Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What an Upgrade. 2017 E300

Old 11-28-16, 05:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default What an Upgrade. 2017 E300

Christmas came a bit early for me. I picked up my Obsidian Black, P3 package, 19" 5 spoke on black Friday. I ordered my car on August 31 and told them to build me a car for mid to late December delivery. My thought was that I could get the best deals around Christmas. Too bad for me, the car came a bit early, but I still got a pretty good deal I think ~10%. A P3 package car is rare and they had difficulty finding one in the system to give me when I placed the order and had to trade with another dealership. It was a must have for me to get the Drive pilot and all the safety systems as well as the HUD. Already with 16K in options, this car is missing the pano sunroof and the air suspension. From a value standpoint, I have to say I do not find this car's price offensive in any way. Back in 2010, I purchased my RX450h from about 10% less than this car, and the amenities and technology here are in a different league.

Just over 8 years ago, I started a thread about my 2009 C350 which I was ecstatic about. I am about to sell it with 54K miles on it. Reliable and trust worthy, that car was built to be tough. I only just developed a rattle in the rear sunshade, and all Ive ever needed to do is routine maintenance and the occasional bubble in the side wall of the low profile 18" tires.

Ive put on a little more than 100 miles on the E. This is really a dream come true. Even though I can't quite get to the S class territory, this car has exceeded my expectations in every way. Quality of materials is a huge step up from anything I've owned. The LCD instrument cluster is a joy to look at even though I keep it on the "classic" look. Ambient lighting is a crowd pleaser as well as the multi contour seats that hug you in the corners, not to mention the massage feature that is over the top. As for infotainment, it is a little confusing because of the added features, but it is noticeably better than the 2015 C class my sister owns. That car has the new touchpad controller and new interface but they really cleaned it up in the E.

Drive pilot is a cool party trick. Works great on very slight bends and straight roads, though to my eyes, it doesn't stay quite in the center of the lane but slightly to the right for some odd reason. Without warning, the system can shut off and even steer incorrectly. I wish it gave an audible alert when it turns off like in a Tesla but it doesn't. In addition, the stalks for the cruise control and the turn signal are now in the "correct" location but after driving my old MB for 8 years, my mind has it reversed and I keep confusing them.

Lastly, the 4 cyl engine. This was my only real concern. I have to say though, even though it is the same engine found in the w205 C, there is much more sound and vibration deadening in the E to make it live-able. When the engine fires up from the auto start/stop, it is noticeable less harsh and startling. Sound is still a bit disappointing above 2500 rpm and I have yet to do any real acceleration but I am sure I will learn to live with it. Power does not seem to be a problem and I am enjoying the mpg figures compared to the 3.5 V6 in my C.

My old C350
Old 11-28-16, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Well done and nice car!
Old 11-28-16, 06:42 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks Great!!
Old 11-28-16, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Very nice! Congratulations!
Old 11-28-16, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations....nice car. I like that purplish light in the interior shot.

Why black paint, though? That's probably the most difficult color to take care of.
Old 11-28-16, 07:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Baby S class inside and out. Congrats!
Old 11-28-16, 07:23 PM
RXSF

Thanks, everyone!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations....nice car. I like that purplish light in the interior shot.

Why black paint, though? That's probably the most difficult color to take care of.
Yes, black is difficult but I have no problems taking good care of my paint. A majority of my cars have been black and in my eyes, no other color exudes this much elegance. I always go for the metallic black if available which hides swirls better. Most mercedes lots wont carry this obsidian paint but the regular black.
Old 11-28-16, 07:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Congrats, looks great!
Old 11-28-16, 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

big congrats! car looks awesome!!!!!! i thought really hard about the car, but i really didn't want to settle with the 300. if i wait for the 43, it will be another few months before discounts appear on the car.

it's definitely high up on my list as my next car!
Old 11-28-16, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Thanks, everyone!

Yes, black is difficult but I have no problems taking good care of my paint. A majority of my cars have been black and in my eyes, no other color exudes this much elegance. I always go for the metallic black if available which hides swirls better. Most mercedes lots wont carry this obsidian paint but the regular black.
black mb are already on the easier side due to how hard their paint are. lexus black is a total pita because it's so soft, swirls appear very easily

and you are right, nothing beats a clean black car. there is a reason we have obsidian gl550 and gs350 now
Old 11-28-16, 09:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the new Benz. They've been knocking it out of the park in terms of interior appointments on their new sedans, the new S-class is Bentley levels of fit/finish with the Designo trim for 100k less than a Bentley. Is the new E-class somewhat comparable to the S(maybe a base model S class) in terms of interior appointments?

About the only thing I don't like about the new E-class is that they launched it with only a 4 cylinder engine. Personally I could just not justify purchasing a prestige automobile with a 4 cylinder, part of the prestige is having a bigger, better, engine with more cylinders than joe blow in his $20k turbo Civic.
Old 11-28-16, 09:45 PM
RXSF

Forgot to include that the ride is so much better and less choppy than my C class. Even though this is the sport suspension and has the 19s, the ride is smooth and floats over bumps and the rear end feels less lively. Also the PSI is way too high at the moment so it will still be better.
Old 11-28-16, 09:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! Classic color combo, it looks great!

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Congrats on the new Benz. They've been knocking it out of the park in terms of interior appointments on their new sedans, the new S-class is Bentley levels of fit/finish with the Designo trim for 100k less than a Bentley. Is the new E-class somewhat comparable to the S(maybe a base model S class) in terms of interior appointments?

About the only thing I don't like about the new E-class is that they launched it with only a 4 cylinder engine. Personally I could just not justify purchasing a prestige automobile with a 4 cylinder, part of the prestige is having a bigger, better, engine with more cylinders than joe blow in his $20k turbo Civic.
Well. I just drove an AMG E43 this past weekend and I can say those who have been waiting won't be disappointed.
Old 11-28-16, 11:18 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Personally, if there is a good case for the 4 cyl, then I couldn't care less that my car has the same cylinder count as a civic. The only downside here is the sound and vibration and I think they have done a good enough job to suppress those issues. It depends on each person's definition of prestige. I enjoy driving home after a day's work with my heated, massaging seat, with my car half driving for me. That is all I care about.

As for interior appointments, I think the E is on par with the S, and outshines the S in many areas, such as the new safety features and even the dual screens being one sheet of glass instead of separated units in the S. However, I don't know why MBUSA did not include a stitched dash on the sport models. That is the only missing component
Old 11-28-16, 11:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the beauty! My neighbor just got the exact same car. Enjoy!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What an Upgrade. 2017 E300