my sunglasses? Where's the sunglasses holder overhead?
2. (IS): weak heated seats MY '17 and '14 both weak
3. (IS/NX/RCF): partially heated steering wheel. Top and bottom not heated.
4. (NX): A few menu clicks needed to enable the windshield de-icer
5. All Lexus: Nav and other vehicle settings and configuration disabled when car in Drive.
Old 01-07-17, 06:20 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The notification messages that come up when first starting the car, which end up completely obscuring the most important part of the backup camera field of view. Complete oversight.
Old 01-07-17, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Lexus owners' least favorite features of CL:

1. Curated Content Editor posts written by people who clearly know nothing about Lexus.

1. Awkward cup holders

Somewhere between the early 1990s and 2000s, car manufacturers came to the conclusion that the more cup holders there are, the better it is for everyone. While there is definitely truth in regards to cup holder usability, sometimes they're unnecessary, awkwardly placed or just plain useless. The 2011 IS350 is a notable example, with one cup holder placed in between the driver and passenger seat. If your car is a manual, good luck shifting with anything larger than a can in there!
Luckily the 2011 Lexus IS was not available with a manual transmission, so discussing how the cupholder would work with a manual is rather pointless. Of course, they don't know that.

2. EnForm Infotainment System

Now don’t get me wrong, while the Enform system is wonderfully intuitive, it does still have quite a few annoying quirks. The system has had its fair share of usability failures, where an update can cause the entire system to brick and leave you without a radio. The navigational mousepad is also riddled with complaints, as it's hard to concentrate on the road while trying to swipe into the correct the icon and section. You can instead use the touchscreen interface and ignore the touchpad. Update failures can be reset by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery.

The real problem here has more to do with Lexus’ choice in making this a subscription based feature as opposed to a one-off purchase–or even standard option. Especially considering BMW’s iDrive is currently offered as a standard option on all of its models. Long-term purchases seem to be a trend in the Lexus market.
This is just ridiculous. First of, Lexus never refers to it as the "EnForm Infotainment System". Enform (which is how its written) is Lexus's suite of apps, but the system is not referred to as Enform, and comparing it to iDrive and saying Enform is subscription based while "iDrive is standard" shows a total lack of knowledge about the product. Its like they're saying you need a subscription to use the remote touch controller. Ridiculous.

Then of course "its wonderfully intuitive" yet, here are all the things that make it unusable.

3. Unlit Temperature Control Buttons

No one likes jumbling their fingers across the center console in hopes of finding the right button. It's terribly distracting and just downright dangerous to do. Unfortunately, this is a common problem seen on the 2010 Lexus RX350s. The least that Lexus could have done is to make a tactile button that we could distinguish without having to look down all the time.
Again, no clue what they are talking about. The image they use is of the IS and RC temp controls, the 2010 Lexus RX has buttons totally unlike this, and they are in fact tactile buttons as the posts says it should have, and yes, they are backlit despite the fact that the author says they aren't.

Leave the Lexus vehicle content to those who actually know something about Lexus vehicles. This is content for the sake of having content, it has no value. Plenty of value here to not waste space with fluff like this.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-07-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 09:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^ I thought you could still get a 2011 IS250 in a manual, no?
Old 01-07-17, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I thought you could still get a 2011 IS250 in a manual, no?
You (apparently) could through 2012 in some markets, but not necessarily in the U.S.
Old 01-07-17, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Not in the US, and even in 2IS models in general they were incredibly rare when you could get them.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-07-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 12:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

They had it at least through 2010 in the US. Here's one:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3383/overview/

Edit: per Lexus press release, manual IS was available in the US through 2012 model year.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus/201...specs.download

Last edited by JDR76; 01-07-17 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 01:11 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Whining engine noise

inability to upgrade Nav firmware to match latest version Lexus

double pane windows up front & not in rear (4GS)

no no manual transmission options for GS models

led light bulbs in dome light old school yellow bulbs in other areas.

Quick Reply: Lexus Owners' 5 Least Favorite Features on Their Cars