Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 09:40 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette

The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette
By Thomas Mabson
Old 12-29-16, 02:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

3. Don't Park Where You're Not Supposed To

This is for the people who park in handicap spaces, electric vehicle charging spots, striped areas, and everything else where you know it does not apply to you or is illegal. For one, it's a bad thing to do as you will be taking away from some individual or even an emergency vehicle from being able to access the space that they need. Two, it's tons of bad karma. Sure you're in a rush and you'll only be a moment but will it be worth it if you end up getting a hefty ticket or even towed?

Handicapped spaces? No
Fire lane? Don't be so lazy
EV spots? C'mon--that's wrong

But these 2 cars in the striped areas? I'm happy to let that go. More real spaces for me, and not obstructing me at all.
Attached Thumbnails The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette-no-parking-here.jpg  
Old 12-29-16, 02:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Seeing more and more of this thanks to cell phones: Crowded parking lot with people waiting for spaces- person gets in car, turns it on, turns on lights, but does not back out. This is with people waiting behind to take space. If one needs to use the phone while parked, that is fine. But don't turn on the car and put lights or reverse lights on if you aren't going to back out. Totally rude.
Another longterm problem in lots has been caused by General Motors. They continue to equip many of their cars and trucks with reverse lights that go on once someone disarms the vehicle. This fools everyone driving by the spot that the car could be backing up. Also dangerous to have reverse lights go on when not actually in reverse. Shame on GM.
Old 12-29-16, 02:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

Handicapped spaces? No
Fire lane? Don't be so lazy
EV spots? C'mon--that's wrong

I've done this before. Locked the bike so it doesn't move.

Decided to have dinner and watch a movie.

The car was still there five hours later...

Old 12-29-16, 02:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Ugh, i hate it when people sit in their cars with their lights on. It is really very rude. However, I just got my 2017 E class and the headlight switch does not have an off mode. So I can't even manually turn them off and have to sit with the ACC off too
Old 12-29-16, 03:04 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Another longterm problem in lots has been caused by General Motors. They continue to equip many of their cars and trucks with reverse lights that go on once someone disarms the vehicle. This fools everyone driving by the spot that the car could be backing up. Also dangerous to have reverse lights go on when not actually in reverse. Shame on GM.

I know know I hate that. I think that was an idiotic design.
Old 12-29-16, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

True, it may make for some unnecessary caution now and then....but I'd rather err on the side of safety, and have to stop one or two extra times, than go home with a crumpled fender.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 04:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Seeing more and more of this thanks to cell phones: Crowded parking lot with people waiting for spaces- person gets in car, turns it on, turns on lights, but does not back out. This is with people waiting behind to take space. If one needs to use the phone while parked, that is fine. But don't turn on the car and put lights or reverse lights on if you aren't going to back out. Totally rude.
I guaranty that one main contributor to this is auto headlights. People become so programed by these that they forget that their car has a headlight switch, to the point where they just can't think for themselves anymore. They don't think to turn them off in that situation, and they don't think to turn them on while driving down a dark road having no clue that their headlights aren't even on -- I see this: Every. Single. Day.

OK--I thought I was the only one who didn't like this.
Old 12-29-16, 04:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
However, I just got my 2017 E class and the headlight switch does not have an off mode. So I can't even manually turn them off and have to sit with the ACC off too
How is this possible?
Old 12-29-16, 08:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How is this possible?
Not to hijack this thread, but this is what the switch looks like. What used to be the off position is now auto.

Old 12-30-16, 06:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Not to hijack this thread, but this is what the switch looks like. What used to be the off position is now auto.

Old 12-30-16, 10:10 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Reminds me of some late 90's/early 2000's GM cars that came standard with auto-headlights. The off position was really "automatic" and they'd turn on automatically at night unless you started the car with the handbrake pulled. I know on 90's Camaros there is an easy way to rewire the headlight switch to where off really means off but you lose the automatic feature.
Old 12-30-16, 06:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just hate when I'm loading up a full trunk load of groceries or what have you, plus my two kids in car seats, and there's someone waiting for my spot with a signal one, and these an open spot 4 spots away that they could take.
Old 12-30-16, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ugh, i hate it when people sit in their cars with their lights on. It is really very rude. However, I just got my 2017 E class and the headlight switch does not have an off mode. So I can't even manually turn them off and have to sit with the ACC off too
One of my pet peeves as well. I travel a lot, and just imagine this at the airport when spaces are limited and you don't know whether the person is arriving or leaving.
Old 12-30-16, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Reminds me of some late 90's/early 2000's GM cars that came standard with auto-headlights. The off position was really "automatic" and they'd turn on automatically at night unless you started the car with the handbrake pulled. I know on 90's Camaros there is an easy way to rewire the headlight switch to where off really means off but you lose the automatic feature.
This was just a head start by GM, looking forward to the time when Daytime Running Lights and/or auto-on headlights would either become universal or required by many jurisdictions during bad weather. Here in Virginia, for instance, we have had a rule for years that the headlights (or DRLs) have to be on, even in daylight, when it is raining, wipers are on, or forward visibility is less than 500 feet.

Quick Reply: The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette