Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Faraday Future FF 91 Debut

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 08:12 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Faraday Future FF 91 Debut

The Faraday Future FF 91 was just debuted. Here are some specs:

200kw* DC charging (vs. Tesla’s current 145kW) peak charge rate is 500 miles per hour
130kWh of battery life
370 miles of EPA range (LA to Silicon Valley with miles to spare) 400 miles at 55mph
1050 horsepower
0-60- 2.44 secs.

Here's a link to the live blog and entire debut video:
https://electrek.co/2017/01/03/farad...up-or-shut-up/
Attached Thumbnails Faraday Future FF 91 Debut-photo147.jpg  
Old 01-04-17, 12:55 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting. Not too gung-ho over the body, but it looks spacious and modern enough. Wasn't turned on by the glitches, malfunctions, dirty car, and unfinished interior. And I find it laughable how everyone is going nuts trying to go 0-60 in two seconds. A feature virtually no one can use in real life or without consequence. Just how far out of one's way will a company go to have that lowest number is beyond me.
I do wish them well though. A project of this magnitude commands respect. In the late 2000's, I worked with a young man just finishing up high school in Encino, CA. Like myself, he was a car nut and we'd often spend afternoons talking about the latest car news (instead of working). He was deeply into it, and didn't even have his license yet. Once he graduated, he relocated to Flint Michigan, to take advantage of a auto-related scholarship. Two years later, he got picked up by this new company no one had heard about - Faraday. I didn't really give it much thought other than just being happy he got a real job and his education was going somewhere. As the years peeled over, and the brand starting making news, I took the whole thing more seriously. He'd come back to my work to visit while on vacations, and often had a competitor's model for testing purposes and comparisons. Of course, he'd allow me to ride or drive in our store's back parking lot. It was cool. Then a good chunk of time went by where I didn't hear anything from him through his family or Facebook. These were the days the company starting building the FF91, and everything went to secret. Tonight's reveal answers a lot.
I wish them well and look forward to how this pans out.
Old 01-04-17, 03:24 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Im sorry... I don't care how fast it is its still UGLY. Its borderline Pontiac Aztec ugly
Old 01-04-17, 03:27 AM
thoiboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Model X Cyclops brother..
Old 01-04-17, 10:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

To me, this is way way better than the ugly i3. I'd go for it.
Old 01-04-17, 10:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
Im sorry... I don't care how fast it is its still UGLY. Its borderline Pontiac Aztec ugly
I think it's worse the Aztec was trying to be different aka ugly this is supposed to be a sleek futuristic must have car. But it looks like an awkward blob.
Old 01-04-17, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's ugly, but not as ugly as some other new vehicles I've seen lately, such as the new Prius.
Old 01-04-17, 12:09 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I find it more attractive than the current gen Prius (which isn't saying much lol).

It was funny (cringeworthy really) when they activated the auto park feature and the car would not budge. Wasn't great to see the car fail on its big debut. Then they followed that with Le Eco's founder, who was very difficult to follow.
Old 01-04-17, 12:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's like an all-electric Venza. $5,000 reservation
Old 01-04-17, 03:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's ugly, but not as ugly as some other new vehicles I've seen lately, such as the new Prius.
I'd completely agree with that statement. The Prius is in a league of it's own as far as ugliness. Much worse than the Aztek in my opinion.
Old 01-04-17, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd completely agree with that statement. The Prius is in a league of it's own as far as ugliness. Much worse than the Aztek in my opinion.
I don't want to drag the thread too far off-topic, but even the Aztek showed that beauty is often in the eyes of the beholder. Shortly after he retired (he asked for my help), I went shopping with my ex-supervisor to help him find a big GMC Yukon XL (Suburban). At the Pontiac/GMC shop we were at, while we were checking out a silver Yukon, a fairly young couple (maybe in their late 20s?) came in and were immediately smitten by a white Aztek parked a coupe of spaces down from the Yukon. A salesman came out, helped them, they took a test-drive, and took it home a little later that afternoon.....about the same time my ex-boss took home his new Yukon.
Old 01-04-17, 06:09 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I watched the premier presentation, it was awkward and they did not mention this was a top end luxury sedan (looks like it by how much room they gave the rear seats and how epic they look). Though the driverless valet was their shining moment, they sort of failed to emphasize this car to the correct market. I don't know, all tech media is still talking about it though. They brought out the Bentayga, 488, Model S and X and accelerated them out of them then accelerated their own car after wards, I don't know why they did that...
Old 01-04-17, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a link to another article with more info and more pictures:

http://newatlas.com/faraday-future-ff91-revealed/47204/?li_source=LI&li_medium=default-widgetFaraday

Future FF91: 1050 horsepower, more torque than a Mack truck, class-leading range and charging times, and 0-60 in 2.39 seconds. It's a beast.(Credit: Faraday Future)
VIEW GALLERY - 23 IMAGESFaraday Future might be making some of the most exciting electric cars on the market right now, but if I ever have to watch one of their presentations again, I may leap in front of one just to end the pain. In an excruciating 90-minute cringe-fest at CES Las Vegas, the company told the assembled masses it wasn't building an electric car, it was building the "first of a new species," and preparing to "reformat the auto industry."

I suspect company leadership will look back and wish it had reformatted the presentation. The long-awaited reveal of the FF91, Faraday Future's first flagship consumer car, was nearly buried under a ceaseless torrent of buzzwords, unnecessary demonstrations and embarrassing ****-ups.

