Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

An Icy Pile-Up in Montreal.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 10:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

You would think they would lay down the road salt LONG before the snow came down at a steep intersection like that that's notorious for stuff like this happening. Could have been avoided.
Old 12-10-16, 11:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snow tires aren't needed until December 15th (if I remember correctly). Even with snow tires, this would have happened either way. The street wasn't cleaned and salted.

sigh

Thankfully in 2017 there will be a new municipal election. A lot of people here are fed up with the current mayor.
Old 12-10-16, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You would think they would lay down the road salt LONG before the snow came down at a steep intersection like that that's notorious for stuff like this happening. Could have been avoided.
Maybe salt supplies ran out.....or the icing was worse than expected. We've been surprised a few times in this area as well unforeseen circumstances.

Another thing, too....salt, in general, only works down to about 20-22 degrees F. Below that, you have to use other methods, and other chemicals.
Old 12-11-16, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Snow tires aren't needed until December 15th (if I remember correctly). Even with snow tires, this would have happened either way. The street wasn't cleaned and salted.

sigh

Thankfully in 2017 there will be a new municipal election. A lot of people here are fed up with the current mayor.
Did a quick check. Looks like you are right. The 15th is when one needs snow tires. Up until March 15
Old 12-11-16, 03:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe salt supplies ran out.....or the icing was worse than expected. We've been surprised a few times in this area as well unforeseen circumstances.

Another thing, too....salt, in general, only works down to about 20-22 degrees F. Below that, you have to use other methods, and other chemicals.
"Maybe salt supplies ran out": Salt supplies run out in late-November in Montreal, a city known for its snowfalls?!? Get real! If this is true (and it isn't), Montrealers really deserve the terrible municipal politicians they elected!
Old 12-11-16, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
"Maybe salt supplies ran out": Salt supplies run out in late-November in Montreal, a city known for its snowfalls?!? Get real! If this is true (and it isn't), Montrealers really deserve the terrible municipal politicians they elected!
Never say never. I agree it's unlikely, but the events of the last year have shown us that just about anything is possible.
Old 12-11-16, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I have to agree. To run out of salt in late November is ridiculous. Montreal receives a lot of snow and it's not like Montreal would of all of a sudden forgotten to order salt. No way would I want to drive the 401 across Ontario and into Montreal at this time of year. Many things could of happened to have this happen, likely a lot of freezing rain, a water main leak perhaps that froze as it spewed down that lane. I think this happened on Dec 5.
Old 12-11-16, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, we can discuss the merits all night about whether the street should have been treated beforehand (obviously, it should have), or if there were enough salt-supplies in stock....but that's not really the main issue here. The main reason I posted the video (and I often try to post things that are informative) was to show that, in really tough icing or hard-packed snow conditions, you can't necessarily depend on electronic traction aids, or even snow tires. Most of the time, there just is no substitute for plain old common sense, and keeping one's speed down in slick conditions. Even at just a few MPH, problems can sometimes happen...as this video shows.
Old 12-11-16, 07:40 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quebec drivers are notorious for being quite aggressive. I've seen them out west and believe me, it's like some of the folks think they're at LeMans. I mean Canada's prairie provinces are ridiculous for speeders and tailgaters but even these people will start to slow down and keep some distance from the vehicle in front of them when the weather is really bad. I sometimes wonder if that's why the Quebec government mandated winter tires after observing the effects of aggressive driving in the winter.

You can't expect the city to somehow make up for bad behaviour. Snow clearing yes, but being everywhere to sand/salt/treat every road is going to raise taxes and people don't seem to like that idea either.
Old 12-11-16, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
What do immigrants have to do with this? I am tired of politics after this past messy election. Can we isolate this part of the forum to just car/auto/non political issues? Thank you
To get back on topic, I appreciate the posting as we have these crazy icy roads as well in MN. This posting is a reminder..
Here in Texas, immigrants have a lot to do with the number of accidents we have. I was rear-ended by a kid in a 90's Oldsmobile 88 who took off from the scene of the accident. I'm sure he didn't have insurance, and he probably didn't have a driver's license. My car is in the shop right now. So, no we can't isolate this part of the forum to just car issues.
Old 12-12-16, 09:20 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
You can't expect the city to somehow make up for bad behaviour. Snow clearing yes, but being everywhere to sand/salt/treat every road is going to raise taxes and people don't seem to like that idea either.
But this seemed to be a major thoroughfare that should and would get cleared (plowed and/or salted) first. It is understandable that minor roads (e.g. in residential-only areas) get lower priority for snow clearance.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Here in Texas, immigrants have a lot to do with the number of accidents we have. I was rear-ended by a kid in a 90's Oldsmobile 88 who took off from the scene of the accident. I'm sure he didn't have insurance, and he probably didn't have a driver's license. My car is in the shop right now. So, no we can't isolate this part of the forum to just car issues.
But do you know for sure that the guy who hit you is a recent immigrant? I believe that the poster's caution is that we be careful and blindly blame everything bad that happens on recent immigrants.
Old 12-12-16, 09:26 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Bring it to the debate forum. People in this part of the forum are here for a CAR CHAT.

Going back to you accident, how do you know that the guy who rear-ended you was an illegal immigrant without a driver's license and insurance. Maybe, he was just on a joyride in his grandpa's Oldmobile and did not want to be caught? YOU DON"T KNOW as you said yourself that he fled..LOL...
Old 12-12-16, 04:35 PM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=JessePS;9701111]I am ashamed to be a Montrealer because of this. Most of the blame is on part of the city though and the rest is on the drivers.

I even know don't hold down the brakes, it makes a bad situation even worse. Tap, release, tap, release. Gain enough control to slow down or move out of the way of the obsta
I feel bad for the drivers caught in that storm. I have a lot of relatives there in Montreal, Toronto, and the SOO.
Old 12-12-16, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Bring it to the debate forum. People in this part of the forum are here for a CAR CHAT.

Going back to you accident, how do you know that the guy who rear-ended you was an illegal immigrant without a driver's license and insurance. Maybe, he was just on a joyride in his grandpa's Oldmobile and did not want to be caught? YOU DON"T KNOW as you said yourself that he fled..LOL...
I agree. Argue the immigrant stuff in the debate forum. A million different things could of happened to cause this.
Old 12-12-16, 07:26 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I know he rolled his window down and I attempted to talk to him before he floored it but he just looked dumfounded. That's a pretty good indication. I'm by no means a Trump advocate who wants to build a wall, but it has become difficult to drive in Texas without someone wandering into my lane, crossing over three lanes to turn, driving as if they have no idea where they're going or just plain causing accidents.

​​​​​​http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas...esearch-center

Last edited by dseag2; 12-12-16 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: An Icy Pile-Up in Montreal.