Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?

So, our lease is up on our G37 Vert in June. We want more utility. I am leaning towards an Audi A5 Sportback or an Allroad. I love my A4, but Audis don't tend to lease well. The other car under consideration is the Infiniti QX30. I saw a couple today at the Fort Worth Auto Show, and they are pretty sharp inside and out. The reviews look positive, but I can't seem to find any type of owners' forum for this model. I'm assuming they are not selling well, since my dealership has over 100 of them.

I will have to say, the Jeep Grand Cherokee I sat in was incredibly impressive. However, that particular model was just shy of $60k. I still can't justify that amount for a Jeep.

I know this is ultimately up to me, but what are your thoughts on each of these vehicles? Any input is welcome.
Old 12-04-16, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

When you looked at the QX30, did you compare it to the QX50? The 50 is a more dated design, costs a little more, but, IMO, is a very nice vehicle inside and out, and was designed back before Infiniti, as a brand, developed the rather mediocre reputation it has gotten today. Neither the 30 or the 50 have much room behind the rear seat....cargo space is very tight by hatchback standards.
Old 12-04-16, 08:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I drove a QX50 back when it was an EX50 (?) and wasn't impressed with the drive or the short seats. I have researched it. I know it still has the 6 cylinder VQ engine and has lots of power for its class, but the fuel economy reflects it. Also, the interior has the dated infotainment system that we have in our G37, and I'm ready for something else. I won't go into all the reasons why the nav system isn't intuitive. Just take my word for it. We were trying to enter a destination today and it took forever. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Old 12-04-16, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I drove a QX50 back when it was an EX50 (?)
It was formerly the EX35.

Since you want utility, as far as the choice between the A5 Sportback and All-Road goes, I think you will find the All-Road more useful from a utile and versatility point of view. Its high ground clearance means good snow-go....although you probably don't get a lot of snow there in TX. And, because so few All-Roads are sold, you will probably get a good price on one just from simple lack of demand, although that could also affect depreciation and residual value.
Old 12-04-16, 08:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Is there a particular price range you're looking to stay in? That would help narrow things down. The QX30 is a reskinned Mercedes GLA so a few comments made on that car carry over. I think it'd be too cramped inside if you're also looking at vehicles like the A4 Allroad. They really just hit the dealer lots en masse which is why the online community is probably very quiet.

I drove a QX50 back when it was an EX50 (?) and wasn't impressed with the drive or the short seats. I have researched it. I know it still has the 6 cylinder VQ engine and has lots of power for its class, but the fuel economy reflects it. Also, the interior has the dated infotainment system that we have in our G37, and I'm ready for something else. I won't go into all the reasons why the nav system isn't intuitive. Just take my word for it. We were trying to enter a destination today and it took forever. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
It was formerly the EX35.

Since you want utility, as far as the choice between the A5 Sportback and All-Road goes, I think you will find the All-Road more useful from a utile and versatility point of view. Its high ground clearance means good snow-go....although you probably don't get a lot of snow there in TX. And, because so few All-Roads are sold, you will probably get a good price on one just from simple lack of demand, although that could also affect depreciation and residual value.
Don't forget the QX50 is now the long wheel base model so there's actually some space in the rear seat. Dseag2, I'm shocked that you find the infotainment system unintuitive. I always found the unit installed in that generation of Infiniti's to be quite simple to use.

Also Mmarshall, this generation A4 allroad is lifted not much over an inch over the normal A4. Hardly anything significant.

Last edited by TangoRed; 12-04-16 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 09:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't look into the A5 if I were you since you already have a A4, which is very similar.

I would at least look for some ultility and safety for the wife, so a SUV is better choice All around. If you like Audi why not just a Q5, or even a Q3? Q3 is better choice than Infiniti unless you put payment difference in consideration. I bet the Infiniti would be much cheaper to lease?
Old 12-04-16, 09:58 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A5 Sportback will be one of the most beautiful vehicles on the road when it hits showrooms, but your A4 is basically the same car.

