Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

But why would they want to sell the old outdated Cadenza here when they have a new model there selling in Korea? Do you not see how that makes no sense? They have the car, why not sell the new one here and get them on the same refresh schedule?
Old 12-03-16, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
But why would they want to sell the old outdated Cadenza here when they have a new model there selling in Korea? Do you not see how that makes no sense? They have the car, why not sell the new one here and get them on the same refresh schedule?
Yes, I agree with you in the sense you are using it. Again, I just didn't see much immediate difference between old and new Cadenza, except for some cosmetic work up front. But, of course, lots of stuff can change, under the skin, that is not immediately apparent.

Also, if past sales are any indication, we're probably not talking about a huge number of vehicles here, or of great popularity. The Cadenza has never been a big seller. That's one reason why it might (?) be worth a try renaming it as the G70 and selling it as a FWD, entry-level alternative to the G80 and G90. I think it would fit in perfectly....IF potential buyers don't find the letter/number system confusing, like they do with some other luxury makes. That's one reason why Lincoln brought back the Continental name instead of a 2Gen MKS.
Old 12-03-16, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's an entirely new car. It's just evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I personally would rather see Genesis stay RWD.
Old 12-03-16, 10:20 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

KIA is showing a new RWD hatchback sedan called the GT which will be the sportiest KIA to date. It is apparently based on the upcoming G70 platform and will be priced between the Cadenza and the K900. Expected power is a turbo V-6, but one of the prototypes apparently has a V-8. The concept looked a lot like a (slightly) smaller Audi A-7.
Attached Thumbnails MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza-kia-gt-003.jpg  
Old 12-03-16, 11:16 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

They build them on the same line Mike. They're not going to just keep building the old version alongside the new version, that wouldn't make any sense.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nissan actually did that for a while with the 1Gen Rogue (which they renamed the Rogue Select) and the 2Gen Rogue, which ultimately replaced it. They built and sold them together, out of the same dealerships, at the same time. Rogue Select customers, of course, got a more dated design, but a better price on the deal, and (IMO) a simpler, easier-to-use interior and controls.
That's a play out of the GM handbook- they've done that several times. That's a different play though, automakers typically do that when models have high fleet volume. The Impala and Chevrolet Captiva (nee Saturn Vue) did the same thing.

It's an entirely new car. It's just evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I personally would rather see Genesis stay RWD.
Also yes to both of these lol

Originally Posted by oldcajun
KIA is showing a new RWD hatchback sedan called the GT which will be the sportiest KIA to date. It is apparently based on the upcoming G70 platform and will be priced between the Cadenza and the K900. Expected power is a turbo V-6, but one of the prototypes apparently has a V-8. The concept looked a lot like a (slightly) smaller Audi A-7.
The GT is going to be a very interesting entry into the segment. Here's a leaked pic:

Last edited by TangoRed; 12-03-16 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-03-16, 11:25 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's a play out of the GM handbook- they've done that several times. That's a different play though, automakers typically do that when models have high fleet volume. The Impala and Chevrolet Captiva (nee Saturn Vue) did the same thing.Also yes to both of these lol
Infiniti did something similar with the Q40 (G37) and Q50 selling alongside for the first year I believe.
Old 12-03-16, 11:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't say this in the review, but I think the Cadenza might (?) be a good candidate for a FWD near-luxury, entry-level sedan in the Genesis division....similiar to Lexus's ES350. They could possibly rename it the G70, like they did with the Hyundai Genesis sedan to G80.
Hyundai equivalent is the Azera, which is getting updated for the Korean market. This will NOT be moving to Genesis brand, which has committed to the more premium RWD based platforms for the upcoming G70 and eventual SUVs.
Old 12-03-16, 11:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Infiniti did something similar with the Q40 (G37) and Q50 selling alongside for the first year I believe.
Sure did. Although that was because they were trying to field an entry in the entry level price range before the QX30 and Q50 2.0T arrived.
Old 12-03-16, 01:37 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grille looks stupid but it seems like a decent car overall.

The market for these full-size "near luxury" sedans seems to be dying though, especially since Mercedes and Audi entered the market charging less for their little CLAs and A3s. Customers, especially those under 35-40, would much rather drive low-level CLAs and A3s than cars like the Avalon and Cadenza (and I would do the exact same).

The Genesis was in this class and doing well but even that has moved under a luxury marque.
Old 12-03-16, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sedans in general aren't doing great, but I don't think the market for near luxury sedans is shrinking specifically.

I'd much rather have this car than a CLA or A3...not cars that are cross shopped.
Old 12-03-16, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Hyundai equivalent is the Azera, which is getting updated for the Korean market.
From what I understand, the Azera is being discontinued in the U.S. because of low sales.

This will NOT be moving to Genesis brand, which has committed to the more premium RWD based platforms for the upcoming G70 and eventual SUVs.
Whether it actually happens or not, though, I still think it might be a good idea. Look, for example, at how successful the FWD ES350 has been at Lexus...it is the only FWD sedan in a company full of RWD/AWD ones. The same would probably happen at Genesis, if Genesis got an ES equivalent...which the Cadenza is. Even if it did not sell in the ES's big numbers, it still would probably do a lot better at Genesis than it currently is at Kia.
Old 12-03-16, 01:51 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Sedans in general aren't doing great, but I don't think the market for near luxury sedans is shrinking specifically.

I'd much rather have this car than a CLA or A3...not cars that are cross shopped.
Agreed. You can get so much more car out of the Cadenza (or similar model) compared to a similarly priced CLA or A3.
Old 12-03-16, 01:57 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

From what I understand, the Azera is being discontinued in the U.S. because of low sales.Whether it actually happens or not, though, I still think it might be a good idea. Look, for example, at how successful the FWD ES350 has been at Lexus...it is the only FWD sedan in a company full of RWD/AWD ones. The same would probably happen at Genesis, if Genesis got an ES equivalent...which the Cadenza is. Even if it did not sell in the ES's big numbers, it still would probably do a lot better at Genesis than it currently is at Kia.
I agree, but I think there is so much overlap among Hyundai MoCo given the Sonata/Optoma, Azera/Cadenza, and the Genesis can all be optioned where the prices overlap. I'm for Hyundai ditching at least the Azera and putting the funds towards something else, preferably with two doors.
Old 12-03-16, 02:00 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Agreed. You can get so much more car out of the Cadenza (or similar model) compared to a similarly priced CLA or A3.
yeah, but you'd be driving a kia.
Old 12-03-16, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yeah, but you'd be driving a kia.
I'd rather drive a nice Kia than a stripped out CLA or A3.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza