Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

That car you've driven from 7 miles, to 7k miles, to 77k miles, to 177k miles . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 02:20 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default That car you've driven from 7 miles, to 7k miles, to 77k miles, to 177k miles . . .

Just kind of thought about that yesterday when my dad was cleaning the garage and gave me some of the original sales documents for his 2004 Tacoma(2wd, reg cab, 5 speed base model) that I now own and daily drive. It had 7 miles on it when he took purchase, it now has 177,7xx something on it. Its kind of weird, because I've driven this truck over the years, some distance, when I needed to do truck stuff, I just gave my old man whatever I was driving at the time in exchange.

I swear once I put about 1500lbs worth of concrete pavers in the bed, it rides a lot nicer with a load in it lol.

Its incredible how tight that truck still feels after all those miles, its the lack of rattles, the solid feel of the shiftier, the tight steering and handling, the clutch that doesn't slip, the window winder that still feels like brand new, the door locks, the ignition key that still fits tight as new, I mean this stupid little $12,000 basic piece of transit still feels as tight as it rolled of the assembly line and the interior looks like a new truck. Really the quality is up on par with a Lexus, if you discount stuff like road noise, lack of features, etc.

Despite it being noisy at speed, there is a certain something to that truck that feels tighter and better built than the new 2016 Tacoma. Its hard to put your finger on, but it just feels like that 2004 truck has a slightly tighter tolerance on every single screwed together part vs its new 2016 counterpart.

Last edited by Aron9000; 12-08-16 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 04:44 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
..it rides a lot nicer with a load in it lol.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

My old '06 IS 350 is like that.. I bought it brand new (<10 miles on odo, IIRC), drove it for 90K miles, then sold it to my buddy who still daily drives it. I don't remember how many miles it currently has, but I think it's close to 175K. Even though it's had several collision repairs, it still feels very solid & drives great. I went for a ride with him recently & we were talking about how he still needs to remind passengers to not slam the doors when exiting. They still close smoothly & precisely, with little force, just like they did on day 1.

I don't know where your Taco was built, but I think Toyotas built in Japan typically have better fit & finish compared to those built elsewhere.

-Mike
Old 12-08-16, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Despite it being noisy at speed, there is a certain something to that truck that feels tighter and better built than the new 2016 Tacoma. Its hard to put your finger on, but it just feels like that 2004 truck has a slightly tighter tolerance on every single screwed together part vs its new 2016 counterpart.
If you take out the fact that you are attached to the car, the 2016 is leaps, and bounds a better vehicle in every respect.
Old 12-08-16, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I swear once I put about 1500 lbs worth of concrete pavers in the bed, it rides a lot nicer with a load in it lol.
Most pickups do, except perhaps for the newer Dodge Rams, which use coil springs all around, and, by pickup standards, are extremely refined and smooth-riding even when empty.

Its incredible how tight that truck still feels after all those miles, its the lack of rattles, the solid feel of the shiftier, the tight steering and handling, the clutch that doesn't slip, the window winder that still feels like brand new, the door locks, the ignition key that still fits tight as new, I mean this stupid little $12,000 basic piece of transit still feels as tight as it rolled of the assembly line and the interior looks like a new truck. Really the quality is up on par with a Lexus, if you discount stuff like road noise, lack of features, etc.

That is not your imagination. Much of it is real. Toyota products, in general, WERE built with more solid-feeling materials 10-15 years ago than they are today......and those 20 years and older are even more solid-feeling yet.
Old 12-08-16, 03:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Tacomas are nice but I would never say they are on par (or even close) to the feel or quality of a higher $$ Lexus. After owning an LX and sitting in an older 2007 and brand new 2017 Tacoma, they both had a "tin-can" cheap feel to it. I'd still buy one for what it is, a cheaper, reliable vehicle (although with the new gen that's questionable with the issues they have), but it does not feel like a LS,GS,LX,GX at all. Even my 01 ES300 is far more superior in road comfort and feels much tighter at almost 200k miles.

The main issue with Tacomas and probably does not affect you being in TN is the frame recalls they had from rusting out too quickly (cheap thin metal).
Old 12-08-16, 04:12 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

being a Toyota salesman now, I have to say the new Tacoma is actually a surprisingly smooth and very competent vehicle. my manager has a 2015 that I drive in on occasion and the 2016 definitely feels a bit nicer. i actually just sold a 2016 limited the other day (my first Tacoma sale ) so it's funny you bring up the Tacoma. i actually sold a tundra way before I sold a Tacoma...

getting back to the main topic however, my LS 400 pretty much embodies this post. my grandparents bought it brand new, I got it almost 5 years ago with 79,000 miles, and a few weeks ago I just ticked over 150,000 miles. still an UNBELIEVABLY great car, so much better than the cars I have to sell now haha... but I try not to let the customers know that
Old 12-08-16, 04:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Tacomas are nice but I would never say they are on par (or even close) to the feel or quality of a higher $$ Lexus. After owning an LX and sitting in an older 2007 and brand new 2017 Tacoma, they both had a "tin-can" cheap feel to it. I'd still buy one for what it is, a cheaper, reliable vehicle (although with the new gen that's questionable with the issues they have), but it does not feel like a LS,GS,LX,GX at all. Even my 01 ES300 is far more superior in road comfort and feels much tighter at almost 200k miles.

