Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How pissed I would be that an Audi dealership allowed this?!?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 07:44 AM
xmike714x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How pissed I would be that an Audi dealership allowed this?!?!!?

Love watching this guys channel on youtube since he talks about cars that I probably wont be able to drive. HAHA. So the gist of the story is, he goes to pick up his Porsche that was just serviced and then a salesman *i assume takes him on a test drive on a brand new RS7. Dude starts reving it on cold start! WTH! I will let you watch and give me your output. In my opinion, I would want to break in the car myself.

Old 12-07-16, 08:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like a demo car. What is the big deal?
Old 12-07-16, 08:24 AM
xmike714x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if it wasnt a demo car, in my opinion i would hate to see this if i bought that exact car.
Old 12-07-16, 08:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by xmike714x
Well if it wasnt a demo car, in my opinion i would hate to see this if i bought that exact car.
Okay, I get what you mean now. There was a window sticker if I was correct so likely this was not a demo car but perhaps an in stock new model. But perhaps it will become a demo car. I get what you mean.
Old 12-07-16, 09:10 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by xmike714x
what you don't know, don't hurt.

That's why I will never buy (would lease) a demo, corporate or over 20-30 miles sports car. Doesn't matter how much of a discount I'm getting. Also forget lease returns, they are abused to the pulp since the first day. My friend uses launch control on a daily basis with his lease. Some buyers might disagree and "think" they are getting a great value and think it's been babied. Wishful thinking...
Old 12-07-16, 11:01 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my Aston Martin I test drove a bunch of other models, and what do you think the sales guy did? He revved the engine while it was cold to show me how raw they sound. We even drove the crap out of them while still cold, it's all part of the experience when buying a performance car.
Old 12-07-16, 11:37 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Eh. The car will be alright.

Originally Posted by ssmoked

That's why I will never buy (would lease) a demo, corporate or over 20-30 miles sports car. Doesn't matter how much of a discount I'm getting. Also forget lease returns, they are abused to the pulp since the first day. My friend uses launch control on a daily basis with his lease. Some buyers might disagree and "think" they are getting a great value and think it's been babied. Wishful thinking...
I completely disagree with this; your n=1 sample size shouldn't be extrapolated to the entire lease population. It's definitely not a rule that people with leases abuse their cars for the duration of their lease. My family consults me on many car purchases and I've very frequently helped them purchase off-lease CPO cars. They've checked out just fine almost every time. In many instances you can even check to see how many times launch control was used- on the last 5 cars it's been <5.
Old 12-07-16, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I completely disagree with this
I'm not sure I agree completely with either position here. Engines today, particularly during the break-in period (which itself is much shorter than before) are generally more resistant to abuse than they once were. Still, new or old, most engines are not designed to run at high RPMs with cold oil. One should keep the RPMs down below 3000 or so until the blue cold-light goes out or the needle on the temperature gauge reaches the lower end of the normal range (around 140 degrees F, or 60 C). Then, when the oil is warm, then you can red-line it.
Old 12-07-16, 04:59 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I babies my cars which are all leases, rarely even drive aggressively. Well, if I do aggressively driving, or more than 5 sec floor on the gas will get me to jail so soon.

Whoever person gets my lease return will be happy, most of the time the doorstep films are still on, and I drive 15000-19000 miles in 3 years lol.
Old 12-07-16, 06:09 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

buy a tesla. problem solved.
Old 12-07-16, 06:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure I agree completely with either position here. Engines today, particularly during the break-in period (which itself is much shorter than before) are generally more resistant to abuse than they once were. Still, new or old, most engines are not designed to run at high RPMs with cold oil. One should keep the RPMs down below 3000 or so until the blue cold-light goes out or the needle on the temperature gauge reaches the lower end of the normal range (around 140 degrees F, or 60 C). Then, when the oil is warm, then you can red-line it.
You misunderstood that part of my post-I was responding to the bolded statement that suggested that you should avoid lease returns. You'll note that above the quote I my post says "Eh, the car will be alright" which is in regards to the original post.
Old 12-07-16, 07:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Also forget lease returns, they are abused to the pulp since the first day....
I'm not sure if I agree with this either. I feel leased cars are mostly maintained well and "babied" even, if only because people know dealers will charge an arm and leg when you turn them in for even the slightest imperfections. My dad quit leasing cars because of that.

I may be weary of a BMW M car or Corvette, for example, but that goes for *any* used one of those.

A lease return would barely, if at all, register on my radar when buying a car.
Old 12-07-16, 07:18 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I saw the video yesterday and enjoyed it.

I believe the saesman is the one doing the thrashing of the car.

I watch a lot of his stuff. I like how he has a big bowl full of key fobs to fish through.

I never buy a used car and try to pick ones that only have a couple of miles.

The trashing we see here is why Acura put strict constraints on what can be done with customer's NSX's.

My dealer had to ask me if it wa ok to take the car across the street for gas. The car only had 2 miles on it at delivery. Acura's target market info notes that most of their customers want the car to have no mileage on it when delivered.
Old 12-07-16, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You misunderstood that part of my post-I was responding to the bolded statement that suggested that you should avoid lease returns. You'll note that above the quote I my post says "Eh, the car will be alright" which is in regards to the original post.
OK...Gotcha. I thought you and ssmoked were referring to abuse and over-revs on a cold engine.
Old 12-07-16, 07:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Eh. The car will be alright.

I completely disagree with this; your n=1 sample size shouldn't be extrapolated to the entire lease population. It's definitely not a rule that people with leases abuse their cars for the duration of their lease. My family consults me on many car purchases and I've very frequently helped them purchase off-lease CPO cars. They've checked out just fine almost every time. In many instances you can even check to see how many times launch control was used- on the last 5 cars it's been <5.
Totally agree with you. I baby my leased cars like they were my own. I honor the break-in period and don't abuse them. My leased cars get recommended maintenance. I even have them detailed periodically. My leased A4 got two dents and I had them taken out immediately. My S5 had curb rash and I had it repaired. Leased or not, it is MY car and I want it nice.

Getting one of my cars at lease end is like getting a new one. My last S5 sold in no time when I turned it in because it was in pristine condition. I lease my cars because I don't want to invest in a depreciating asset, which is not unlike much of the population that lease luxury vehicles. Very few people who lease cars neglect them because even within a 3-year period things can go wrong, and as someone else mentioned, we are liable for unusual "wear" at the end of the lease.

Last edited by dseag2; 12-07-16 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: How pissed I would be that an Audi dealership allowed this?!?!!?