In a boring and drawn-out car-by-car drag race, the FF91 edged out Tesla's Model S P100D by just 1/100th of a second, prompting propulsion VP Peter Savagian to claim it would do much better if the stage wasn't so dusty, and the Tesla didn't have such grippy tires on.

Then, as CEO Nick Samson asked YT Jia, CEO of LeEco, to hit the button to make the car park itself center stage, the audience was treated to a 30-second wait as the car did … well, nothing, prompting Samson to scramble for explanations like "as a new baby, she's often very, very timid." Five minutes later, he tried again, and this time, after an agonizing 20-second wait, it rolled three meters forward, to a smattering of bemused applause from the CES crowd.

Please, Faraday Future, cut down on the onanism and keep the next one to 20 minutes. Leave us wanting more, not pining for the sweet release of death.

Now that we've got that out of the way, the car itself looks pretty terrific.

Face-melting performance figures

Performance-wise, the FF91 sedan makes about 1,050 horsepower and a ludicrous "over 1,800 Newton-meters" of torque. For reference, an 11-liter MP7 diesel enginefrom a frickin' Mack semi-trailer makes "just" 1,627 Nm of torque, and it certainly doesn't smash it out from idle like the Faraday powertrain does.

With super-quick traction control operating, the FF91 is said to be able to accelerate from 0-60 in an eye-watering 2.39 seconds. If you dropped this thing off a cliff, it'd take 2.75 seconds to reach the same velocity. It's a clear demonstration that EV acceleration will really only be limited by the tire-to-road friction interface as the segment progresses.

An interesting tidbit thrown into the launch is that the FF91 will attempt to proactively adjust performance and handling depending on road conditions and your driving style.

Batteries and charging

Battery-wise, the FF91 boasts the biggest battery pack yet seen in a production EV – some 130 kilowatt-hours of capacity, leading to an impressive 378-mile (608-km) range, on the EPA adjusted test. On Europe's gentler NEDC test it gets even more – over 435 mi (700 km), and the car will go a very impressive 482 mi (776 km) at 55 mph (89 km/h).

Even more impressive are the DC quick charge stations Faraday is working on, which will pump power in at up to 200 kilowatts – a massive improvement on Tesla's 120 kW supercharger stations. That kind of charge rate represents about 500 miles (805 km) of range per hour, an extraordinary achievement. The company is also working on wireless charging.

Autonomous driving and driverless valet

Faraday Future hopes to up the ante in self-driving systems with the FF91, in particular by boosting the car's ability to see and read the road. It features 10 outward facing cameras (the Tesla has 8), 13 radars (the Tesla has 1), and 12 ultrasonic sensors (the Tesla's got 12, too).

It's also got a 360-degree "3D" Lidar sensor, in the form of a little disc that rises up out of the hood and becomes one of the FF91's most recognizable design features.

While it's unclear as yet how well the self-drive system will work (there's some suggestion that it will use deep learning to build its driving model), Faraday has built in a very nifty feature called the driverless valet, which lets you effectively drop yourself off at the front door of wherever you're going, and the car will wander around looking for a place to park itself, and send you a message when it does.

Clearly that's dubious from a legal perspective at this point, and indeed it's hard to see how it would work in a real-world scenario, but in the CES parking demo it worked well, driving up and down the rows of parked cars to find a spot, and reversing neatly in.

Connectivity and comfort

Faraday Future is keen to make the FF91 a big leap forward in connectivity. It features multiple modems and Wi-Fi hotspots, as well as individual HD screens for everyone in the car and "zero gravity" vented back seats that recline up to 60 degrees back for extreme passenger comfort.

User profiles, activated by menus, Bluetooth or even face recognition, save each person's preferences for entertainment, ergonomics, climate and whatever other tricks the car has up its sleeve through a system called FFID, and it appears this system will integrate with smartphones, PCs and other devices so you never have to take your eyes off whatever you're watching or reading. The goal here is seamless motion between the many screens and speakers in your life.

Pricing and availability

No final price was revealed today, although the company stressed that the FF91 will be priced as a "premium flagship model" – and given the level of specification and performance, as well as that giant battery, we can expect it'll be hefty.

For US$5,000, people to whom price doesn't matter (and there's plenty of those in the Valley) can reserve one now, and "Alliance" special editions will begin to ship in March.

Source: Faraday Future

VIEW GALLERY - 23 IMAGES

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-17 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 01:18 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Its not necessarily ugly, its futuristic. It just doesn't look like cars today and its hard for a large majority of people to understand or embrace change. Like anything thats new, there will be early adopters and there will be the laggards.

In a few years when some of these cars start hitting the streets for some time we will hear the same people who called this car ugly say things like, "after seeing it in person, its starting to grow on me".
Old 01-05-17, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Its not necessarily ugly, its futuristic. It just doesn't look like cars today and its hard for a large majority of people to understand or embrace change. Like anything thats new, there will be early adopters and there will be the laggards.

In a few years when some of these cars start hitting the streets for some time we will hear the same people who called this car ugly say things like, "after seeing it in person, its starting to grow on me".
Maybe, maybe not. I agree with you that change comes slowly to some people (even me LOL). But not every new and radically different design eventually wins public acceptance. Despite the unusual situation I described above that I saw one afternoon with the Pontiac Aztek, there's an example of a design that never won public acceptance...and, indeed, helped lead to Pontiac's demise.

Quick Reply: Faraday Future FF 91 Debut