Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rear-ended, hit & run :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear-ended, hit & run :-(

The title says it all. I was headed down Central Expressway in Dallas today, exited in the U-turn lane at Royal. I was the first car in the U-turn lane waiting for traffic to clear so I could go north on the access road. Bam! Kid in a beat up old Olds 88 rear ends me. He then pulled up beside me and put down his window. I got out of the car and asked him for his license information and he floored it. He was pretending to talk to me while he just waited for traffic to clear. I couldn't even get his license plate number. I floored it and tried catching up with him but he probably exited somewhere. Dammit! Called the police and they never came. Gave 911 a description of his car.

I swear, I'm starting to feel like the Universe is punishing me for caring about my cars. Or maybe it is getting back at me for not owning a Lexus. :-) I don't even commute, but the drivers in Dallas are so stupid I can't go any significant period of time without car damage. I commuted 50 miles per day on South Florida's clogged roads and never had an accident. When I moved to Dallas 10 years ago my premiums never went down even though I work from home. Now I know why.

7 months ago, a valet parking attendant pulled the front of my S5 into a concrete bench. I've had two huge dents already in my A4 (taken out via PDR) and the car isn't even 3 months old. Now this. Oh well. Back to the bodyshop and higher insurance premiums. It is starting to get routine. :-(
Attached Thumbnails Rear-ended, hit & run :-(-img_0144.jpg  
Old 12-03-16, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry to hear about the incident....I hope it works out well for you. From what I've seen over many years, Karma, God's Justice, Fate...whatever you want to call it, often catches up to people like that, sooner or later. That kid, if he doesn't learn his lesson, will probably some day wind up behind bars.....or worse.

As for valet parking, I won't point any fingers here (perhaps you didn't have any choice), but I have long discouraged the practice of using valets whenever possible (some places don't give you that option). The majority of valets are honest and good (or at least adequate) drivers....but enough of them are careless, unscrupulous, or incompetent that it is indeed a significant problem.

I commuted 50 miles per day on South Florida's clogged roads and never had an accident.
Sounds like you were fortunate. South Florida, of course, is notorious for 90-year-old drivers confusing the brake and gas pedals, running into anything that is in their way.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks for the support.

Mike, yes I believe in Karma. It keeps me going. This guy will get his.

Patrix, I will check to see if there are any traffic cams. Great idea! My S5 was as good as new after the bodywork and I will be using the same body shop, so I know my A4 will be the same.

Since we are all car enthusiasts, I know you feel my pain.
Old 12-03-16, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

As far as rear-end collisions go, that isn't bad at all. I read the title and was expecting much much worse. Count your blessings, let insurance handle it, and move on to better days. You got it out of your system now. =)
Old 12-03-16, 11:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh man that sucks! Thing like this pisses me off so bad
I'm super OCD about my car that extent to not having accident. Someone keyed my van when it was a month old, since then I lost the love to it and sold it in a year.
then someone hit my 750 when it only had 9k miles, then I ended up traded in early since it was damaged and it would never be the same.

Last month some kid was racing on the street, that he almost hit me. When I dodged him I heard a 'bam' and I thought my car was hit, then I pulled over beside him and asking him to stop so I can inspect my car, as soon as I got out of the car he floored the gas and fled, ran through a red light almost cause a huge accident. Luckily my car was fine, I think the noise was my stroller in my truck that hit the sidewall when I dodging him. You should see my wife's face, she was so relieved because she thought i was going to change car again (X6M was one year old).

couole things to your accident:
1: I'm an insurance agent, yes ins company might raise your premium due to not at fault accident since you would lose claim free discount and etc. but it usually won't increase for every NAF claim since it wasn't your fault.and some company has claim/accident forgiveness endorsement or program you can have. It's state specific so you would need to check with your agent. If your agent is a captive one, you should consider calling brokers as they carry more companies so they can find u a good one for your case.

2:depends on state law, you may not have access to the traffic cam record. Even for the accident. In Nevada, unless you have a court order or warrant, not even cop can just pull up the record.

good luck on your repair, I believe in karma as well. Just keep doing what u doing, better things should come to you very soon!
Old 12-04-16, 08:12 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry to see this. It hurts more when these things happen due to other people's recklessness. Good luck with the repairs.

Ed
Old 12-04-16, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Sucks! At least it's just the bumper...
Old 12-04-16, 11:29 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Terrible terrible. At least you're ok, the bumper can be replaced, and karma will chase him.
Old 12-04-16, 12:19 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

First thing you always do in an accident is take out your phone and video or photograph the other person's car and plates.

Damn 88 olds is worth less than your bumper. He probably didn't have insurance either
Old 12-04-16, 12:38 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to my dad earlier this year...really sucks and hope the new A4 gets fixed smoothly. In these instances, get your phone out and snap a photo ASAP as many idiots choose to bail before you have the chance to do anything.
Old 12-04-16, 06:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

this is why I have front and rear dash cams in my car...won't prevent anything but at least I'll have the satisfaction of catching the idiots.
Old 12-04-16, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks, guys, for all your input. I know the car will be as good as new after the bodywork, but it sure sucks!
Old 12-05-16, 01:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Want to apologize for my above comment. Reading back and thinking back, I'd be pretty upset too if it were my car. Sorry about that. Was not having a good night. Hope things get fixed just like new and it will be all but a memory. =)
Old 12-05-16, 04:38 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Sucks to hear about your situation, but glad that it wasn't worst.

Originally Posted by pman6
First thing you always do in an accident is take out your phone and video or photograph the other person's car and plates.
this is when you're calm and not your first accident.

Most people in their first accident are shaken up and usually don't know what to do.

Originally Posted by pman6
Damn 88 olds is worth less than your bumper. He probably didn't have insurance either
yeah, and WE regular citizen have to fork over the extra $$$ to get UI insurance to protect ourselves from these low life.
Old 12-05-16, 06:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Want to apologize for my above comment. Reading back and thinking back, I'd be pretty upset too if it were my car. Sorry about that. Was not having a good night. Hope things get fixed just like new and it will be all but a memory. =)
No apologies necessary. I didn't take offense. Even if it wasn't worse, the car isn't even 3 months old so I think that's what made me so upset. Anyway, it went to the body shop today and I'm driving a big ol' honkin' Chevy Traverse rental for the next couple of weeks. The A4 will be as good as new when I get it back. Life could always be worse. :-)

Quick Reply: Rear-ended, hit & run :-(