Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'm sorry but is Lexus ever going to stop the dang "Predator" mouth grille? (repost)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 05:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

I saw a new MDX on the road the other day, and the awful beak is basically gone. Those who remember what it looked like before will still see hints of it, but the new grill borders on attractive.

So there is hope! Unfortunately, if Acura is any guide, it means the spindle will be with us in something akin to its current form for 10-15 years.
Old 01-02-17, 05:52 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 4 lexuses, 2 SC430's, an ES and now a '13 GS, I have decided the new GS grille is over the top and I can't imagine it will age well. No debate about the overall execution of the brand and maybe they think this will help bring younger newer blood to the marquis, but I am tapping out for now.
JTMav
Old 01-02-17, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Lexus made a decision to ditch the aging customer base to compete for the future, which are younger buyers.
I see that argument made all the time, not only about Lexus but Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln, and some other makes as as well. Fine....there's nothing wrong per se about going after younger buyers or increasing sales appeal. But two basic errors are often made in that process. First, the idea that younger buyers are primarily interested in sport over comfort (some are, of course, but it is not the big stereotype the auto press makes it out to be). Second, aging car buyers (or at least those in their 50s-early 60s, just before retirement, are often the ones with the most disposable income available to spend on new cars. I'm not saying that young people don't necessarily have money to spend on cars (or don't have rich parents who will buy them new cars)...but the average person in their 20s or 30s has usually not worked as long or saved as much as someone who is middle-aged and approaching retirement, or has saved up as much. Of course, after retirement, disposable income often drops....and the ability to buy new cars with it. But the people in the age-bracket (with the (typical) highest incomes usually aren't looking for something strongly sport-oriented...they will either have outgrown that urge or never really had it strongly in the first place.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-17 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-02-17, 06:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

A lot of the folks on the board got on when Lexus was arguably at their peak in the late 90s. If you look at what they were doing then vs. what they're doing now, it's a little disappointing. Handling has gotten a lot better, but engines have been lagging for a while and their in cabin tech is just bad. I do like the new spindles in most applications, especially on the SUVs, but I don't regret getting a '15 over the refreshed '16s
Old 01-02-17, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
A lot of the folks on the board got on when Lexus was arguably at their peak in the late 90s. If you look at what they were doing then vs. what they're doing now, it's a little disappointing. Handling has gotten a lot better, but engines have been lagging for a while and their in cabin tech is just bad. I do like the new spindles in most applications, especially on the SUVs, but I don't regret getting a '15 over the refreshed '16s
Because of firmer suspensions, larger wheels, and lower-profile tires, average ride comfort (overall) has also fallen since then, even on some models with the adjustable Comfort/Normal/Sport suspension-settings.
Old 01-02-17, 06:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I saw a new MDX on the road the other day, and the awful beak is basically gone. Those who remember what it looked like before will still see hints of it, but the new grill borders on attractive.

So there is hope! Unfortunately, if Acura is any guide, it means the spindle will be with us in something akin to its current form for 10-15 years.
I remember the kerfuffle about the beak when it first came out. The comments here and in the auto press were brutal, and now it's history. I agree the new Acura grill isn't bad at all. I agree that the spindle will be around for a while and will probably be revised and tweaked as necessary to keep up with trends.

I realize that Lexus is definitely going after a younger market, they had to. This move doesn't include me though, but that's fine, there are a lot of good alternatives out there. When we replaced our Q5 we really wanted to go with an NX or RX but for us (especially my wife), the exterior styling was a no go at this time.
Old 01-02-17, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
They just keep rolling that trash out there. It's ugly and ruins an otherwise great machine.
I don't see what the big deal is, if you don't like it, then go somewhere else.
Old 01-02-17, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I remember the kerfuffle about the beak when it first came out. The comments here and in the auto press were brutal, and now it's history.
But that's the problem, though. It simply took too long for the parrot-beaks to become history. No one can argue that Acura hasn't suffered because of it....and because of their worsening reliability records.
Old 01-02-17, 06:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Because of firmer suspensions, larger wheels, and lower-profile tires, average ride comfort (overall) has also fallen since then, even on some models with the adjustable Comfort/Normal/Sport suspension-settings.
But that's an auto industry problem that isn't unique to Lexus. Most people want a more engaging drive and old floaty suspensions are out.

