Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 12:12 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having owned many cars, now I look through the badge and see what the car really is. For the same price I would get a nice optioned Kia than a stripped MB or Audi as well. Would I want a luxury brand? Sure, but I usually get the top model with options I want, cost is secondary.
Old 12-04-16, 03:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
having owned many cars, now I look through the badge and see what the car really is. For the same price I would get a nice optioned Kia than a stripped MB or Audi as well. Would I want a luxury brand? Sure, but I usually get the top model with options I want, cost is secondary.
In terms of what you actually get for the money, there seems to be much less differentiation now between luxury and non-luxury vehicles today than there was decades ago. Even base-level econoboxes have many, if not most, of the features that many drivers want or need. When, for example, is the last time you saw a new vehicle in the U.S. with crank-up windows, manual push-button door locks, or an outside mirror without an adjustable motor? I think I've only seen one in the last two years......a 13K Mitsubishi Mirage. Even 3-pedal manual transmissions are becoming near-extinct on all but sports cars and (some) econoboxes.
Old 12-04-16, 05:00 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In terms of what you actually get for the money, there seems to be much less differentiation now between luxury and non-luxury vehicles today than there was decades ago. Even base-level econoboxes have many, if not most, of the features that many drivers want or need. When, for example, is the last time you saw a new vehicle in the U.S. with crank-up windows, manual push-button door locks, or an outside mirror without an adjustable motor? I think I've only seen one in the last two years......a 13K Mitsubishi Mirage. Even 3-pedal manual transmissions are becoming near-extinct on all but sports cars and (some) econoboxes.
Actually my sister's friend picked up a new Focus within the last year and failed to realize the car had manual windows and door locks. Her and her mother did not even think to check for those as they thought automatic doors and windows were an industry standard. They sure were wrong.
Old 12-04-16, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't find any of Toyota or Hondas current offerings as appealing as what is similar in each segment from Hyundai and Kia. While I agree people buy them because they're Hondas or Toyotas, I no longer agree that they're superior cars.

More and more people are trying Hyundai and Kia and over time you'll see that brand disparity cease.
Old 12-04-16, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
Actually my sister's friend picked up a new Focus within the last year and failed to realize the car had manual windows and door locks. Her and her mother did not even think to check for those as they thought automatic doors and windows were an industry standard. They sure were wrong.
According to Ford's web site, all American-spec 2017 Focus models (can't necessarily speak for the 2016s) have standard power windows and door locks (but not necessarily power mirrors).

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/models/

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-04-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 01:08 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't find any of Toyota or Hondas current offerings as appealing as what is similar in each segment from Hyundai and Kia. While I agree people buy them because they're Hondas or Toyotas, I no longer agree that they're superior cars.

More and more people are trying Hyundai and Kia and over time you'll see that brand disparity cease.
I agree with you. I went to Honda dealer looking for Honda Accord Touring and impressed with the exterior, but after step inside I said to myself "Hell no". Toyota Camry is even worse than Honda Accord.

So there are 3 cars that impress me right now inside and out:
1) 2017 Kia Candenza
2) 2017 Genesis G80 Sport (waiting for this car to see in person before make decision on one of the 3)
3) 2016 Lexus GS 350 Sport
Old 02-15-17, 05:19 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the price of a used 2015 genesis, u can pick up a base cadenza 2017 right now. if they ever have a nice lease deal then ill pick one up.

cadenza is one great looking sedan.

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I agree with you. I went to Honda dealer looking for Honda Accord Touring and impressed with the exterior, but after step inside I said to myself "Hell no". Toyota Camry is even worse than Honda Accord.

So there are 3 cars that impress me right now inside and out:
1) 2017 Kia Candenza
2) 2017 Genesis G80 Sport (waiting for this car to see in person before make decision on one of the 3)
3) 2016 Lexus GS 350 Sport
Old 02-15-17, 05:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
for the price of a used 2015 genesis, u can pick up a base cadenza 2017 right now. if they ever have a nice lease deal then ill pick one up.

cadenza is one great looking sedan.
I saw my first 2017 Cadenza at the Chicago auto show yesterday. It was a loaded model. Very nice!
Old 02-15-17, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw my first 2017 Cadenza at the Chicago auto show yesterday. It was a loaded model. Very nice!

Did Kia have a test-drive circuit set up there at the Chicago show? They have one set up every year here at the D.C. show...but it's just a few blocks around the central city streets near the Convention Center. Still better than nothing, though.
Old 02-15-17, 06:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Did Kia have a test-drive circuit set up there at the Chicago show? They have one set up every year here at the D.C. show...but it's just a few blocks around the central city streets near the Convention Center. Still better than nothing, though.
Yes, Kia had a test drive circuit along with Mazda, Ford and Subaru. I was going to drive a CX5 but didn't get around to it before we had to leave.
Old 02-15-17, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, Kia had a test drive circuit along with Mazda, Ford and Subaru.
Toyota also usually has one...and Scion before its demise.

I was going to drive a CX5 but didn't get around to it before we had to leave.
I did a review on a CX-5 not that long ago, in 2016. It will give you a basic idea of what it is like. To my knowledge, it hasn't significantly changed for 2017.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...da-cx-5-a.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-17 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 07:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I did a review on a CX-5 not that long ago, in 2016. It will give you a basic idea of what it is like. To my knowledge, it hasn't significantly changed for 2017.

Toyota has an indoor test track vs. the outdoor circuits (5 brands have indoor tracks this year). Not as thorough, but easier to go to for a brief spin. Mazda is updating the CX5 for their 2017 model year. Mechanically it will be the same, but with some nice updates/changes to the exterior and interior. I guess it's due out later this spring. We're shopping for a small CUV and it's on our list.
Old 02-16-17, 10:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2017 CX-5 is all-new.
Old 02-16-17, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
2017 CX-5 is all-new.
That's where it gets confusing. Mazda (supposedly) introduced a "2017" model at the L.A. Auto Show late last year, but my understanding was that it was going to be marketed as a 2018 model, going on sale late this year. Now, Mazda has a "2016.5" model-year CX-5 already on its website, on sale now. That suggests either a face-lifted model this year, or the all new model simply bumped up some. Whatever.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5
Old 02-16-17, 10:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

That's where it gets confusing. Mazda (supposedly) introduced a "2017" model at the L.A. Auto Show late last year, but my understanding was that it was going to be marketed as a 2018 model, going on sale late this year. Now, Mazda has a "2016.5" model-year CX-5 already on its website, on sale now. That suggests either a face-lifted model this year, or the all new model simply bumped up some. Whatever.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5
Yes, it's confusing since the model on sale now is a 2016.5 and the new model due later this spring will be a 2017. Seems like it should have been 2018 for the new model. The 2017 is on sale now in Japan will a rollout in the U.S. coming later.

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/what...sc=1-443776203