Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California 2017: you'll get a ticket just for handling your phone while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 11:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default California 2017: you'll get a ticket just for handling your phone while driving

Under new California Law starting Jan 1st 2017, via AB 1785, drivers cannot hold or operate their devices for any reason.

Exceptions are functions that require only a single swipe or tap of the driver’s finger, as long as the phone is mounted in the car.

You'll get a ticket just by touching your phone now:
Old 12-30-16, 11:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good. New York has 5 point penatly for texting and driving, but it's barely enforced. It is infuriating to see all the already lousy drivers being distracted by their phones.
Old 12-30-16, 11:47 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't understand the need to constantly be on the smartphone. People say they need to stay connected to others. That's funny because when they are around other people they are still on their phone. They don't say a word to the people with them. So that reason doesn't really hold water. It's a darn addiction that trumps real socializing and common sense.
Old 12-30-16, 11:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it!
Old 12-30-16, 12:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cool so if i mess around with my infotainment (explicitly allowed by the law) its ok but dont you dare touch that phone. Makes sense

loophole is to use your phone by proxy using android auto or apple car play (which maybe slower thus a greater distraction than the actual phone ironically) which does not solve the issue of distraction

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-30-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 12-30-16, 12:41 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

amen to that.
Old 12-30-16, 01:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

yeah, the cops will enforce that about as well as they enforce the existing law, the HOV lane laws, the unsafe lane change laws, running red light laws, etc etc etc.

california traffic enforcement is a joke. I actually saw a asshat run a red light today and nearly hit a pedestrian right in front of a highway patrol SUV, and the LEO did nothing.

car was making a right on a red, never slowed down just rolled through the light and had to slam on it's brakes to avoid the person crossing the street and in the rain it slid sideways.. Cop was sitting at the opposing red light in the left turn lane and did nothing, the driver honked at the pedestrian and then sped off and the CHP officer just sat there.

This law is just another money grab law, something the LEOs will tack onto your ticket if they pull you over for something else.
Old 12-30-16, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good idea. I like it.
Old 12-30-16, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
This law is just another money grab law, something the LEOs will tack onto your ticket if they pull you over for something else.
Perhaps so, but (still) the best way to keep your own money in your own pocket is to simply follow the rules.
Old 12-30-16, 01:17 PM
thoiboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank goodness
Old 12-30-16, 01:19 PM
thoiboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjeds
yeah, the cops will enforce that about as well as they enforce the existing law, the HOV lane laws, the unsafe lane change laws, running red light laws, etc etc etc.

california traffic enforcement is a joke. I actually saw a asshat run a red light today and nearly hit a pedestrian right in front of a highway patrol SUV, and the LEO did nothing.

car was making a right on a red, never slowed down just rolled through the light and had to slam on it's brakes to avoid the person crossing the street and in the rain it slid sideways.. Cop was sitting at the opposing red light in the left turn lane and did nothing, the driver honked at the pedestrian and then sped off and the CHP officer just sat there.

Your complaint about them not enforcing laws and then calling it a money grab is contradictory . If it was a money grab, wouldn't they want to enforce more of it. I'm all for so called 'money grab laws' so long as they increase the safety of those around .
Old 12-30-16, 01:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats why its only $20/50 fine, no ones going to fight that, just pay up
Old 12-30-16, 02:36 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Your complaint about them not enforcing laws and then calling it a money grab is contradictory . If it was a money grab, wouldn't they want to enforce more of it. I'm all for so called 'money grab laws' so long as they increase the safety of those around .
no it's not contradictory. if you read my last sentence. it's a tack on law. In CA a speeding ticket 20 over is about $570 with all the taxes and penalty assessment fees they add on. now put a $50 distracted driving fine to it, with the 210% penalty added to the fine, that adds another $105 to the $570 ticket.

money grab.

Cops don't directly enforce the distracted driving laws, they use them as a tack on fine. I've had multiple LEOs tell me this from several departments, they won't pull you over for handling the phone, they will pull you over something else and just add this on..

doesn't phase me, my phone is docked and I don't take calls or texts while I drive... Never have, never will.
Old 12-30-16, 06:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Under new California Law starting Jan 1st 2017, via AB 1785, drivers cannot hold or operate their devices for any reason.

Exceptions are functions that require only a single swipe or tap of the driver’s finger, as long as the phone is mounted in the car.

You'll get a ticket just by touching your phone now:
I can't really be upset with this. Everyone has their personal rationalizations why it's fine for them--I was at a red light so I'm not "driving"; I was posting to Facebook, not "texting"; well, infotainment/eating/etc, etc is also a "distraction", so why is that ok? This makes it clear. The fact is, unless a cop actually sees you doing it, they can't ticket you anyway.

Quick Reply: California 2017: you'll get a ticket just for handling your phone while driving