Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS-F, Audi S Quattro, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 02:25 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your 20-30k budget on an used S4, it prob will turn out to be a maint/repair nightmare. The older Audi is just not that reliable. You should check on S4 reliability from various Internet forums first.
Old 11-30-16, 09:16 AM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Subarus are so ugly though. The new WRX doesn't even look like a WRX, more like a Toyota Corolla clone. Still they're a fun car to drive, practical, and it would be a new car with a warranty.
Eye of the beholder. I do agree that the new body style isn't as appealing, I prefer the GC and GR body styles.

Originally Posted by ISF117
I just hate that everyone and their dog has a subaru. You bring up a great point though, and I might just wait out a while till I can get what I really want. I've got a few months to think it over before I'm planning to buy anyways.
Its for a very good reason. They're cheap cars that hold resale, and perform extremely well. NA models are bulletproof, and if you get the FA20DIT or EJ257 you just need to make sure you mod properly and keep up good maintenance.
Old 11-30-16, 10:59 AM
ISF117
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
For your 20-30k budget on an used S4, it prob will turn out to be a maint/repair nightmare. The older Audi is just not that reliable. You should check on S4 reliability from various Internet forums first.
Yeah I've kinda been getting the sense that this would be true. Saw one video about a guy with an s4 with 52k miles and he said he had a small oil leak problem.
Old 11-30-16, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Been in love with the IS-F since I was like 16, tried to persuade my dad to get one but he never did. Will soon be in the market to by one myself between $20-30k, but now I've gotta think if it's the best buy for me, or if I should get something else.

I'm attending a university out west, so snow comes and goes in the winter months, and I've heard the F doesn't do so well in that stuff. Wouldn't mind a rack for snowboards, skis, etc. Thought about something lke an S4 in the same price range. How does an 08-10 F compare to a 10-13 s4?

Just really trying to decide if AWD is worth the trade off of not having my F and all of it's glory. I've driven an F, but never really been able to compare the difference to another 4 door with awd. Reliability is another thing, as I'll be purchasing something with some miles on it.

Any opinions or other car suggestions with similar performance?
what exactly is "out west"? If it doesnt get heavy snow for a long periods of time, you will be fine with RWD.

As to the RWD vs AWD, on same type of tires (winter or summer) RWD is simply a lot more fun to drive normally, while it is much harder to break traction in AWD.

Kind of seems you should be looking at WRX... check forums for reliability some engines were better than others if I remember correctly.
Old 11-30-16, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by C1Forged

Its for a very good reason. They're cheap cars that hold resale, and perform extremely well. NA models are bulletproof, and if you get the FA20DIT or EJ257 you just need to make sure you mod properly and keep up good maintenance.
No, they aren't necessarily bulletproof. Manual transmission WRX models have had clutch and transmission issues, and other Subarus have had issues with rear wheel bearings, CVTs, oil consumption from defective piston rings, and premature head-gasket failures.
Old 11-30-16, 05:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Is a G37x too soft for you? Unfortunately you can't get the sport suspension on the AWD model but it's still fun to drive with its rear-biased AWD.
Old 12-05-16, 11:54 PM
ISF117
Driver School Candidate

What does anybody know/think about an Evo X MR?
Old 12-06-16, 12:19 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a pretty complex car, AWD, turbocharged engine, so its going to be a PITA to work on. Plus its probably been driven VERY HARD by its previous owner. I don't mind if the previous owner drove it hard, but there is a fine line between pushing it and abusing it. Things like a 6,000rpm clutch dump to get that awesome 1.6 second hole shot at the drag strip is just murder on the transmission and drivetrain. Also things like doing hack mods, ie not upping the boost in a safe manner are another thing(IE reprogramming the computer to up the boost without a bigger intercooler and other supporting mods). Its one of those cars you really need to join a forum and read, read, read, maybe go visit a couple times with the local Evo club before buying one. Its one of those cars that you can buy an absolutely awesome machine from an informed owner who kept it stock or knew what they were doing when tuning it, or you buy a great looking but mechanically unsound car that has been ragged on and ghetto modded. The big danger is unless you are very well informed, you could buy a great looking, great driving lemon that is hacked up and abused by its previous owner.
Old 12-06-16, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Noisy as hell, and rides like a Go-cart over bumps, but the handling is superlative by sedan standards.....virtually track-grade. Used ones will probably have been driven very hard, and have a lot of wear on them.
Old 12-06-16, 12:39 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Evo X MR will be generally bulletproof engine wise. Check the engine bay thoroughly for signs of previous mods [stripped paint on nut/bolt heads, factory paint checks not lined up, etc.]. The T-Case is the weak point of the EVO past stage 2 mods [Intake & full exhaust with tune], or anything north of ~400whp [achieve able with stage 2 on E85 on factory turbo]. Other than that, you should have no issues with it as long as its a low mileage pick up. Granted, like with most WRX/STI's, picking one up used is a 50/50 as most owners have modded and/or driven it hard, and abused them off the bat. Doesn't take much know how in regards to Evos vs. a WRX/STI for what to know going into it, if it drives nice without any hesitation from the tranny, you're good to go. Subaru you have to be careful about the engine.
Old 12-06-16, 09:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Also I don't know what your expectations are in terms of refinement, ride quality, having a nice interior, etc. A Mitsubishi EVO is going to be the polar opposite of something like the IS-F or Audi S4, those are quiet, refined, luxury cars. . Cars like the IS-F are great because they can be race car one minute, quiet luxury sedan for that long commute or 6 hour interstate drive. The EVO, well its a race car all the time. Which is fun, but you just need to know what you're getting into. If the flinty ride, cheap interior, recaro seats, etc get on your nerves during the test drive, its probably not the car for you.
Old 12-06-16, 11:48 PM
ISF117
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, was just curious. Doesn't seem like me.

I'll probably be grabbing a mid-range mileage IS-F one of these days next year, and some snow tires eventually if need be. I'll most likely be transferring to another university further south within the next year or two anyways. It keeps coming back to the beast. Reliability is wonderful as well from what I've seen. Saw one listed the other day with 248k miles. Amazing. Can you imagine an e90 m3 with that kind of mileage?