Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Legal or Not: License plate with no state name

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 08:10 PM
amonobanji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal or Not: License plate with no state name

Hi,
I want to customize my plate not through DMV because I want to get rid of "Oregon" "Florida" "California" name on my license plate.
Is it even legal to not have state name?
Thanks!
Old 12-25-16, 06:11 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

No. Not legal.
Old 12-25-16, 07:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL, amonobanji, and Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays), as would be appropriate for you.

As of now, license plates in virtually all areas have to be identified with the name of that jurisdiction (state, D.C., territory, or Government vehicle). But, given the advances in technology, and the ability of police to electronically scan plates with readers and get info, license plates as we know them (and how they are identified) may soon be getting some major changes.
Old 12-25-16, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
I want to get rid of the numbers on my license plate. Is it legal?
Sure...as long as you keep the letters LOL
Old 12-25-16, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by amonobanji
Hi,
I want to customize my plate not through DMV because I want to get rid of "Oregon" "Florida" "California" name on my license plate.
Thanks!
Of course not. License plates are only valid/legal if they are issued by the state DMV.
Old 12-25-16, 11:12 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just "Steve Jobs" it
Old 12-25-16, 06:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought that someone had bumped an April Fool's Day thread!
Old 12-25-16, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, police in many jurisdictions today do have tools where they can quickly scan plates and instantly get a whole registration-history of the car, and the criminal history of its owner. But, as of now, that data is mostly in remote computers, not in the metal plates themselves. Eventually, plate-technology may get to the point where information is stored in the plates themselves (somewhat like the chips on credit cards and electronic building-passes) , and the point the OP makes about not having traditional state-markings may be more realistic. Of course, having external markings on the plates helps in witnesses identifying vehicles used in crimes, and are a help to law enforcement.
Old 12-25-16, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bottom line is that today the answer to his question is no.
Old 12-25-16, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Bottom line is that today the answer to his question is no.
Yep....and if one does not like the appearance of license plates (or state IDs on the plate), probably the best thing he or she could do is simply live in a state where front-plates are not required. That at least cuts the amount of frustration in half LOL.
Old 12-25-16, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And look into the optional plates available. Most states have multiple plate options.
Old 12-26-16, 07:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by amonobanji
Hi,
Thanks!
Just call your state's DMV and ask them if it's OK to go ahead with this on your own.
Old 12-26-16, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
Of which none are "not display the State of registration".
Correct lol
Old 12-26-16, 08:14 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, police in many jurisdictions today do have tools where they can quickly scan plates and instantly get a whole registration-history of the car, and the criminal history of its owner. But, as of now, that data is mostly in remote computers, not in the metal plates themselves. Eventually, plate-technology may get to the point where information is stored in the plates themselves (somewhat like the chips on credit cards and electronic building-passes) , and the point the OP makes about not having traditional state-markings may be more realistic. Of course, having external markings on the plates helps in witnesses identifying vehicles used in crimes, and are a help to law enforcement.
That is incorrect. Pass cards, credit cards and other payment cards (including so-called "stored value" cards) do NOT maintain any information on the card, other than some unique method(s) for identification, which is kept to an absolute, absolute minimum, for security reasons.When scanned, that information is then passed on to the central database to compare and verify the identification.

If more information, including transaction history, were maintained on the card, that would not be secure because a lost card would mean making all your personal information available to whoever picks up the card and has the (easily acquired) technology to read the card.

For the same reason, no information is stored on a licence plate, other than the identification information, which includes all of the following: the number, the state (or province) of registration and any proof of payment of maintaining registration.

Just as it is illegal to drive around with an expired registration (a sticker may prove that you paid up), it is illegal to make other identification information not visible. It may even be illegal to cover the plate with a "transparent" cover because it may make the plate not visible from certain angles.
Old 12-26-16, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is incorrect. Pass cards, credit cards and other payment cards (including so-called "stored value" cards) do NOT maintain any information on the card, other than some unique method(s) for identification, which is kept to an absolute, absolute minimum, for security reasons.When scanned, that information is then passed on to the central database to compare and verify the identification.

If more information, including transaction history, were maintained on the card, that would not be secure because a lost card would mean making all your personal information available to whoever picks up the card and has the (easily acquired) technology to read the card.

For the same reason, no information is stored on a licence plate, other than the identification information, which includes all of the following: the number, the state (or province) of registration and any proof of payment of maintaining registration.

Just as it is illegal to drive around with an expired registration (a sticker may prove that you paid up), it is illegal to make other identification information not visible. It may even be illegal to cover the plate with a "transparent" cover because it may make the plate not visible from certain angles.
I worked in the government for decades, and building passes gradually evolved from basically just plastic ID cards to electronic door-unlockers to embedded microchips. The ones they use today, especially at intelligence or security-agencies, are even more advanced than that. You are correct that no information is stored on license plates as of today, but I'm refering to the future. Today, police-scanners can idly read the plates of each passing vehicle and transmit the plate number (even with no electronic data on the plate itself) into a computer.....that's one way police can find stolen cars.

Quick Reply: Legal or Not: License plate with no state name