Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Campaign for Apple Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 05:47 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Campaign for Apple Car Play

Starting a thread to discuss and brainstorm ideas to start a campaign for getting Apple Car Play added to Lexus vehicles... please contribute... To start with, can we start a change.org campaign (or something similar) and get signature from a number of Lexus owners... your thoughts please.
Old 12-13-16, 06:00 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Those one guys were making a product to put CarPlay in Lexus vehicles but sounds like they have run into a roadblock and it might not happen now. Bummer.
Old 12-13-16, 06:32 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an aftermarket CarPlay receiver in another car and have been disappointed with the integration to non-Apple apps (e.g. Waze). And comparing the existing RX interface and CarPlay I'm not sure it would be much of an improvement (SIRI, music, messaging). Of course using Apple Maps would eliminate the need to buy the Lexus map updates but that may be a significant reason for Lexus to not include CarPlay.

I'm guessing using Apple Maps would prevent the HUD from displaying next turn information.

CarPlay is usually a feature to sell new cars so we may have a tough time convincing Lexus to add it to prior models.

But count me in as it would be nice to have the option.
Old 12-13-16, 08:39 AM
LexusRX16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus want buyer pay for that stupid enform service, there is no way they're going to bring apple CarPlay or Android auto to their cars
Old 12-13-16, 09:58 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibster
I have an aftermarket CarPlay receiver in another car and have been disappointed with the integration to non-Apple apps (e.g. Waze). And comparing the existing RX interface and CarPlay I'm not sure it would be much of an improvement (SIRI, music, messaging). Of course using Apple Maps would eliminate the need to buy the Lexus map updates but that may be a significant reason for Lexus to not include CarPlay.

I'm guessing using Apple Maps would prevent the HUD from displaying next turn information.

CarPlay is usually a feature to sell new cars so we may have a tough time convincing Lexus to add it to prior models.

But count me in as it would be nice to have the option.
Count me in as wanting to have CarPlay too.

My 2017 model has Scout GPS link, so that discounts Lexus not wanting to loose money on map data. I have not used Scout GPS link to see if it interacts with the HUD. The reviews are pretty bad on this app. Makes me wonder why they took the effort of integrating Scout GPS link, but not CarPlay... At least Lexus supports Siri Eyes Free...
Old 12-13-16, 01:35 PM
Gibster
Driver

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Count me in as wanting to have CarPlay too.

My 2017 model has Scout GPS link, so that discounts Lexus not wanting to loose money on map data. I have not used Scout GPS link to see if it interacts with the HUD. The reviews are pretty bad on this app. Makes me wonder why they took the effort of integrating Scout GPS link, but not CarPlay... At least Lexus supports Siri Eyes Free...
Good point about Scout GPS. My guess is that CarPlay must have some pretty expensive licensing.
Old 12-13-16, 04:10 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Originally Posted by Gibster
Good point about Scout GPS. My guess is that CarPlay must have some pretty expensive licensing.
If anybody Can buy expensive licensing I assume Lexus would be on top of the list. Even cheap Honda and Kia have apple CarPlay.
Old 12-13-16, 05:00 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

No kidding...my brother is looking at a lease for his 16 y.o. with Civics and Elantras. These are sub $20k cars and THEY have Car Play but my $65k Lexus doesn't. Sad.
Old 12-13-16, 05:42 PM
s2000zr
Driver

If Lexus chose to not include Apple car play. Then They really need to come up with a new way to enter in destination address. Like use our phone as keyboard to search/enter in address then, we could send it to the Lexus map via Bluetooth or lighting cable.

As of right now, I feel like it takes me 5 minutes to enter in a address. That's got to be the worst interface on this earth. I don't even use the Lexus map anymore.

I can't believe how fast and easy Apple car play is.
Old 12-13-16, 07:12 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
If Lexus chose to not include Apple car play. Then They really need to come up with a new way to enter in destination address. Like use our phone as keyboard to search/enter in address then, we could send it to the Lexus map via Bluetooth or lighting cable.
Enter and save an address in the Enform app on your phone and then access the saved address in the Saved Destinations app on the Enform in your Lexus.

Last edited by Kansas; 12-13-16 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-13-16, 08:22 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr

As of right now, I feel like it takes me 5 minutes to enter in a address. That's got to be the worst interface on this earth. I don't even use the Lexus map anymore.

I can't believe how fast and easy Apple car play is.
Using the phone for keyboard would be really nice. Apple has a nice implementation of remote for Apple TV over Bluetooth. When you get an entry field on your Apple TV, the keyboard pops up in your phone. Otherwise, there is a trackpad area to move the cursor on the screen. Lexus could do an app like that. However, Lexus apps do not support any of the new iOS screen sizes, so I do not have much hope for them.

Would be really nice if they published an API and let others write the remote app. If Lexus can work with Scout GPS, they can work with Apple on CarPlay. The Apple developer pages has some good introduction.
Old 12-14-16, 03:55 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Using the phone for keyboard would be really nice.introduction.
Did you see my previous post in this thread where I said "Enter and save an address in the Enform app on your phone and then access the saved address in the Saved Destinations app on the Enform in your Lexus."?
Old 12-14-16, 05:58 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How about the change.org petition

Since we have good support for this initiative how about starting the change.org petition? Please let me know if someone can help me with the wordings (as English is not my first language or my mother tongue). Please add the wordings to this thread and i will create the petition. Thanks in Advance.
Old 12-14-16, 07:36 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

More than anything we need a software/firmware update to support it, not just future models. Although you know it won't happen.
Old 12-14-16, 08:52 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rbclt
Since we have good support for this initiative how about starting the change.org petition? Please let me know if someone can help me with the wordings (as English is not my first language or my mother tongue). Please add the wordings to this thread and i will create the petition. Thanks in Advance.
This thread is pointless. Toyota is completely aware of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and Toyota's stance on this issue has been in the auto industry news for some years now. A petition is silly.

Maybe Toyota may someday offer CarPlay and Android Auto but, if it does, it certainly isn't going to retrofit previously sold vehicles.

Quick Reply: Campaign for Apple Car Play