Lots of assumptions coming up in the next couple of sentences so no one get offended The older folks that like the floaty suspensions are more likely to be purchasing a car rather than leasing them. They're also more likely to keep them for a while. If I'm Lexus, am I more interested in the older 1 sale every 10 year customer who likes the floaty ride or the relatively younger 1 lease every 3 year customer who likes a firmer ride?
Old 01-02-17, 07:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

But that's an auto industry problem that isn't unique to Lexus. Most people want a more engaging drive and old floaty suspensions are out.

Lots of assumptions coming up in the next couple of sentences so no one get offended The older folks that like the floaty suspensions are more likely to be purchasing a car rather than leasing them. They're also more likely to keep them for a while. If I'm Lexus, am I more interested in the older 1 sale every 10 year customer who likes the floaty ride or the relatively younger 1 lease every 3 year customer who likes a firmer ride?
Very well said. Less and less of the buying public wants a smooth, quiet, floating ride. Lexus has responded with what the luxury segment buyers are demanding. Ride comfort to one person is totally different than ride comfort to another. The majority of luxury buyers are going after a sporty tuned suspension.
Old 01-02-17, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I agree it is not limited to Lexus by any means. But IMO it would make more sense if our roads weren't in such bad shape. Drive in some of the Snow Belt states, or in and around major cities in the Northeast, and you will see what I'm talking about.

In Germany, where this whole business of firmness and handling (arguably) got started, the roads are mostly glass-smooth, and those with firm suspensions (like in BMW Ms) generally don't have to pound over bumps day and night. Take that same car to New York City, or to Michigan, and it can really do a job on one's kidneys.

Lots of assumptions coming up in the next couple of sentences so no one get offended The older folks that like the floaty suspensions are more likely to be purchasing a car rather than leasing them.
Don't worry, I don't get offended easily. You are also generally a polite poster...some others could learn from your example.

Actually, more seniors are starting to lease nowadays, since, simply for the reason that they are more likely than in their youth to be passing way in the next few years, and leasing frees them from the long-term commitment and responsibilities of ownership.

If I'm Lexus, am I more interested in the older 1 sale every 10 year customer who likes the floaty ride or the relatively younger 1 lease every 3 year customer who likes a firmer ride?
Two things, though. First, the appeal of ride comfort is not just linked to seniors. Many younger people like comfort, too....and yes, in contrast, some old folks still like to go through the twisties LOL. Second, older doesn't necessarily mean fewer sales....as I pointed to above, those in the age bracket just before retirement often have the most disposable income to spend on new cars.

We all might (?) be getting a little off-topic, though. We were originally talking about the spindle-grilles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-02-17, 07:32 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Yeah but spindle grill threads always devolve to everything that's wrong with Lexus threads Like Jill said, comfort is relative to the driver of the specific car. I think my GS is really comfortable in both normal and sport+ modes, just in different ways - overall comfort vs. confidence to take a turn at my chosen speed.

To get back on topic, I still like the spindles, but as we look for a replacement for my wife's CX-5, we're leaning more towards a Q7 than a GX (7 seaters so no RX fits the bill) both from an engine perspective and because it's not our favorite iteration of the grill. If the RX had a 3rd row option, it'd likely be the top choice
Old 01-02-17, 08:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But that's the problem, though. It simply took too long for the parrot-beaks to become history. No one can argue that Acura hasn't suffered because of it....and because of their worsening reliability records.
as an aside, i wasn't aware that acura's reliability records were worsening. i was under the impression that it was one of the most reliable marques one could purchase from. honda makes some damn reliable machines.
Old 01-02-17, 09:45 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I like the grill and the way it drives now.

in business world, if you sell more AND profit more then you are successful.
Old 01-02-17, 09:51 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the masses have stopped caring what a vehicle actually looks like, how it drives, and if there's even an ounce of build quality that went into it.

They only care about getting a good deal, free maintenance program, and most importantly as much electronics and gizmos in it as possible.

If people still cared about how a vehicle looked, brands like Lexus, Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota and many others would be in big trouble since half of their cars look like some kind of mixture of a monster or goofy Disney character.

Quick Reply: I'm sorry but is Lexus ever going to stop the dang "Predator" mouth grille? (repost)