Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota announces new engines & transmissions !

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 06:19 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota announces new engines & transmissions !

Looks like the engine drought is finally over !

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ve-driving.htm

Old 12-06-16, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Almost no meat on the bone. What are the other configurations?
Old 12-06-16, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If the article is correct (it is a company press-release, of course), that's a lot of new stuff coming in just 5 years. Hope it all turns out to be reliable, as most Toyota/Lexus hardware is. But a large number of new engines and transmissions like that, in just a few years, could (?) open the door to potential teething problems.
Old 12-06-16, 07:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If they introduce a turbocharged 4 cylinder like Audi has it would be time to celebrate. But they also need to introduce a DSG transmission to make it sing! I'm not feeling 8-10 gears. It just reminds me of the Acura TLX and Chrysler 200 that can't seem to find the right gear. Even when the 4GS went from 6 to 8 gears there were complaints from owners that the 8 gears just hunted more. I hope they get this right.
Old 12-06-16, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If they introduce a turbocharged 4 cylinder like Audi has it would be time to celebrate.
Lexus already has a 2.0L turbo in-line four........it is used in several of their current production models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-06-16 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, they do, but they not like the ones used in Audis.
Old 12-06-16, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

tired of press releases and teasers about what will be coming years and years away...
Old 12-06-16, 09:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I swear Toyota is one of the most boring and conservative companies(they didn't use to be that way). Press release about new engines, the one they highlight is a boring 2.5 liter 4 cylinder that goes in cars like the Camry where the people who drive them don't even know or care what sort of engine they have under the hood. Come on, spill the beans about your next V8 or whatever other sort of twin turbocharged terror you guys are cooking up.
Old 12-06-16, 09:19 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
^ Come on Grumpaw, get excited... 17 versions of 9 engines in the next 5 years... ignore the conspicuous absence of the word new in that statement... de-tuned, re-tuned, shme-tuned and lex-shme-tuned... can't wait! Come on bit, put a smile on that mug!
It does say 'New' in the press release.

New 2.5-liter Direct-injection, Inline 4-cylinder Gasoline Engine. See excerpt below:

Toyota has named its new line of internal-combustion power plants "Dynamic Force Engines". To bring out the new engines' potential to the fullest, their basic structure was completely rethought using TNGA, and their overall structure and configuration were wholly innovated to achieve high-level driving and environmental performance. Work will continue to make the new engines even more advanced.

The new engines employ high-speed combustion technology and a variable control system. They also achieve greater thermal efficiency, resulting in high output, due to a reduction in energy losses associated with, among others, exhaust and cooling systems and the movement of mechanical parts. Their lineup includes a 2.5-liter engine that has one of the world's best thermal efficiencies*3?40 percent when used in gasoline-powered vehicles and 41 percent when used in hybrid vehicles (HVs). This new, thoroughly reconsidered and greatly evolved engine features numerous new technologies, such as technologies for minute control that make it highly responsive and allow it to generate ample torque at all speeds.
Old 12-06-16, 09:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm a bit surprised they are making a big deal about a new 2.5 four cylinder. I assume that is meant for cars like the Camry and Lexus CT. With most companies migrating to small turbo base engines, Toyota seems to want to stick with naturally aspirated units. Must be something special if they are passing up the trend. In other news, I really hope they work on the 3.5 V6, which feels course and rough to me.
Old 12-06-16, 10:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I always thought Toyota's current V6 to be very refined and smooth. It just sounds awful, especially in the uppper rev range(thank god you can't really hear it since its quiet).
Old 12-06-16, 10:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If they introduce a turbocharged 4 cylinder like Audi has it would be time to celebrate. But they also need to introduce a DSG transmission to make it sing! I'm not feeling 8-10 gears. It just reminds me of the Acura TLX and Chrysler 200 that can't seem to find the right gear. Even when the 4GS went from 6 to 8 gears there were complaints from owners that the 8 gears just hunted more. I hope they get this right.
The DSG isn't without its faults too. People frequently complain about the hesitation from the transmission, even on the 2017 A4's. Might not be a problem for you but I noticed it and several reviewers did too. My personal favorite transmission is still the Porsche PDK followed by the ZF 8-speed in Audi or Jaguar calibration.
Old 12-07-16, 12:21 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tired of press releases and teasers about what will be coming years and years away...
You're complaining that they will refresh their engines over the next 5 years in 60% of the vehicles they will sell by 2021?

Complain when they don't do anything and complain when they are doing something.

--

First set of engines will be arriving in products starting next year.

Within the five years to the end of 2021, Toyota plans to introduce 17 versions of nine engines, including the 2.5-liter engine announced today, 10 versions of four transmissions, including multi-geared automatic transmissions and a new kind of continuously variable transmission, and 10 versions of six hybrid systems.
Old 12-07-16, 02:39 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I assume "new" 2.5 and hybrid drivetrain are the least interesting or new thus that's why they were announced today before anything else.
Old 12-07-16, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I swear Toyota is one of the most boring and conservative companies(they didn't use to be that way). Press release about new engines, the one they highlight is a boring 2.5 liter 4 cylinder that goes in cars like the Camry where the people who drive them don't even know or care what sort of engine they have under the hood. Come on, spill the beans about your next V8 or whatever other sort of twin turbocharged terror you guys are cooking up.
Probably cause the new camry is coming next yr and will use that as a base engine and in the hybrid.

Quick Reply: Toyota announces new engines & transmissions !