4-series Gran Coupe? Best looking 4-door on the market in my opinion, especially in blue.
Old 12-05-16, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Also Mmarshall, this generation A4 allroad is lifted not much over an inch over the normal A4. Hardly anything significant.
I owned a similar Outback for several years. That extra inch, though, can make a difference, in some winter conditions...though I agree that, in most parts of Texas where the OP lives, (except up around Amarillo and Lubbock) truly severe blizzards and winter storms with deep snow are rare.
Old 12-05-16, 07:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

OP, have you been able to check out deals on the Jaguar F-Pace? Not sure how they're leasing but if you can get over the interior it might be a fun option.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I owned a similar Outback for several years. That extra inch, though, can make a difference, in some winter conditions...though I agree that, in most parts of Texas where the OP lives, (except up around Amarillo and Lubbock) truly severe blizzards and winter storms with deep snow are rare.
The Outback was lifted 2.5-3in. though, hence why I made the comment.
Old 12-05-16, 01:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I'd avoid the Infiniti QX30, as somebody else said its a Benz CLA with a fancy body. Not a fan AT ALL of the CLA, that same sort of tight feeling interior applies to the QX as well(its tight for a hatchback), but its not nearly as bad as the CLA. From an engineering perspective, I've never been impressed with the base/low end Mercedes products, combine that with dubious Nissan quality and engineering, its a car I'd stay well away from.
Old 12-05-16, 02:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, our lease is up on our G37 Vert in June. We want more utility. I am leaning towards an Audi A5 Sportback or an Allroad. I love my A4, but Audis don't tend to lease well. The other car under consideration is the Infiniti QX30. I saw a couple today at the Fort Worth Auto Show, and they are pretty sharp inside and out. The reviews look positive, but I can't seem to find any type of owners' forum for this model. I'm assuming they are not selling well, since my dealership has over 100 of them.

I will have to say, the Jeep Grand Cherokee I sat in was incredibly impressive. However, that particular model was just shy of $60k. I still can't justify that amount for a Jeep.

I know this is ultimately up to me, but what are your thoughts on each of these vehicles? Any input is welcome.
QX30--isn't that just an MB GLA? That's not my taste, personally. Frankly, I'd get a Mini Clubman before I'd want a GLA/QX30.
Old 12-05-16, 03:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I'd avoid the Infiniti QX30, as somebody else said its a Benz CLA with a fancy body. Not a fan AT ALL of the CLA, that same sort of tight feeling interior applies to the QX as well(its tight for a hatchback), but its not nearly as bad as the CLA. From an engineering perspective, I've never been impressed with the base/low end Mercedes products, combine that with dubious Nissan quality and engineering, its a car I'd stay well away from.
it's a gla, not a cla. anyhow, i think the qx30 is one of the most attractive cars in its segment. much better looking than its gla twin.

i think i'd choose an a5, though. the design is beautiful and audi is topping the charts in terms of reliability as of late.
Old 12-05-16, 06:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Is there a particular price range you're looking to stay in? That would help narrow things down. The QX30 is a reskinned Mercedes GLA so a few comments made on that car carry over. I think it'd be too cramped inside if you're also looking at vehicles like the A4 Allroad. They really just hit the dealer lots en masse which is why the online community is probably very quiet.

Don't forget the QX50 is now the long wheel base model so there's actually some space in the rear seat. Dseag2, I'm shocked that you find the infotainment system unintuitive. I always found the unit installed in that generation of Infiniti's to be quite simple to use.
My price range is $50-$55k, so the QX30 is well under. The A5 and Allroad are right there.

The older Infinitis have a ****, but you must use the arrows on the **** to scroll through addresses, etc. That means you keep hitting the arrow up/down/across until you input the information. It takes forever. Plus, it's high up on the dash, so honestly, my arm is tired by the time I've entered anything.

My A4 has a **** and you simply turn it to get to the letters/numbers and click on it. Or you can write the letters on the ****. It is so much simpler, and it is also right in front of the shifter handle that doubles as an armrest. Infiniti needs to seriously get up to speed. Infiniti and Audi systems...
Attached Thumbnails Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?-2015-infiniti-qx50-crossover-interior-vlp-key-features-03.jpg   Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?-a4-interior.jpeg  
Old 12-05-16, 06:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I won't look into the A5 if I were you since you already have a A4, which is very similar.

I would at least look for some ultility and safety for the wife, so a SUV is better choice All around. If you like Audi why not just a Q5, or even a Q3? Q3 is better choice than Infiniti unless you put payment difference in consideration. I bet the Infiniti would be much cheaper to lease?
My only concern is that the Q5 will be made at their plant in Mexico. The A4 and A5 are still being manufactured in Germany. Aside from that, I like what I've seen of the Q5. That would be the choice if they hadn't switched plants.
Old 12-05-16, 07:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

OP, have you been able to check out deals on the Jaguar F-Pace? Not sure how they're leasing but if you can get over the interior it might be a fun option.
I've sat in a couple of them at auto shows. The interior would be a big thing to get past. I know they drive well, but lots of reports have said they are kind of rough around the edges.

Quick Reply: Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?