The main issue with Tacomas and probably does not affect you being in TN is the frame recalls they had from rusting out too quickly (cheap thin metal).
I am really not sure what point you are trying to make comparing an LX or GX to a Tacoma. Price points are totally different, I would fully expect a GX or LX to be more solid and better feeling than a base or even loaded Tacoma, if they aren't then Toyota is not doing the right thing with their Lexus brand.

T. Even my 01 ES300 is far more superior in road comfort and feels much tighter at almost 200k miles.
And I am sure a VW Phateon W12 is far, far superior to your 01 ES300. But why not call out the smoothness of a Lexus car and compare it to a Taco.

Agreed, the frames on the Tacomas are not very good. Should of been fully boxed from the get go. Interesting as all the pre-Taco Toyota trucks that were imported from Japan came with fully boxed frames. I never heard of the T100 need a frame recall replacement.
Old 12-08-16, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
being a Toyota salesman now, I have to say the new Tacoma is actually a surprisingly smooth and very competent vehicle. my manager has a 2015 that I drive in on occasion and the 2016 definitely feels a bit nicer. i actually just sold a 2016 limited the other day (my first Tacoma sale ) so it's funny you bring up the Tacoma. i actually sold a tundra way before I sold a Tacoma...

getting back to the main topic however, my LS 400 pretty much embodies this post. my grandparents bought it brand new, I got it almost 5 years ago with 79,000 miles, and a few weeks ago I just ticked over 150,000 miles. still an UNBELIEVABLY great car, so much better than the cars I have to sell now haha... but I try not to let the customers know that
Well, you just repeated the point I've been saying for years....the Toyota/Lexus products of the 1990s (and early 2000s), in build-solidness, were generally superior to those of today.

Oh.....and congratulations on your first Tacoma sale. The Tacoma and GM's Colorado/Canyon twins make a good set of competitors. Might see a third competitor soon, if and when Ford brings back the Ranger.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 06:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am really not sure what point you are trying to make comparing an LX or GX to a Tacoma. Price points are totally different, I would fully expect a GX or LX to be more solid and better feeling than a base or even loaded Tacoma, if they aren't then Toyota is not doing the right thing with their Lexus brand.

And I am sure a VW Phateon W12 is far, far superior to your 01 ES300. But why not call out the smoothness of a Lexus car and compare it to a Taco.

Agreed, the frames on the Tacomas are not very good. Should of been fully boxed from the get go. Interesting as all the pre-Taco Toyota trucks that were imported from Japan came with fully boxed frames. I never heard of the T100 need a frame recall replacement.
Read his post where he says the quality is on par with Lexus...

To me, reliability and quality are two different things. Maybe reliability is on par, but quality is far from it. Quality is all about the feel of a vehicle. And a typical Lexus feels a hell of alot higher quality than any Tacoma I've been in, as it should. Just as a Phaeton will be far superior over an ES...
Old 12-08-16, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To me, reliability and quality are two different things. Maybe reliability is on par, but quality is far from it. Quality is all about the feel of a vehicle.
An excellent example is the Mercedes G-Wagen (Gelandewagen). Though converted to civilian use as a high-end, off-road-capable SUV, it was originally designed in the late 1970s as a military vehicle for the German /Austrian armies. Shut the doors, and they will probably be the closest thing to a true bank-vault feel that you will get today in any mass-production vehicle. And, underneath, the underpinnings are as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. There are three fully-locking differentials...front, center, and rear, for almost every kind of surface-crawling imaginable.
Old 12-08-16, 07:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An excellent example is the Mercedes G-Wagen (Gelandewagen). Though converted to civilian use as a high-end, off-road-capable SUV, it was originally designed in the late 1970s as a military vehicle for the German /Austrian armies. Shut the doors, and they will probably be the closest thing to a true bank-vault feel that you will get today in any mass-production vehicle. And, underneath, the underpinnings are as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. There are three fully-locking differentials...front, center, and rear, for almost every kind of surface-crawling imaginable.
I agree, The G Wagon is definitely in a class of its own. We once had a brand new G63 in the shop and a 2012 Wrangler with about $80k worth of aftermarket mods and although I am sure the Jeep would have been far superior off road the way it was set-up, it felt like something out of a cereal box compared to the feel of the G Wagon. Both cars were a status item for the two owners as neither would probably see even a gravel road around here and both vehicles completely impractical with their horrible fuel economy, driving characteristics, and interior layout.
Old 12-09-16, 12:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

To me, reliability and quality are two different things. Maybe reliability is on par, but quality is far from it. Quality is all about the feel of a vehicle. And a typical Lexus feels a hell of alot higher quality than any Tacoma I've been in, as it should. Just as a Phaeton will be far superior over an ES...
Yes I would agree with you on this. I would argue that the new Tacoma Limited or Platinum ( I think there is a trim level) would be close, on par or maybe better than a Lexus NX or RX. I would also say that the 4Runner Limited is superior to the GX460 which leaves a lot to be desired inside at the GX price point.
Old 12-09-16, 12:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikersoft

I don't know where your Taco was built, but I think Toyotas built in Japan typically have better fit & finish compared to those built elsewhere.
I heard this for decades, however, generally speaking, Toyots built in Japan usually have a higher price point and superior design than Toyota cars that are designed and built in the US. In a blind study, I doubt you will be able to tell difference between an ES made in the US and one made in Japan. Same thing with the RX.